PDA

View Full Version : Walmart (or other) Bags?

Ron G.
07-01-2008, 19:51
Well, I had a rolling duffle bag, but decided that its' 12# weight was taking up too much of my total allowed weight.

I'm real tempted to replace it with a lighter rolling duffle from Walmart. I've read favorable posts here about them, but I don't think they carry the specific styles that folks have recommended. The two I see are:

Walmart.com : Travel Concepts Sidney Rolling Duffel Bag, 36" Black : Luggage (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9870578)

and:

Walmart.com : Protege 30" 2-Section Large Rolling Duffel- Charcoal Black & Grey : Luggage (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4809775)

The $30 price certainly seems right and they appear to both at, or just below, the 62" max. dimension allowed by the airlines.

Anyone have experience with either of these bags...or something similar?

I don't mind spending more, but I think one of the things you buy with better (i.e., more expensive bags) is more weight. Also, if a $30 bag will do, that works for me.

Also, what about a large-ish carry-on. I'm thinking a backpack style, but something relatively big to hold my reg, mask, computer....plus stuff I can't fit in my rolling duffle.

Thanks in advance.

Ron

oddbod
07-01-2008, 20:27
Well, I had a rolling duffle bag, but decided that its' 12# weight was taking up too much of my total allowed weight.

I'm real tempted to replace it with a lighter rolling duffle from Walmart. I've read favorable posts here about them, but I don't think they carry the specific styles that folks have recommended. The two I see are:

Walmart.com : Travel Concepts Sidney Rolling Duffel Bag, 36" Black : Luggage (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9870578)

and:

Walmart.com : Protege 30" 2-Section Large Rolling Duffel- Charcoal Black & Grey : Luggage (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4809775)

The $30 price certainly seems right and they appear to both at, or just below, the 62" max. dimension allowed by the airlines.

Anyone have experience with either of these bags...or something similar?

I don't mind spending more, but I think one of the things you buy with better (i.e., more expensive bags) is more weight. Also, if a $30 bag will do, that works for me.

Also, what about a large-ish carry-on. I'm thinking a backpack style, but something relatively big to hold my reg, mask, computer....plus stuff I can't fit in my rolling duffle.

Thanks in advance.

Ron

The 2-section one looks just like a US Divers I've had for years, works great as you can separate clothes and gear, just remember most are made of fairly waterproof material so if you put wet stuff in you will need drain holes and salt water will rust out cheap components, rivets, axles etc. faster.

mike_s
07-01-2008, 20:53
I started out with a "Walmart Bag". Think I paid $38 bucks for a roller duffle. it was bascially one big canvas blend with one big zipper.

it worked good for a couple years....

but taking it on the dive boat and getting it soaked with salt water from being under the seat and having wet dive gear in it quickly took it's toll....

It ripped apart on the baggage caurosel at Atlanta International a few years ago.... scattered my dive gear everywhere....

The stitching in the bag just couldn't handle the extra weight of the dive gear, the soaking, etc... the zipper wasn't heavy duty enough for dive gear either.

I've found that buying a bag that is built heavy duty is worth it now and risking losing your dive gear to baggage handlers is also not worth skimping on cheap dive bags either....

Do you really think any bag for sale at Wally-world for $30 bucks is stitched heavey-duty or have a heavy-duty zipper in it?

chace_nicole
07-01-2008, 21:00
If you have a Big Lots up there, it might be worth checking out. Last week I picked up one that looked like the bag in your pic. Rolling duffel w/compartment on the bottom for fins...$20. I don't expect it to last forever, but it will do. Its a Champion brand, blue & black.

tc_rain
07-01-2008, 21:52
I have the exact walmart bag you have linked and it works pretty good. Everything gets thrown together in the large compartment except the fins and boots which are put in the bottom compartment. I have used it on two trips so far without any problems.

DallasMarineBio
07-01-2008, 22:14
when traveling I use a neoprene/codura rolling suitcase I got from Academy for about 30 bucks, inside is either an 8 dollar el-cheapo duffel that I can easily replace when it tears or a mesh bag, travel in the suitcase, go to the boat in the mesh/duffel bag.

When not flying, however I opt for these as my gear bags:

http://www****bbermaid.com/rubbermaid/product/product.jhtml?prodId=HPProd2939118

I think the 30 buck walmart bag will work just fine, and if you only get a couple years worth out of it, no big deal it was only 30 bucks!

character157
07-02-2008, 07:43
This is the bag I am looking at...not too much cash and a decent amount of space.

Tusa RD2 Rolling Dufflel Bag, Dive Bags, Tusa, Tusa RD2 Rolling Dufflel Bag (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=TusaRD2)

Not to mention it does not have a dive flag all over it to give away the contents.

Empacher
07-02-2008, 07:49
I've found that cheap bags fail at the most inconvenient times. I guess its ok if it rips right in front of you and you can claim all of your gear...Different story if it fails on the conveyor getting sorted in the back. Your stuff is everywhere and some teenaged baggage handler is left with the responsibility of gathering your stuff....
I try to buy the strongest, best bags that I can afford

Martin2
07-02-2008, 10:12
Agreed. If you go with a cheaper bag, be sure to keep a good eye on it. I think the biggest issue is more weight that it should probably handle and the gear being wet (if you'll put it in wet which most of us will). We travel with a middle of the road bag and do just fine, but we never take it to the boat and try to put everything in wither dry or mostly so. So far it has been ok. But I don't think I'll cout on it for too much longer.

