PDA

View Full Version : Pennyroyal in Hopkinsville, Ky

scbagrrl74
07-01-2008, 09:49
:smiley20:
First of all, I have to say Wow!! We dove Pennyroyal on 6/29 and were quite impressed. The first thing that you will notice when you go to Pennyroyal is the staff! They were all super helpful, Chris even made us a hotel reservation the day before and saved us ten bucks!

We did 3 dives, the first we followed the rock wall around the quarry. Vis was about 30+ feet at a depth of around 80ft.

The 2nd dive we checked out the "attractions" in the "busy" area. Lots of cool stuff including a UFO to play. Vis was lowered a bit; there were several students in the water.

Our 3rd dive we just piddled around, followed the wall for awhile, watched some fish, and took in a few more sites. This dive vis was much better than #2 we waited a little while before getting in and most everyone had already left; there were only 4 divers in the water including us!

We do plan to return to Pennyroyal again as time permits; it was a six hour drive for us!

**We will be in the table rock area for a few days if anyone is around and wants to dive. We don't have a boat so we'll be diving the dam. May go on down to bull shoals and norfork on Thursday. Any takers???

Empacher
07-01-2008, 10:56
I will be relocating to Louisville in a few weeks...Is there good diving in Kentucky?

snagel
07-01-2008, 15:56
Hey Scbagrrl74,

Penny Royal is awesome...I visited a month ago for the first time. By the way, can I get a conditions report at Scuba Steves' Midwest Diving Reports (http://www.midwestmuckdiving.com)

Snagel

merganser
07-02-2008, 06:25
What was the water temp @ 80 ft? Wet suit or dry?

crpntr133
07-03-2008, 00:42
I will be relocating to Louisville in a few weeks...Is there good diving in Kentucky?

Check out Falling Rock (http://www.fallingrockpark.com/)in Lagrange.

Go to scubaboard and watch the KY Piranha Patrol. There is always someone diving there.

scbagrrl74
07-03-2008, 14:07
Our internet is a little hit and miss right now (just tapping into anyone's unsecured that we can) so I'll give more details when we get off of vacation!

merganser
07-03-2008, 18:11
2 dives there this morning! Pretty good conditions but my 3/2 just wasn't keeping me warm below 35 feet mark. Probably, going to have to spend more money. It was 62 degrees at that level. Visibility was great and approximately 16 divers were having fun all around the Quarry.

snagel
07-03-2008, 18:33
I believe it is a fairly colder quarry; so, 3/2 probably not the best choice. I dove it in a drysuit and had problems in the deep without good insulation.

Snagel

mm2002
07-05-2008, 18:56
So what are the average temps, say late August? I really hate wearing anything thicker than my 4/3mm, but I'd consider renting, or just biting the bullet and getting my DS by then.