PDA

View Full Version : Danglies

Zenagirl
07-01-2008, 04:56
During our orientation with Bonaire Dive and Adventure this past Saturday morning, I was so pleased to hear them stress (more than once) the importance of NOT HAVE DANGLING GEAR. Then the next day on the dock, I saw a DM walk over to a diver who was getting ready to go in the water, and grab her hanging SPG and talk to her about securing it, finally shoving it through the arm hole of her BC to keep it from dangling. Kudos to BDA for working hard to educate folks! :D

navyhmc
07-01-2008, 05:57
For a second there, I was wondering where you were going with a thread about ear rings (my neice calls any ear rings that hang down danglies.)

At least that is where I was hoping you were going. :D :D

I agree, some folks seem to revel in the amount of gear that is hanging down when they suit up. I think it's a freudian thing.

Vercingetorix
07-01-2008, 06:42
I just don't understand why anybody wants to have gear that dangles, if for no other reason, is that it damages the gear.

As for the diver-girl in question, sounds like she she be diving off the short dive boat.

rumblefish
07-01-2008, 07:18
I'm glad someone is emphasizing this. I hate danglies and prefer to have my gear streamlined. Less drag, less damage to equipment and less possibility of causing harm to the environment...what's not to like. This is something that OW classes should emphasize more, but unfortunately are not.

Bigg_Budd
07-01-2008, 07:56
I just don't understand why anybody wants to have gear that dangles, if for no other reason, is that it damages the gear.

Cuz they don't care.

crgjpg
07-01-2008, 08:00
Probably because they dont own the gear.

BSea
07-01-2008, 08:16
Unfortunately, the people that need to read this are the once a year dive trip people that don't have a clue about how to secure their gear. And they don't spend their free time reading scuba forums. It might be that they don't care, but more likely, they just don't know how. I saw 1 couple that ran their consoles over their shoulders & through the velcrow loop for their inflator hose. At least it dangled out in front of them...sorta.

mitsuguy
07-01-2008, 08:18
and its not so much the gear they have, it's just their lack of attention to get it secured right... there are so many little things you can do to get almost everything out of the way...

mm_dm
07-01-2008, 08:24
I agree, some folks seem to revel in the amount of gear that is hanging down when they suit up. I think it's a freudian thing.

A Freudian thing...very creative!:smilie39:

fisheater
07-01-2008, 08:44
I suspect that a fair number of instructors have their OW students dangle their SPGs so as to make it easier for them to monitor their air status.

Then, the newly certified, dive-only-once-a-year-on-vacation divers think that that is the way it's supposed to be.

FailedExistence
07-01-2008, 08:52
I suspect that a fair number of instructors have their OW students dangle their SPGs so as to make it easier for them to monitor their air status.

Our OW class never talked about securing your equipment ... everything dangled and dragged throughout the entire class and the checkout dives.

Once my wife and I purchased our own equipment we immediately went to work securing our equipment and making sure it was all held close to the body.

So I guess part of it could be just ignorance about the topic - however based on my very limited experience with diving it seems that most people are in too big of a hurry to get in the water to worry about it. :(

BuzzF117
07-01-2008, 08:54

Then, the newly certified, dive-only-once-a-year-on-vacation divers think that that is the way it's supposed to be.

When I rented gear from my LDS his spg hose was short enough it wouldn't dangle but long enough you could pull it up and read it. I personally have my spg clipped to my chest with something like this BCQRLN1, Accessories-Clips & Retractors, Cetecea, BCQRLN1 (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=BCQRLN1) its a little short for navigating but I can read pressure and depth with zero problem. I keep everything easily in reach and always in same location since im blind in one eye and find everything by feel.

caroln
07-01-2008, 09:41
Thankfully our shop teaches the students in OW from day 1 to secure any danglies, but they do seem to be in the minority.

harb99
07-01-2008, 09:49
I personally have my spg clipped to my chest with something like this BCQRLN1, Accessories-Clips & Retractors, Cetecea, BCQRLN1 (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=BCQRLN1) its a little short for navigating but I can read pressure and depth with zero problem.

same clip for me and my wife - if you need to navigate, just use the squeeze release - it is easy to snap it back when you are finished navigating

gthomas
07-01-2008, 11:25
Thanks for reminding me I need a new clip to secure a few of my danglies

Rockhound76
07-01-2008, 13:05
I was bitten by a chub (four times) while in Grand Cayman. One on the finger and three tims on my legs. For some reason, that made me worry about those evil fish biting my danglies.

