PDA

View Full Version : New Pressure Gauge

MEL-DC Diver
08-08-2007, 21:07
Folks,
I am in the process of re-configuring my rig and am looking for some input on the SPG. I intend to have the SPG on a hose by itself and w/o a boot. The following are my requirements:

1) Be able to take your standard knocks and drops w/o an issue. Basically, a sturdy piece of equipment.
2) Display 100 psi increments
3) Ideally would have bar and PSI displayed, but will go with strict PSI if the 100 PSI increments are not available w/ the bar+psi config.

Based on what you are using and/or are aware of, what SPG do you know of that fits the above? OMS comes close, but doesn't make it on #3.

Regards,
MEL

mike_s
08-08-2007, 21:22
I assume if you want it to sturdy to take knocks, you want one made of brass instead of plastic.

check out this one (http://www.divesports.com/mall/xsscuba_gau_compactbrassSPGSPECIAL.asp) for $55 bucks that's OEM'd by XS Scuba.
has 100psi increments and is made of brass and glass front.
you can get a boot for $7 bucks more. (Scubatoys used to have these on their website, but their link doesn't work or it's not in inventory anymore)

http://www.divesports.com/images/brassglasslarge_lg.jpg

Dive Rite makes one that is brass and has 100psi increments also.

MEL-DC Diver
08-08-2007, 21:27
Mike,
That fits the bill perfectly and I will go that route if no one is aware of one like this that doesn't have a bar breakout as well. Thanks for the input.
MEL

Look at that - my hundredth post.

ScaredSilly
08-09-2007, 09:15
Most do not because because having two scales at that resolution next to each other would be hard to read.

This guage is made by the same company and branded for XS Scuba, Salvo, and TDL. Probably some others. That said brass and glass is the way to go.

Judestudio
08-09-2007, 15:40
Folks,
I am in the process of re-configuring my rig and am looking for some input on the SPG. I intend to have the SPG on a hose by itself and w/o a boot. The following are my requirements:

1) Be able to take your standard knocks and drops w/o an issue. Basically, a sturdy piece of equipment.
3) Ideally would have bar and PSI displayed, but will go with strict PSI if the 100 PSI increments are not available w/ the bar+psi config.

Based on what you are using and/or are aware of, what SPG do you know of that fits the above? OMS comes close, but doesn't make it on #3.

Regards,
MEL
What about the OMS G-240 (SPG with plastic boot, 32 hose). Comes in 52mm and 63mm diameters.

http://www.omsdive.com/images/g-240.jpg

ST should be able to order in. They're OMS dealer.

ScaredSilly
08-12-2007, 12:30
Note the resolution in the guage - 250 psi (50bar). As such about the best you can figure your gas pressure would be around +-125 psi (25 bar). With the other the resolution is 100 psi (20 bar) so you can figure the pressure to be around +-50 psi.

The above is resolution - it has nothing to with either guages accuracy or precision both could be just as accurate and precise.

Also with both guages I hate the stupid "color" zones. The time to turn the dive varies with each dive. I like like Salvo cause it got nothing on it.

Judestudio
08-12-2007, 16:53
Note the resolution in the guage - 250 psi (50bar). As such about the best you can figure your gas pressure would be around +-125 psi (25 bar). With the other the resolution is 100 psi (20 bar) so you can figure the pressure to be around +-50 psi.

The above is resolution - it has nothing to with either guages accuracy or precision both could be just as accurate and precise.

Also with both guages I hate the stupid "color" zones. The time to turn the dive varies with each dive. I like like Salvo cause it got nothing on it.
OP wanted a gauge that reads both PSI and Bar. OMS is the only one I know that has both readings :smiley13:

ScaredSilly
08-13-2007, 17:42
Right ... but the OP wanted 100 psi increments before dual bar/psi. :D

Also I was trying to doing a little education on the side for folks.

Judestudio
08-13-2007, 18:05
Right ... but the OP wanted 100 psi increments before dual bar/psi. :D

Also I was trying to doing a little education on the side for folks.

True. Mike suggested one with 100 PSI increments earlier, I was merely putting up the OMS becoz that's the one I know which has both readings. I agree with you, the resolution of the readings are no good. 200 PSI increments would involve a lot of guess work when the needle falls between lines, the BAR reading is also very small. But I guess it'll be a bit too cramped up if the readings are too fine on both the PSI and Bar, making it even more confusing to read.

I think the best thing is to go with either PSI or Bar. I use an analog SPG as a backup to my wrist-mount computer, and I went with Bar readings coz I'm more familiar with it :smiley2:

MEL-DC Diver
08-13-2007, 20:38
Thanks, guys. Yeah, the OMS is about as close as I've been able to find with both, so it looks like a dual isn't going to happen. I like the idea since I dive metric, but am diving mostly in the States these days. Makes it easier for others mostly though, since they don't have to sit through one of my conversion lectures depending on where I am and who I am diving with.

ScaredSilly, you don't like the yellow that screams "Danger, Danger!" and the red that means "you might as well give up b/c you are going to die!"? C'mon, that's right up there with "you need to be back on the boat with 500psi".

guggie
08-14-2007, 07:01
If you want something that will take the bumps, why would you consider a glass face? I'd want plastic.

Judestudio
08-14-2007, 07:16
If you want something that will take the bumps, why would you consider a glass face? I'd want plastic.
Plastic scratches very easily, overtime it makes reading from the gauge very difficult. Glass doesn't scratch. The glass/brass SPG usually gets a rubber boot that protects the whole unit so it won't break that easily. Some come with a boot when you get the SPG, however, even if you need to add one on it'll only cost you around $10-20.

skiallday
08-14-2007, 13:10
Where can I buy a rubber boot for an Oceanic SPG? Have not been able to find one. Thanks

Judestudio
08-14-2007, 17:58
ST is an Oceanic dealer, give Joe a call they might be able to get it for you, or point you to the right direction.