PDA

View Full Version : Cool Water of Upstate NY

scootermcfly
08-08-2007, 20:07
Hey all, I thought I would stop by and see what was going on here. I am from the upstate NY area (Albany) and trying to squeeze in a couple more dives this summer before the cold weather hits. Going to try to hit Lake George this weekend on Saturday, thermocline is in the 50s, if anyone cares to take a dip.

Scooter McFly

DivingsInMyBlood
08-08-2007, 20:50
hello and welcome matey

Disneymom
08-08-2007, 20:52
Welcome!
50? brrrrrrr....

yankeefan21
08-09-2007, 07:51
Welcome aboard, Scooter!

I'm in the Capital District area myself [Saratoga via Albany] so I know just how much you are looking forward to entering the frigid waters at Hearthstone Park... :smiley2:

Who are you using as your LDS? Just ST or someone here?

Foo2
08-09-2007, 10:24
Welcome to the boards! 50, eh? hmmmmmm...I think I'll pass this time. A warm water whimp here. Have fun!

Liv7301
08-09-2007, 10:52
I am from the Rochester area and my husband is from Utica, though we live in Texas now. We spend at lot of time up there visiting family but don't dive much there because of the water temps. Without a dry suit it can be limiting. Welcome to the forum Scooter!

Matt
08-09-2007, 11:40
Welcome!

I went to RIT for schooling, and thats where I got cert'd. I loved diving in the finger lakes.

GET A DRYSUIT!!!

I bought a used $300 drysuit, and it was perfect for me. DUI cf200x. Went diving in the lakes and the st.lawrence river. Once, I jumped out of the boat, and went diving.... then when I surfaced, it was snowing!! :)

scootermcfly
08-09-2007, 20:24
YankeeFan,

I usually use Diving Discovery on Central Ave for tank fills and renting tanks cause it is on the way home from the office. Otherwise, for any other supplies, I use ST. Where do you usually get your stuff from?

Scooter McFly

cummings66
08-09-2007, 21:57
Hello, I'm a misplaced person here. Born in Fulton and lived in Syracuse up until my 5th grade. Someday I'm looking forwards to diving back there, any good spots you can think of? It doesn't matter time of year, I dive year round and there's no temperature I won't hop in at. It was 48 on my last dive at a lake here in MO. 96 outside, 86 surface temp, and 48 at depth. I love diving, and talking about it. I hope you feel the same and post often.

Centerius
08-09-2007, 22:13
Welcome to the board!

yankeefan21
08-10-2007, 09:17
I usually use Diving Discovery on Central Ave for tank fills and renting tanks cause it is on the way home from the office. Otherwise, for any other supplies, I use ST. Where do you usually get your stuff from?

Scooter McFly
Same here. Susan has my $$ for an upcoming Rescue Diver course she's been promising me for over a year. I guess she's talking about doing one in September after an Advanced course so we'll see. Let me know if you are signing up!

BTW - have you ever heard of the Albany Aquanauts? They are a dive group here. Good bunch of people if you want to check them out. Lots of good divers. It wasn't a good fit for me because they didn't have anyone within 15 years of my age group but I may give them another shot next year...

scootermcfly
08-10-2007, 11:27
YankeeFan,

Yes, I know a couple of people from the Albany Aquanauts, but have never dove with them. I took my course at the YMCA in Guilderland and the instructor was from the http://www.adirondackscubaclub.com/ and they tend to go to Lake George and the Sacandaga.

I might stop at DD today to get a fill for tomorrow, I'll ask about when the Rescue Course is going to be and maybe I'll join you on that. I'm going to PM you some contact info so we can try to hook up one of these days.

Scooter McFly

Nodivewidow
08-21-2008, 17:44
How is the diving in Lake George and where do you usually dive? We are 35 miles north of Syracuse and always looking for something different. We have gone to Alex Bay and St Lawrence on the weekends.

Jaymeany
07-14-2009, 22:02
Have you dove Skaneateles? If not PM me and we'll set up a time to dive!