PDA

View Full Version : Key West Diving Info Request

metis_atlantis
06-30-2008, 14:38
I'm planning on going to Key West in October-can anyone tell me what the diving is like there (reefs, fish, etc.) and at that time (visibility, temp)? It's a toss between this and Bimini (which I am familiar with), and I've been to Key Largo in the winter (which wasn't the best-wrong time of year). Thanks!

USF_Diver
07-03-2008, 07:30
Ive heard the best diving in the keys is at key largo not key west.

Don't live in the area so I can't give you to much info on key west diving.

Bimini would be cool, I would like to dive there one day.

mike_s
07-03-2008, 09:18
I'm planning on going to Key West in October-can anyone tell me what the diving is like there (reefs, fish, etc.) and at that time (visibility, temp)? It's a toss between this and Bimini (which I am familiar with), and I've been to Key Largo in the winter (which wasn't the best-wrong time of year). Thanks!

If you want to go just for great diving.... don't drive all the way to Key West, stop in the upper keys. Better diving and less expensive hotels.

Don't know when you're going in October, but if you don't want to be there during Fantasy Fest, then you need to double check your dates. You will be "rudely awakened". :smilie39: (google it if you don't know what Fantasy Fest is).

For diving and island, I'd much prefer Bimini over Key West, but only if you're staying on a boat. I've never used the dive shop on South Bimini, but I would suggest it over the shop on North Bimini. The guy who owns and runs that shop has to be one of the biggest assholes in the scuba industry that I've dealt with.