PDA

View Full Version : Best way to carry a Lift bag.

Ryanh1801
07-02-2008, 23:59
What is the best way to store away a lift bag on a BP/W?

Thanks
Ryan

crpntr133
07-03-2008, 00:30
In a dry suit pocket. There are also several threads about this.

Ryanh1801
07-03-2008, 00:42
I should have put, I don't dive with any pockets.

Geoff_T
07-03-2008, 01:26
I belive oms makes several holders that are made for smb's and lift bags. I know there is a pad that is supposed to hold one and there is another that holds 3 or 2 plus a water tight cannister. Is the one top far right.

OMS Backplate & Harness Accessories http://www.OMSdive.com (http://www.omsdive.com/bc_access.html)

CompuDude
07-03-2008, 02:48
1) MC Storage pack (or similar from other manufacturers) in your bp/w.
2) Bungee loops, hang it off your bp/w.
3) Drysuit pockets, or X-Shorts pockets if your current exposure protection has none.

I prefer option #1.

cummings66
07-03-2008, 22:48
I carry mine attached to the backplate, basically it's almost on my butt and I can reach back and detach it to put it into usage.

Ryanh1801
07-03-2008, 22:49
I carry mine attached to the backplate, basically it's almost on my butt and I can reach back and detach it to put it into usage.

Do you have a picture of how you have it attached?

doczerothree
07-04-2008, 13:26
At the bottom of your BP you should have some holes...Surgical tubing. It's out of the way and very easily reached.

texdiveguy
07-08-2008, 17:22
I carry one always in a velcro closure mesh pouch tied of to my bc/R side. I will also carry a second in a waist belt pouch and have been known to secure another to a slung bottle.

caroln
07-08-2008, 17:37
Halcyon mc storage pack or x shorts pockets

texdiveguy
07-08-2008, 17:39
......... x shorts pockets

Yep bellow pockets will work good also!

Splitlip
07-08-2008, 18:22
I have used the DiveRite quick draw sleeve attached to the bottom of my plate for my big one. Now use 2 bungee loops on the bottom of the plate for my OMS. The OMS is a little too large for the DiveRite sleeve.

Have a smaller Halcyon pre-rigged to a delrin spool with 40ft of line which fits in a pocket I glued to my wetsuit.

Grin
07-09-2008, 08:06
Depending on how big the lift bag is you might just clip it to a D-ring. If you use it reguarly clip it to a Dring. If it's a once in a great while thing, figure out how to attach it more out of the way. I don't know my 50lber is there on my belt D-ring, but i can grab it and snap it off without looking. Since I use it alot that is the way to go.

CompuDude
07-09-2008, 13:59
What the heck are your folks lifting so often? I've carried one and kept in practice, but I've never had real occasion to use it.

I guess I'm the "take only photos" type.

mike_s
07-09-2008, 14:04
What is the best way to store away a lift bag on a BP/W?

Thanks
Ryan

bungee it on the side or below your BP/W. clipping it onto the bungee gives a little added protection.

TommyB
07-09-2008, 14:17
What the heck are your folks lifting so often? I've carried one and kept in practice, but I've never had real occasion to use it.

I use mine for deco stops -
Lot of drift diving around here, so no up-lines. Easier to hang on the lift bag while doing your stops.

I hang mine on the door handles on the Nomad Butt-Plate.

CompuDude
07-09-2008, 15:25

I use mine for deco stops -
Lot of drift diving around here, so no up-lines. Easier to hang on the lift bag while doing your stops.

I hang mine on the door handles on the Nomad Butt-Plate.

Sure, I hang on my little DSS SMB (https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=85) all the time. I see no reason to deploy a big honkin' lift bag for a little deco hang, though, especially if the SMB marks your position better and inflates easier.

https://www.deepseasupply.com/image_store/80009/80009_IMAGE_LARGE.jpg

TommyB
07-09-2008, 15:30
Sure, I hang on my little DSS SMB (https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=85) all the time. I see no reason to deploy a big honkin' lift bag for a little deco hang, though, especially if the SMB marks your position better and inflates easier.

