PDA

View Full Version : Certification Card Timeframe?

FailedExistence
07-01-2008, 09:45
Just wondering how long it took you to get your certification cards - specifically if you went through SDI?

My wife and I finished our OW certification in mid-May and still have not received our OW cert cards from SDI. Calls to the shop blame SDI, calls to SDI blame the shop. My wife and I were told originally, by the shop, that it would take around 4 weeks to get our certification cards - SDI says a couple weeks. Either way it was plenty of time for us to get our cards before our trip that is this week. When we realized that neither the shop nor SDI had a clue we found a different shop and got our PADI AOW certification done - they gave us temporary cards that day and our actual cards came in the mail four days later.

I guess it really doesn't matter anymore since we have the AOW cards - but it's the general principle of the whole thing. We paid for the certification so give us the cards... maybe I am making too much of it, but the whole situation has made me not trust SDI or the shop we went to.

JimHar99
07-01-2008, 09:51
I can't comment about SDI because all of my cets have been with PADI. I know that my LDS submits the paperwork right away. My cards have usually come in about 2 weeks.

caroln
07-01-2008, 10:06
6 weeks seems quite long, but when I did my nitrox class through SSI, it took over 2 months to get the permanent card.

It's annoying that both the shop and SDI are more concerned with who's fault it is than what they are going to do to fix it. Have either of them given you an indication of when your card should arrive after they got done blaming each other for the delay?

LRDWILDER
07-01-2008, 10:09
Not really familar with SDI, but I must say when I got my DM through PADI I did the paperwork with them and waited and waited for my cards and info to come through....Took about a month.

waytooslow
07-01-2008, 10:16
That does bring up a good question, say I finish OW on July 13th (that's the plan) can I go to CSSP the next weekend, to start the "real life" learning - does Naui give a temp card?

FailedExistence
07-01-2008, 10:20
6 weeks seems quite long, but when I did my nitrox class through SSI, it took over 2 months to get the permanent card.

It's annoying that both the shop and SDI are more concerned with who's fault it is than what they are going to do to fix it. Have either of them given you an indication of when your card should arrive after they got done blaming each other for the delay?

The shop says they submitted the paperwork, SDI says they don't have it. Calls to the shop generally result in a "We don't know, we'll call you back" and they never do. Calls to SDI generally result in a "We don't know, we'll talk to one of our regional reps and have them call you" which they never do. SDI says they've called the shop but generally that results in a "We'll call you back" and they never do.

It seems like at this point that it's the shop's fault more then it is SDI's ... especially based on my experience with them throughout the OW class. But it also seems like SDI would be a little more eager to assist a student that is trying to get some help figuring out what the hell is going on - rather then lose us to another certification agency.

FailedExistence
07-01-2008, 10:24
That does bring up a good question, say I finish OW on July 13th (that's the plan) can I go to CSSP the next weekend, to start the "real life" learning - does Naui give a temp card?

Not sure about NAUI, not even sure about SDI ... shop told us there was no SDI temp card to give, "Just come dive with us and we'll let you slide, oh and by the way what was your credit card number?" We threw a pretty large fit the middle of this month about the whole thing, before we did our AOW class so they gave us a TDI temp card without any information on it, just the instructor's signature ... oh yeah, did I mention that was back dated to our certification date of mid-May and was only good for 30 days? So by the time we got it we had three days to dive. We took it out that weekend, 4 days later, for a trip to the lake and the DM looked at it and said "This won't fly, sorry."

We took our logs with us that showed all of our dives and the instructor signature and he let us dive at that point. I assume you might be able to do that as well with your NAUI cert if they don't give you a temp card.

harb99
07-01-2008, 10:34

wow - just did a nitrox class through SSI and we had our cards in 2 weeks

FailedExistence
07-01-2008, 12:55
Just got off the phone with SDI ... they have nothing from the dive shop and the dive shop seems to have no clue what's going on. So it seems that SDI is the one being honest and trying to help but getting no assistance from the dive shop.

I wouldn't recommend this shop to my worst enemy at this point.

