PDA

View Full Version : Fairly new diver buys gear at Scubatoys

shortypots
06-30-2008, 12:25
Hi Folks, I wanted to get some opinions on the packages my DH and I decided to go with. We bought our packages through Scubatoys.

For me, I got the following:

Zeagle Zena BCD
Tusa RS-130 reg
Mares Brigade Viper Octo
Aeris XR-1 with compass

For DH, he got:
Dacor Talon BCD
Tusa RS-130 reg
Mares Brigade Viper Octo
Aeris XR-1 with compass

Did we make a good decision? We are brand new divers having less than 10 dives under our belts, and do not plan on becoming Nitrox certified anytime soon.

Appreciate the help.

harb99
06-30-2008, 12:48
my wife loves her Zena - i have no input on the other items, but have heard some good things about the RS-130 being a very good reg for the price

fireflock
06-30-2008, 12:53
Hi Shorty -

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes when it comes to gear, but everything on your list is stuff that I know gets good reviews on average.

I don't know if you have any plans to dive in NC, but reconsider the nitrox computer if you do. It really makes a difference and the training isn't long or hard.

Check out ncdivers.com if you're looking for local places to try out your gear (quarries and such).

Rich

texarkandy
06-30-2008, 12:58
This is almost exactly the same package as my daughter & I bought after we got certified last year (except I got a Zeagle Brigade BCD & we have the Atmos 2 computers - previous model to the XR-1)

We are very happy with 20 OW dives under our belts now (both ocean & lake dives) & numerous training dives in our home pool. Even had a few compliments from some DM's re: our gear. I suspect you'll be happy too & can feel pretty good about your purchase. If you got it from ST you can feel pretty confident the price was right also.

I've found I've developed a habit of liking to dive upside down to look under ledges on the reef and found the RS-130 seems to breathe just as well in that position as any other.

(although I must admit the BP/Wing advocates here & on SB have gotten me curious already about losing the BCD & maybe even going the long-hose route! You'll know I went over to the dark-side when you see my gear in the classifieds section :) Daughter says she's sticking with her Zena, loves it.)

Martin2
06-30-2008, 13:17
Looks like a nice setup. I'm sure you'll be happy with it for some time to come. Though, like many others, I would suggest you consider Nitrox when you're comfortable. I think you'll be pleased with the outcomes it has on your bottom time.

shortypots
06-30-2008, 14:04
I would say I am still in the "freak out" stage, so Nitrox is a ways off for me. I freaked out pretty bad in our first Ocean dive and was unable to make the second dive. I was so anxious I didn't eat much for breakfast, and being hypoglycemic, it is not a good mix. I have since done two dives at Disneyworld, so feel more comfortable, but still not quite ready for really deep dives.

I appreciate the comments on the NC diving. We actually found Fantasy Lake Dive Park is only about 45 mins from us and has a dive shop on site for air fills. We bought some candy colored tanks and wetsuits so we will be fully outfitted and can go anytime. But I will definitely check it out for other local places!

fireflock
06-30-2008, 14:35
The dive shop at Fantasy Lake closed last year, but there are still limited services available on busy days and there are still plenty of divers around.

It's a good place to get some practice in.

Rich

shortypots
06-30-2008, 14:49
We were mainly concerned about getting air fills and weights. Do they still have a place to get air?

fireflock
06-30-2008, 15:09
Sometimes. The compressor is still there, and I think they run it on the busier days. There are also a handful of good dive shops in the area that can fill your tanks and I think more people have started using that option.

I don't know about weights. It's been a long time since I rented any so I don't pay attention anymore.

BSea
06-30-2008, 15:22
I have since done two dives at Disneyworld, so feel more comfortable, but still not quite ready for really deep dives.
Just for clarification, Nitrox isn't for diving deeper, it for staying down longer, or just as a safety factor. I don't know the price difference between the XR-1 & the XR-2, but if there is even a remote chance that nitrox is in your future, then I'd look to upgrade. It's better to have it and not use it, than to have to buy new computers if you decide down the road that you want to do nitrox (just my 2). But either way, welcome to the diving community.

shortypots
06-30-2008, 18:54
I think we are going to stick with the xr-1's, I do not foresee us using Nitrox in the near future (2+yrs). If we end up diving a lot, we might go for advanced open water, but I think that is a couple of years off too due to the cost.

If we decide to get Nitrox in the future, we will just upgrade at that point. This was the most affordable way to get our own gear and get a computer with it instead of just gauges.

shortypots
06-30-2008, 19:13
Sometimes. The compressor is still there, and I think they run it on the busier days. There are also a handful of good dive shops in the area that can fill your tanks and I think more people have started using that option.