:) I don't have a big honking lift-bag-
Mines a dual purpose Lift-Bag / SMB .
6 ft SMB that has 50lbs of lift..

texdiveguy
07-09-2008, 17:07
Guess I never think of actual deco stops as "little deco hangs".

SMB's if of the proper size to function as a deco bag are fine for actual deco obligation stops....but I much prefer a standard lift bag for this purpose....and they are just as easy to deploy IMO as SMB's.......my 4ft. tube SMB stays in the pocket less needed as a 'HEY I am over here you guys' surface signal.

Splitlip
07-09-2008, 17:30
I was speaking of the big DSMB's. Often referred to as (because they double as) lift bags.
My big one is about 5ft and about 40 + pounds I would guess.
Here, Courtesy of "Grin"
6 ft sausages are typically 50lb liftbags also, so they can be used for double duty. OMS, Zeagle, and a bunch of others make nice ones. We do alot of drift diving here in Florida, alot of the time the current is ripping. So the situation is to dive the wreck or spot, while the boat idles on the spot via GPS, then the diver shoots a bouy as he leaves the wreck to accend. The boat sees the bouy and follows it, while the diver slowly accends. Depending on the current, the diver might finally surface anywhere between 10ft and 1 mile from the spot the bouy was sent up. Obviously if the bouy was not used, the boat might not see you surface a mile away, and you would be lost at sea.

Splitlip
07-09-2008, 17:46
I was speaking of the big DSMB's. Often referred to as (because they double as) lift bags.
Here, Courtesy of "Grin"
6 ft sausages are typically 50lb liftbags also, so they can be used for double duty. OMS, Zeagle, and a bunch of others make nice ones. We do alot of drift diving here in Florida, alot of the time the current is ripping. So the situation is to dive the wreck or spot, while the boat idles on the spot via GPS, then the diver shoots a bouy as he leaves the wreck to accend. The boat sees the bouy and follows it, while the diver slowly accends. Depending on the current, the diver might finally surface anywhere between 10ft and 1 mile from the spot the bouy was sent up. Obviously if the bouy was not used, the boat might not see you surface a mile away, and you would be lost at sea.

And to answer the next question: Yes, I also carry a small Halcyon bag about the size of the DSS.
If however, there are a number of buddy teams surfacing at different intervals, the bigger the bag the better.

I will not blow off a deco stop, but I WILL blow off a "safety" stop in a heart beat instead of drifting markerless for 3 or 4 minutes north of Jupiter.

I did a crap dive last weekend with 8 divers. 5 bags were shot, with mine being the smallest. I shot the little Halcyon, not knowing we would be spread out like marbles. I was the last to be picked up after drifting 20 minutes. Sea's were relatively flat, so I did not whip out the big one.
I have changed my protocols. The little one will now be just a back up.

CompuDude
07-09-2008, 18:13
Here, Courtesy of "Grin"

Is it just me, or is it a little silly to refer to an SMB by it's secondary purpose? Is that like calling my car a "dive gear storage unit"? LOL

Lift Bag:
http://www.diveriteexpress.com/tools/img/gm2752.jpg

SMB:
http://www.diveriteexpress.com/tools/img/ac2788yellow.jpg

I totally get preferring a larger SMB to mark your location, doing drift dives in high seas. I don't really get using a full-blown lift bag to hang (especially after non-deco dives) when an SMB (even a little one like I use) will do just fine.

texdiveguy
07-09-2008, 18:29
A basic SMB will do for a recreational safety stop (non-deco rec. dive) in most cases......an SMB sausage are primarly designed as signaling device....from my experience doing actual deco hangs with steel doubles/and deco bottles/misl. gear a proper sized lift bag is a much better tool regardless of an ocean/Great Lakes or a quarry....drifting or standing still dive. :)

Splitlip
07-09-2008, 18:30
Is it just me, or is it a little silly to refer to an SMB by it's secondary purpose? Is that like calling my car a "dive gear storage unit"? LOL

Lift Bag:
http://www.diveriteexpress.com/tools/img/gm2752.jpg

SMB:
http://www.diveriteexpress.com/tools/img/ac2788yellow.jpg

I totally get preferring a larger SMB to mark your location, doing drift dives in high seas. I don't really get using a full-blown lift bag to hang (especially after non-deco dives) when an SMB (even a little one like I use) will do just fine.

