PDA

View Full Version : Scubatoys OW Class

Cichlid
08-08-2007, 21:43
Where do you guys do the OW checkout dives? What does that cost? Just curious!

TxHockeyGuy
08-08-2007, 21:54
Current pricing is $249.95 and all OW classes happen out at Clear Springs Scuba Park, generally referred to by the locals as CSSP.

http://www.clearspringsscubapark.com

The nice thing is they have their own private and very large pavilion with their own private dock and platform. Sure makes it easy for their OW students.

Cichlid
08-08-2007, 22:07
So it doesn't cost anything on top of the $250 to do the check out dives?

TxHockeyGuy
08-08-2007, 22:14
That's all ScubaToys charges and it does include the OW materials (books). You will however have to provide your own mask, snorkel, fins, and booties. The only additional costs beyond that are the entry fees to the park which is $20 per day per diver and you will be there 2 days, an overnight fee if you camp which is $5, and air fills of which you'll need 3 at $8 a piece. If you end early enough on Saturday it's possible you could make it back to ScubaToys and only have to do 2 air fills.

It is also customary to tip the DM's so you'll need to take that into account as well as the cost of gas and lunch which you will need to bring with you to the lake.

Cichlid
08-08-2007, 22:23
Dang, that's pretty good. A lot of the places here in AZ want you to go with them to Mexico for the OW cert dives, so I think they overcharge you to do them at the local lake. They charge about the same 250 for the class, but they charge a 200 or so instructor fee for the lake. I could fly to Dallas for 200 and just do it with Scubatoys!

TxHockeyGuy
08-08-2007, 22:26
The book work and pool work however is not just all in one weekend, that would make the airfare a little more.

cummings66
08-08-2007, 22:37
Does NAUI do referrals? That might be an option if they do.

Cichlid
08-08-2007, 23:14
The book work and pool work however is not just all in one weekend, that would make the airfare a little more.

Maybe Joe or Larry will just let my wife and I sleep at their house.

Zenagirl
08-09-2007, 08:15
And just think, while you're at ScubaToys you could save even more money by buying your gear there!! :D

woody
08-10-2007, 04:30
Maybe Joe or Larry will just let my wife and I sleep at their house.

At prices this low, they have to live in cardboard boxes. But no sacrifice is too much for you guys.

Larry has a really nice big one that all those Aluminum 80ís are shipped in. Joe, well Joe lives in a Zeagle BC box.
Hey some new gear just arrived so they have a guest house now.

diversteve
08-10-2007, 11:54
Dang, that's pretty good. A lot of the places here in AZ want you to go with them to Mexico for the OW cert dives,
But if you do go with Ocean Planet or El Mar, it's likely that they'll do your checkout dives (at least a couple) at San Pedro Island off San Carlos.

Probably Martini Cove, it's right up against the island and sheltered. So you'd have a good chance of diving with the Sea Lions on your first divetrip. If they move the boat to Lighthouse, it's almost guaranteed...and it's likely you'll see Moray Eels, definitely Cortez Angelfish (they're all over the place) and maybe Barracuda. Might even see Octopus. Watch for Dolphins on the (long) boat ride over.

Downside is that it's a 10hr. drive down - sometimes they rent a bus.

Not to mention the fact that if you do it in summer, it's 80+ so no wetsuit to fuss with. Although wear a skin as there can be jellies in the area.

As good as CSSP might be, I doubt there's much more than some bass and bluegills there.

Where's Coolidge?

Cichlid
08-10-2007, 17:29
Coolidge is between Casa Grande and Gilbert. I think I will end up doing it at N-Depth in Chandler because of close proximity to Grandma/babysitter. Plus, I really liked Chrissy, one of the owners. She's been super nice. I did like El Mar though, lots of stuff, really helpful as well.

porsche060
08-12-2007, 11:13
The only issue I have with Scubatoys class is that they should give the classroom work the day before as if you arent local it's hard to take their class

Damselfish
08-12-2007, 12:43
The only issue I have with Scubatoys class is that they should give the classroom work the day before as if you arent local it's hard to take their class
It's kinda hard to take any class if you're not either local or going to spend enough days there. That's what referrals are for, if you want to do pool one place and dives elsewhere.

If the class was the day before OW that would be a weekday, so most local people would have to take off work - not going to be a popular option. Cramming it in isn't a positive thing for most people anyway, better to have time to absorb things.

nferra2
08-12-2007, 13:07
From my short experience, most LDS's don't like to give or take referals.

ScubaToys Larry
08-12-2007, 15:32
From my short experience, most LDS's don't like to give or take referals.

No problem for us giving them... as far as taking them, who would want to do referral dives in a Texas Lake?! But as long as they are Naui, SSI, etc, we can do referrals. Padi doesn't cover a lot of stuff that we have in our classes, so we would have to do a lot of teaching and re-teaching to do a referral for a padi diver.