K9Pig
07-01-2008, 13:37
I believe that the SDI "paper work" to be submitted is now done on-line. I did my Adv Nitrox with TDI/SDI and had my CC within 1 week. The instructor did all of the "paper work" on-line that very day I finished, and received a confirmation email from SDI that afternoon... I believe too, that it's your LDS....

Merrimorte
07-12-2008, 02:20

OK side question here... Since it does take time (the amount of which in question here), to actually receive ones card.... is a signed log book adequet for certification proof or are you immediately issued temp cards... spec for ssi here.

Merri

FailedExistence
07-18-2008, 14:13
It's now been two months and I still have nothing. We have since gone on our vacation without our dive certification cards - the vacation they promised we would have the cards for. The dive shop called two weeks ago and said they "lost our paperwork but found it and submitted it" but SDI still has nothing. I tried to follow up with the dive shop but they will no longer return my call. I got a hold of my instructor who said they "lost it again and it was submitted a couple days ago".

It's become clear that this is in no way SDI's issue, but instead a very poor and unorganized dive shop. I have been nothing but polite throughout this entire situation and they have treated me rudely, constantly making it sound like I was asking for something out of the ordinary. Now they won't even call me back. Originally I didn't want to mention the dive shop by name, but I feel at this point that it is required to not let anyone experience what my wife and I have. Oasis Divers (Phoenix/Tempe) is the poorest example of a dive shop I have witnessed. Their customer service, organization, attitude, etc is a perfect example of what not to do as a business.

Vercingetorix
07-18-2008, 14:39
That does bring up a good question, say I finish OW on July 13th (that's the plan) can I go to CSSP the next weekend, to start the "real life" learning - does Naui give a temp card?Yes

digitalman
07-18-2008, 14:44

OK side question here... Since it does take time (the amount of which in question here), to actually receive ones card.... is a signed log book adequet for certification proof or are you immediately issued temp cards... spec for ssi here.

Merri

I'd hope not. A logbook can be forged by anyone, it's just paper. The only way to be sure would be to check with the cert. organization to verify the person's existance, but who actually takes time to verify cert #'s on the signature line when you're at the dive site?

bassplayer
07-18-2008, 14:45
I just re-certified with NAUI...4 weeks and waiting. When I originally certified with NAUI in 1976 it was a nice experience. Right after our last OW dive, we all sat down on the dive boat and our instuctor called our names one at a time, shook our hands and gave us our permanant c-card along with a diploma to frame. When did the service get so crappy, or is it just my LDS?

CFDAlden
07-21-2008, 02:08
3 weeks with PADI. I finish my AoW this weekend, we'll see if that holds true. :)

cajunfla
07-21-2008, 06:37
I mailed my own AOW paperwork, with instructor signatures, to PADI around June 30th. Nothing yet, but then this is Guam. Carrier pigeons take a while to get here.

TommyB
07-21-2008, 09:46
It's now been two months and I still have nothing. We have since gone on our vacation without our dive certification cards - the vacation they promised we would have the cards for. The dive shop called two weeks ago and said they "lost our paperwork but found it and submitted it" but SDI still has nothing. I tried to follow up with the dive shop but they will no longer return my call. I got a hold of my instructor who said they "lost it again and it was submitted a couple days ago".

It's become clear that this is in no way SDI's issue, but instead a very poor and unorganized dive shop. I have been nothing but polite throughout this entire situation and they have treated me rudely, constantly making it sound like I was asking for something out of the ordinary. Now they won't even call me back. Originally I didn't want to mention the dive shop by name, but I feel at this point that it is required to not let anyone experience what my wife and I have. Oasis Divers (Phoenix/Tempe) is the poorest example of a dive shop I have witnessed. Their customer service, organization, attitude, etc is a perfect example of what not to do as a business.

File an official complaint with the cert organization .
Send it via certified mail, return receipt for tracking purposes.
(not that it will do any good, but ya never know)..

You could always direct those that took your money, and keep saying they lost the paper work to this thread--
Internet has a way of correcting some people behaviors when it becomes an internet/public issue.