BY Compudude

edit. Sorry in reply to compudude's post

LOL!
Yeah, that is why clarified. So used to people using the terms incorrectly, I even in my 1st post was thinking DSMB. The OP was lift bags. :)

Splitlip
07-09-2008, 18:39
A basic SMB will do for a recreational safety stop (non-deco rec. dive) in most cases......an SMB sausage are primarly designed as signaling device....from my experience doing actual deco hangs with steel doubles/and deco bottles/misl. gear a proper sized lift bag is a much better tool regardless of an ocean/Great Lakes or a quarry....drifting or standing still dive. :)

I have to disagree.

A big high marker is needed for long stops in the ocean with fast currents.

I have been on the boat searching for markers. A little lift bag ain't gonna get it in some situations. I will try and find some pics.

And, a little 3-0 marker like the Halcyon, shows up better than a lift bag IMO. Like I said, I'll look for some pics.

texdiveguy
07-09-2008, 19:00

I have to disagree.

A big high marker is needed for long stops in the ocean with fast currents.

I have been on the boat searching for markers. A little lift bag ain't gonna get it in some situations. I will try and find some pics.

And, a little 3-0 marker like the Halcyon, shows up better than a lift bag IMO. Like I said, I'll look for some pics.

I have to disagree with you....proper sized lift bags have done a great job for years in these conditions. I persl. use anti spill lift bags and standard old-school designs...they never get missed in rough conditions and are a far better tool in terms of wt. and lift distribution for gear loaded divers than a tube SMB. On rolling seas or lakes a tube or bag will and can go un-noticed by boat crews. If I feel the need for a tube marker after deploying a bag its an easy task to shoot the tube up the line, I carry a tube in all active o/w settings ocean or lake.

Splitlip
07-09-2008, 19:53
I am sorry, but that is not the case in ocean drift diving.
Please see my earlier posts.
A lift bag on the surface in rough conditions at 10 ft to a 1/4 mile , might be seen from a flybridge or tuna tower (doubt it) because of color or something. But certainly not before a large tube which shows up as a blot on the horizon. Which can be seen over half a mile away. Add frothy seas.
From a typical rec boat with no tower, you are highly unlikely to see a lift bag at all. Maybe within 50 yards or so.

in_cavediver
07-09-2008, 20:42
I have both and use both as appropriate. How I carry them - the lift bag is in a mesh Dive Rite Mask pocket on my belt. I tried the MC pack and the one time I really wanted the bag - it sucked getting it out. Now, its a buckle+velcro closure right on the belt. Doubles as a hook for the 7ft hose too!

I keep the SMB in its mesh pouch. I am with tex. If I need to shoot a bag - I'll shoot my lift back then attach the tube to itto send up. I know the bag is stable.

texdiveguy
07-09-2008, 21:00
I am sorry, but that is not the case in ocean drift diving.
Please see my earlier posts.
A lift bag on the surface in rough conditions at 10 ft to a 1/4 mile , might be seen from a flybridge or tuna tower (doubt it) because of color or something. But certainly not before a large tube which shows up as a blot on the horizon. Which can be seen over half a mile away. Add frothy seas.
From a typical rec boat with no tower, you are highly unlikely to see a lift bag at all. Maybe within 50 yards or so.

I agree with you that a tube SMB is a better signaling device than a bag....never said it was not, as a matter of fact I believe I said I also carry both 'tools'. I think you have missed my point regarding bags and tubes as a meaning of conducting deco stops....the bag is the tool that better serves that job in ANY condition. Anyone whom has none lengthy deco's with gear will agree. I am not going to try and convince anyone of this fact, it is just something you need to experience on your own....as to tubes they are not the cure all for getting spotted in rough conditions, if you are off shore you had better have other tricks up your sleeve as well.