I just can't bring myself to clip them, tho'.

Rockhound76
07-01-2008, 13:06
sorry...i should have read the ENTIRE thread. In the words of Roseanne Roseannadanna, "Never mind."

navyhmc
07-01-2008, 14:45
I was bitten by a chub (four times) while in Grand Cayman. One on the finger and three tims on my legs. For some reason, that made me worry about those evil fish biting my danglies.

I just can't bring myself to clip them, tho'.

That's what a thong or speedo is for......:smilie39::smiley36:

Splitlip
07-01-2008, 18:27
Instructors and students with dangling hardware. Seen it.
I clip my daughter's console to her right shoulder D ring with this. I can monitor her computer and gas with a glance as can she. If she really wants to navigate, she unclips and she's there.

As for the need to dangle, I think it is genetic. From the days our ealry ancestors ran around naked.
Often people say "I have a great BC. Lots of d-rings." It's in our DNA. But nurturing can overcome nature. We all learn.

JimHar99
07-01-2008, 20:59
Instructors and students with dangling hardware. Seen it.

I've see ads in scuba magazines with dangling hardware.
I just watched a clip from the WII scuba game (Endless Ocean) and the divers had dangling hardware.

Vercingetorix
07-01-2008, 22:28
There's a picture in a recent thread whereby a very frequent contributor, (who shall remain nameless) is dangling the console.:smiley36:

character157
07-02-2008, 07:55
On a recent dive a new buddy wanted to do an gear check once we got to depth...seemed like a good idea and it might help those that have a tendency to dangle things.

cutter77
07-02-2008, 17:01
Wasn't addressed in OW class....but nothing looks tackier than a photo of a lovely reef setting with a diver dragging a SPG.

navyhmc
07-02-2008, 17:08
Dangling is still alive and well, at least in some classes, they allow students to let it all hang down. I was cleaning gear and a new diver saw my DIY regulator necklace made of bungee and was wondering what it was. When I explained, she said that it beat the hades out of having to do the big swing behind her trying to grab the octo.

I am doing my part to stop folks from letting things dangle!

violakat03
07-02-2008, 20:36
Wasn't even mentioned in OW, but they did make sure to point it out during checkouts (we were in a silty-bottomed natural spring), and then in AOW we had a buoyancy competition, which included not allowing any of our gear to touch the ground. The fact I got knocked out in the first pass during the 'practice' round in the first pool session because my inflator touched made me realize how much of a mess I was! I purposely touched my tank to the hoop on the actual competition - the winner got an automatic 100% on the written final (it was through a college, who required a written comprehensive final, so the instructors tossed together an easy test), which I'd already accomplished, so I wanted to let someone else win, but I know that nothing of mine touched the ground!

Eddym67
07-02-2008, 20:42
I didn't spend 800 bucks on a computer to drag it around like an anchor. Common Sense is not very common.

mitsuguy
07-02-2008, 21:02
I know what ya mean about the pictures... I snapped one of my wife (who is typically more anal than I am about extra stuff and danglies), and her damn console is hanging away from her bc in the pic... evidently it came out of her clippy thing for it (which is cheap plastic), so, now that she is switching to a spg only, she's gonna have it clipped off (no retractor)...

Rockhound76
07-02-2008, 21:18
I was looking at some of our photos from Grand Cayman. In one, my son's light is dangling. It was actually hooked on, but it still hangs down a foot or so.

He told me that he finally took to stuffing it under his shoulder strap.

We're heading to Panama City Beach for some more diving in a couple of weeks. Before then, I'm going to rig something, probably a bike tube bungee....that he can slip the light into to hold it tight. We did that using a hose retainer on his right shoulder for the safety sausage. Works great.

CompuDude
07-03-2008, 03:07
Several of the LDS's I work with (at least, the instructors I have worked with at those LDS's) all stress the importance of cleaning up danglies. It's a start. They can't really enforce the policy beyond a strong recommendation, however... sending paying students home because they didn't buy something to clip gear off on rental gear is a bit much. We do try to show them alternate methods of attachment, however.

Zenagirl
07-03-2008, 05:38
I have to agree that I think it's more of an education thing in OW (or lack thereof) than people not caring (at least I hope so). We've found many things over the years that our OW instructor taught us have served us well, and we've not had to unlearn many bad habits (no touching, no danglies are the two big ones).

We did see the "offending" diver the next day and she had her SPG secured with a nice new retractor. :D