I don't know about weights. It's been a long time since I rented any so I don't pay attention anymore.

Do you know their names so we can input them in the GPS before we go?

Largo
06-30-2008, 19:23
Hi Shorty,
If you are looking for a nice, easy, shallow ocean dive, check out the Alexander Ramsey off of Wilmington. It's a 400 foot Liberty Ship, and it is sitting at about 40 feet.

Aquatic Safaris in Wilmington are really nice people, and for a small extra sum, they will assign you a personal Divemaster to show you around the wreck and look out for you.

www.aquaticsafaris.com (http://www.aquaticsafaris.com)

fireflock
06-30-2008, 19:42
Do you know their names so we can input them in the GPS before we go?

scuba raleigh nc - Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=scuba+raleigh+nc&ie=UTF8&z=8)

WaterWorld is closest to Durham. I've never been over there, but friends have. I also know people who get fills at Gypsy Divers, Down Under Scuba, and Carolina Dive Center. Bill's has been closed for some time, but still show up on the map for some reason.

dive10killer
06-30-2008, 19:57
Should have went with Zeagle everything

Martin2
07-01-2008, 09:46
Hi Shorty,
If you are looking for a nice, easy, shallow ocean dive, check out the Alexander Ramsey off of Wilmington. It's a 400 foot Liberty Ship, and it is sitting at about 40 feet.

Aquatic Safaris in Wilmington are really nice people, and for a small extra sum, they will assign you a personal Divemaster to show you around the wreck and look out for you.

www.aquaticsafaris.com (http://www.aquaticsafaris.com)

This was our first post cert dive. The op was wonderful and made sure we were as comfortable as possible. They would be a good choice for early ocean dives if you don't mind driving to Wilmington.

Martin2
07-01-2008, 09:51
I would say I am still in the "freak out" stage, so Nitrox is a ways off for me. I freaked out pretty bad in our first Ocean dive and was unable to make the second dive. I was so anxious I didn't eat much for breakfast, and being hypoglycemic, it is not a good mix. I have since done two dives at Disneyworld, so feel more comfortable, but still not quite ready for really deep dives.

I appreciate the comments on the NC diving. We actually found Fantasy Lake Dive Park is only about 45 mins from us and has a dive shop on site for air fills. We bought some candy colored tanks and wetsuits so we will be fully outfitted and can go anytime. But I will definitely check it out for other local places!

It'll pass with practice. I also had quite a bit of trouble with my first dives. Got horribly seasick and was pretty much miserable. God bless my patient husband and the wonderful DMs that were with us.

Please post when you decide how you like Fantasy Lake. Sadly, there isn't a lot of diving options in the Charleston area and we often find ourselves looking to NC to go dive. That might be another option to add to our list.

shortypots
07-01-2008, 13:39
I was hoping for a dive center closer to Fantasy lake since we will only have 1 tank each and would probably need fills after the first dive, unless you can get more than 1 dive per tank. Not sure since I have not really dove enough to know.

Does Fantasy lake have a phone number to call to see if someone is there to fill your tank?

fireflock
07-01-2008, 20:08
I think there is a phone number on the website, but you will probably get a machine. I would expect someone to be there on most summer weekends.

Another option is to stop by a shop (Gypsy might be on your way), rent a tank for the day, and return it on your way home. The cost is only a dollar or two more than a fill, which you will easily save in gas by not having the leave the quarry between dives.

Rich

Sasha_K
07-01-2008, 20:31
Welcome to the diving community.

I am a begginer diver too, and when I was purchasing mine , here at ST, people recommended me not to mix-match the brands

i.e. in your case

Tusa RS-130 reg
Mares Brigade Viper Octo

Tusa RS-130 reg
Mares Brigade Viper Octo

However, since Joe and Larry sold it to you, I am sure they are compatible, I have great amount of trust in those guys

Take care

Martin2
07-02-2008, 18:28
I was hoping for a dive center closer to Fantasy lake since we will only have 1 tank each and would probably need fills after the first dive, unless you can get more than 1 dive per tank. Not sure since I have not really dove enough to know.

Depends on the length of the dive, depth, and your buddy's air consumption. I can usually get by with one tank to my husband's two.

Largo
07-08-2008, 08:15
If you are prone to sea sickness, make sure that you eat some breakfast.
Having some food in your stomach will actually reduce the likelihood of getting sick.

You might also try sipping on ginger ale, that seems to help some people.