Splitlip
07-09-2008, 21:26
LOL.
I have a lot of respect for both you guys. But, I have been diving west palm beach and Jupiter for 30+ years. This is the drift capitol of the world. Techniques were developed here that have been adopted world wide fior this condition.
Agreed, more tricks may be needed than just a tube, but, the tube is king.

Sending a lift bag then sliding a tube up is not as visible as sending up a tube and holding tension so it stands upright.

Believe me guys. Diving here is very easy. We are wusses; but for the challenge of being identified when we surface. Those who fail to play by the rules may end up a couple hundred miles off North Carolina.

When you talk of sending a tube up the bag line, what tube are you talking?

texdiveguy
07-09-2008, 22:54
Tim..... I am fine with your (and my) agreement that a SMB tube is a better means of being spotted....we all must pretty much agree to that as a general statement. I learn much from divers such as yourself that offer insight from locales that I have little exposure to, such as in your Fl. location. Diving techniques such as you mention (drift diving) are quite unique to certain parts of the world.....the Jupiter waters being just one.

I have made drift dives myself in both off shore and inland waters....in both deco and non-deco dives....my approach to obligatory deco stops and the tools required to preform those hangs is the same.

Divers go missing each year in this USA both inland and out at sea.....the precautions and steps to down play the risks stay the same regardless of your dive site. As to the best tool for deco obligations outside of a recreational safety stop is the use and proper deployment of a bag.....many tube SMB just don't cut it for that job.

For the average 'Joe' diving a single tank and possibly a pony bottle the tube SMB will offer in most cases proper flotation and stance, but it's not the case for divers carring and kitted in more and heavier gear, and particularly in rough conditions, the typical SMB tube does not offer the same dynamics as a quality bag.

I agree and accept again your stance that a tube is a better means of being spotted in many situations, but also know the inherent value of a lift bag as the right tool for any deco obligation.

We have to safely meet and complete the deco obligation before we really need to worry much about the next step in the process of the dive. :)

Splitlip
07-10-2008, 06:00
Lift bag = better deco platform. :smiley20: SMB/Tube= better signaling device.

That was easy.:smiley36:

texdiveguy
07-10-2008, 08:05
Lift bag = better deco platform. :smiley20: SMB/Tube= better signaling device.

That was easy.:smiley36:

I like's that!!! :) :)

Grin
07-10-2008, 08:24
I have one of those DSS sausages. It was a waste of money for me. I think I payed $75 for it. It has never been used. Make me a offer. Any offer. It's way to small for what we do here. It would be perfect for many others situations. I agree with SlipTip. I don't see any difference betweena 50lb lift bag or a 50lb sausage except the sausage tends to not pull you up and down with the seas as much when hanging off it. I kind of think the bag is easier seen in flat calm seas, and the sausage is 100% more easily seen in a sea condition. I virtually always use the 6 ft sausage. It is advertised as having 50lbs of lift. It works great for salvaging anchors and marking yourself or spots. The #1 concern here in SE FL is being spotted by the boat when drift diving. Everything else is a distance 2nd concern(actually no concern). Thus sending it up from the bottom, way before you surface is nice, as it gives the boat alot of time to spot you. Just about anyone who dives alot off SE FL has been lost at sea once. Those little surface sausages are worthless here. I think I have the one I bought when I first started diving, but would never think of using it. The 6 ft/50lb lift one is the best one, and the one you see everyone using here. I tryed a 9 fter(or maybe it was even bigger than that). It was too hard to fill enough before it ripped free of my hands, when sending it up, and it would never be tightly/fully inflated at the surface.

Ryanh1801
07-10-2008, 11:09
Hey Tex, what size lift bag do you use?

texdiveguy
07-10-2008, 12:01
Hey Tex, what size lift bag do you use?

Outside of my tube style SMB, I have lift bags in these sizes.... 1-25lbs.,,2-50lbs.,,1-100lbs.