68raggtop
07-02-2008, 10:44
I have this bag
REI Wheelybag Rolling Duffel from REI.com (http://www.rei.com/product/747539)
It has held up well so far. We had it for the last airline trip, it looked better than the rest of our checked bags by the time we got home. I have been using it an all my local trips as well and it has given me no concerns about it's durability yet. That said, I doubt I would expect it to last more than a couple of seasons for that price.
Almost forgot, it weighs just under 9 lbs. That was one of the factors that helped me decide to try it.

Rockhound76
07-02-2008, 10:52
Now that we are forced to reduce the weight of our baggage, while getting in all in one checked bag+one carry-one, we're reducing the weight our luggage, as well as the items we carry.

I'm migrating to lightweight duffles (no wheels) for checking in and a lightweight mesh bag for taking on the boat.

On the last trip, our lightweight luggage faired better than the HD stuff. My youngest son's rolling HD case came back from Grand Cayman, through Miami, with two huge cuts on the side and both wheels torn off. The fiberglass insert in the bottom was snapped in half. My wife's HD roller had a big tear across the top and a cardboard hard case of souvenirs inside (wrapped in towels) was crushed.

Of course, Continental denied any responsibility.

My son and I both used cheap duffles. They made it through fine.

No advantage to either style, IMO. The HD ones might last longer, but I don't think a $300 will last 10x more than a $30 one.

Grizbear98
07-02-2008, 14:33
I got a cheaper roller suitcase set from value city, it seemed okay when we bought it when I started college. I took it on its first plane ride to Belize this year, and it barely made it back. I'm not sure if it was the luggage bag itself, or the way it was treated by the airports, probably a mix of both. It did protect my gear though, but I don't think its going to last much longer. Its more of the brand of suitcase than how much you pay for it. You can get good suitcases and duffles at places like Ross and TJ Maxx for a much less cost, but they last just as long. I would personally trust that over another off brand bag.

jtaffar
07-30-2008, 10:33
we have a biglots here in fort smith. i'll have to check it out. otherwise i'll check out wally world... thanks for the tips.

Damselfish
07-30-2008, 10:50
Generic bags can be cheap and work really well. And some actually have pretty good and suitable hardware, just pay attention to that. We used to use Jansport rolling duffels that we bought for $29 and they were great for years. Relatively light because it was just a plastic bottom and wheels but not a real cart, and without lots of weight adding pockets and junk. Never really wore out, we just got to where we wanted something different.

The secret to not having your airline bag damaged by salt water, is not taking your airline bag on the boat. It's rare a bag that's suitable to check is suitable to use on a dayboat. For tropical dayboats pack a mesh bag. And even if you occasionally need to pack slightly damp gear, there's no reason it should be salty at that point.

sravin1
07-30-2008, 11:41
I personally feel that cheap bags are not the way to go especially if they are going to carry expensive stuff...

Monkeylemon
07-30-2008, 11:50
I've used a cheap-a** Walmart-type rolling duffel and was happy with the performance. It carried my gear just fine, seemed well-made enough, and was under $30. I don't know what its longevity will be, but I was happy to save my $$ for other stuff.

dbsea
07-30-2008, 12:23
I had a large luggage piece for my dive equipment but after the third flight the zipper failed catastropically while the heavy nylon fabric over the rest of the unit was still ok. Since we were departing from Hawaii the next day, I spent hours searching for a replacement with an EXTRA HEAVY DUTY zipper. It was an inconvenience but at least it didn't happen with the airport. Buy the best luggage you can afford---some of the good stuff is lightweight!

mcr0112
11-30-2008, 20:04
I used a wlamart bag to go to egypt for my gear except reg. I also used two luggage straps one in each direction. It came bag with a small hole caused by rubbing against something. It won't last but does fold flat and holds everything

mrm777
11-30-2008, 23:07
Have used a Walmart rolling duffle for 3 years with no problems....and the rollers still work! I do put an extra restraining strap around the middle to reinforce it tho.

dannybot
12-01-2008, 20:28
I have the exact walmart bag you have linked and it works pretty good. Everything gets thrown together in the large compartment except the fins and boots which are put in the bottom compartment. I have used it on two trips so far without any problems.

Me too, took it on four trips so far, works well, holds up so far. I can fit a full set of gear including lights, two wet suits, spare mask and swimsuits. I have even fit in my regs for the trip home. Walmart.com: Protege 30" 2-Section Large Rolling Duffel- Charcoal Black & Grey: Luggage (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4809775)

mrm777
12-01-2008, 23:13
That looks just like the one I've had except mine was dk blue and khaki. Maybe this one is an update. The only problem I had was with the two large buckles coming undone, even with no pressure on them.

Walmart.com: Protege 30" 2-Section Large Rolling Duffel- Charcoal Black & Grey: Luggage (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4809775)[/quote]

tndiverdude
12-08-2008, 00:12
Failure was one reason why we stuck with making our own from cordura with nylon grommet holes.
However we have been looking at roller duffels and found some good dive bags at the local salvage places of all places.

think if you have 2 bags one to dry and store while the other is in use rotating would help prolong the life.

jimmy

Lone Frogman
12-08-2008, 03:59
If you got a bunch of cheap gear, than its ok to use a cheat bag.

cummings66
12-08-2008, 11:44
Cute advice, but I'm not so sure. The cheap bags are so cheap that they often fail in less than one trip. I had one of those bags, zipper ripped out on the first use.

Lone Frogman
12-08-2008, 18:14
If you got a bunch of cheap gear, than its ok to use a cheat bag.

What I should have said is "you get what you pay for". I find almost everytime I try to save a buck, it ends up costing me more. First you try the cheap one, than you have to replace it with what you should have bought in the first place.