Rileybri
07-21-2008, 09:54
I just re-certified with NAUI...4 weeks and waiting. When I originally certified with NAUI in 1976 it was a nice experience. Right after our last OW dive, we all sat down on the dive boat and our instuctor called our names one at a time, shook our hands and gave us our permanant c-card along with a diploma to frame. When did the service get so crappy, or is it just my LDS?

I got my NAUI OW this spring and it took less than a week to get my C-Card. You might want to check with your LDS. We did not get any deplomas but I ddi get a t-shirt from my LDS for getting the highest score on the cert test. much better than a deploma I would not frame to begin with!:smiley2:

FailedExistence
07-21-2008, 10:59
It seems like the timeframe for the cards is incredibly variable, which I kind of assumed. We got out PADI cards for AOW within a week, for others it seems like it took longer.

I wouldn't have so much of a problem with it taking this much time if they had actually submitted the paperwork. If they hadn't, knowing we were doing all of this for a trip, promised to have our cards to us in less then two months. If they hadn't told us they submitted the paperwork then a week later told us they lost our paperwork. If they would return my calls. They won't even return calls to SDI apparently.

It just seems like this shop cares more about making a dollar now then keeping a customer for the future.

scubasavvy
07-21-2008, 11:09
You can take a weekend course and checkout dives, which will take about 4 days total. Or, you can a course that lasts a few weeks. Being someone who completed the PADI OW cert in a weekend, I would definitely consider taking a longer course, unless you have some sort of time constraint.

Rileybri
07-21-2008, 11:39
It seems like the timeframe for the cards is incredibly variable, which I kind of assumed. We got out PADI cards for AOW within a week, for others it seems like it took longer.

I wouldn't have so much of a problem with it taking this much time if they had actually submitted the paperwork. If they hadn't, knowing we were doing all of this for a trip, promised to have our cards to us in less then two months. If they hadn't told us they submitted the paperwork then a week later told us they lost our paperwork. If they would return my calls. They won't even return calls to SDI apparently.

It just seems like this shop cares more about making a dollar now then keeping a customer for the future.

Maybe the two months is because you are in desert! They dont beleve there are any divers let alone any PADI divers jumping to the oasis fr a dive, besides the osisi is probably a protected water way or some such nonsense! :smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

cajunfla
07-27-2008, 22:08
I mailed my own AOW paperwork, with instructor signatures, to PADI around June 30th. Nothing yet, but then this is Guam. Carrier pigeons take a while to get here.

Received AOW card this past weekend. Just under 4 weeks, but who knows how long it sat at LDS before they deciced to let me know it was there. I was expecting it to be mailed to my address, not the LDS.

pir8
07-27-2008, 22:51
For PADI it depends on whether it was submitted online or not.
Haven't done any SDI Open H2Os yet
Shop I work with has their NAUI cards brforehand and gives them out that day, no pictures involved though.

crea2k
07-30-2008, 05:32
Do you get a temp card with the PADI OW ?, my girlfriend and I are doing it next week in FL and are only in the USA for a month, do we get issued with a temp card when we've done the course as we want to go and check out ginnie springs before we leave in Sep, back to the sunny.....rainy UK. :smiley36:

pir8
07-30-2008, 09:53
If the PIC is submitted on paper there is a Physical Temp Card.
If its submitted online then the instructor needs to print a Temp Card for you.

crea2k
07-30-2008, 16:24
Ahh good stuff, thanks for that :), least there is some kind of temp card, would hate to do it then not benefit from it this time round and have to wait until I go somewhere worth diving again :smiley20:.

FailedExistence
08-08-2008, 13:52
I heard the other day and confirmed it this morning - the shop I went through for my OW course is now out of business. Amazing.

Jenn
08-08-2008, 17:38
I havent taken any classes with SSI yet but I will be doing my aow with SSI so I suppose I will find out soon. My ow certification card came in within 2 weeks from the date I become certifide with NAUI.

Merrimorte
08-10-2008, 06:22

Merri

I'd hope not. A logbook can be forged by anyone, it's just paper. The only way to be sure would be to check with the cert. organization to verify the person's existance, but who actually takes time to verify cert #'s on the signature line when you're at the dive site?

Yeah ok case and point taken. lol Anyways I got my answer... was issued a temp card until my other makes it here.