PDA

View Full Version : HUD Mask

Cichlid
08-08-2007, 21:50
Are they out yet? I know Larry is excited! Who's getting one? Who wants one? Is this gonna be next month's best thread prize?? :smiley2:

the gooch
08-08-2007, 22:23
I would love to get my hands on one but it is definitely out of my price range.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-08-2007, 22:28
What is this HUD mask? does it have a display inside the mask?

medic001918
08-08-2007, 22:57
It does look cool. But given that masks can end up getting lost easily either by misplacing them or having them kicked off, I'd save the $1500 on it. Go with a regular mask and a wrist computer.

Shane

Black-Gorrilla
08-08-2007, 23:02

yup... bottom right, air integrated... made by oceanic... high on the price for me too.
maybe if i could get one for free or something i'd be happy to write a review for it... indepth

DivingsInMyBlood
08-08-2007, 23:04

yup... bottom right, air integrated... made by oceanic... high on the price for me too.
maybe if i could get one for free or something i'd be happy to write a review for it... indepth

crazy, sounds like a toy for someone with alot of spare cash.

Cichlid
08-08-2007, 23:08
crazy, sounds like a toy for someone with alot of spare cash.

Larry! :smiley20:

I guess we will have to wait for his review.

letsgodiving
08-08-2007, 23:10
Hopefully other manufacturers will follow Oceanic's lead, and the prices will drop in the next few years.

nferra2
08-08-2007, 23:45
I don't see the apeal of a heads up display. I feel it would distract from the diving experience. Its one of those things people buy just to say they have it.

diversteve
08-09-2007, 04:16
What is this HUD mask? does it have a display inside the mask?Yes

http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_computers_iddm.html

Phestr
08-09-2007, 07:31
My LDS has a demo of this, I may try to borrow it so I can take it out. I'll write a reveiw, if you'd like. I had a chance to wear it in the store, and the mask is nice, with a Shadow (i.e. very soft) skirt. You do lose about 1/5 of the right lens, but the computer is easy to read. It's wireless air integrated, has all the same functions as an ATOM 2, and even uses the same transnitter. It was a little heavier than my Shadow, but I didn't wear it long enough to check on how that would make a difference. All-in- all, a cool concept, but I didn't like the loss of visual scope, and as the ATOM 2 only runs $900, the HUGE pricetag on this did not impress me. Of course, I have also been known to kick my mask across the deck (on accident, of course), so that frightens me a bit.

letsgodiving
08-09-2007, 10:28
I don't see the apeal of a heads up display. I feel it would distract from the diving experience. Its one of those things people buy just to say they have it.

Once you get used to heads-up displays, you hardly notice them.

WV Diver
08-09-2007, 12:13
I haven't really seen one yet myself, but as with all these type things, I will likely let it pass through several generations and let the price go down before I will really take a hard look at them. I would like to have one someday.

nferra2
08-09-2007, 13:27
If you don't notice it, why do you need it? If you do notice it, then its in the way. It is not something I will put on my wish list anytime soon.

bperrybap
08-09-2007, 13:57

Its not really a "Heads Up" display like in the movies
or in the fighter planes. It doesn't overlay an image
on the glass directly in your field of view. Its really a small
computer attached to the exterior of the mask with a view
finder inside the right mask lens.
Its kind of like the view finders on the high end digital
SLR cameras

I tried on one during a demo at ST early last year. Granted
it was only in the shop and not underwater but
the position of the display is down low on the right
mask lens and didn't seem to interfere with normal vision.
You have to move your eye just a bit down to the right
to view it so its not in your normal vision but still
very easy to view.
I thought it was actually very cool.

--- bill

cummings66
08-09-2007, 18:00
I don't see the apeal of a heads up display. I feel it would distract from the diving experience.

To be honest I'd say it would enhance the dive experience. Imagine no more having to spend a few seconds raising the arm up and looking at the computer. All you'd do is flick your eyes down a second and have the information right there at hand. Nothing could be quicker or more simple.

When you look away from what you're doing and focus on something else like reading the computer attached to your wrist or some sort of retractor you are taking something away from the dive experience, by doing this you would not have to do that and so the dive continues unchecked. IMO that is a good thing.

The bad news is that at this time I can not foresee me ever buying one because if I'm spending that much money it's going to be on a diving course of vacation.

One of the reasons heads up displays exist is to allow a person to do the task without diverting their attention elsewhere, fighters are the first example, cars are the second. It works perfectly and does the job. The same thing would happen with this, it would make a better dive experience in the end.

cummings66
08-09-2007, 18:03
If you don't notice it, why do you need it?

That is the perfect example of an awesome dive experience. It's so natural that you didn't notice it and the dive was better off for it. That's why BP/W's are popular, it's like you're diving with nothing on, you don't notice the squeezes and feel like a trapped animal under water, that translates to a fun dive.

Like you, this is not on my wish list. Odd considering I'm a techno geek and love things like this. I'm not sure I'd want it if it was a gift either.

nferra2
08-09-2007, 18:47
I tend to go for simple, solid, reliable products. Keeping things simple, for me, usually creates a more enjoyable experience in all things in life.

ScubaToys Larry
08-09-2007, 19:05
We have one of them in at the shop, did the demo in the pool, and took about 2 dozen down to cozumel for some dives with a demo trip. The overwhelming conclusion... Awesome. Great mask so cool, etc. Expensive is relative - I'll admit, if you want to keep your costs down... this is not your gizmo. But I can tell you, we have pre-sold about 40 of them from folks that have checked them out. They are cool!

If in the shop, come check it out.

Judestudio
08-09-2007, 20:12
Here's a nice review for the HUD mask from Divernet (http://www.divernet.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl?id=6153&sc=2008&ac=d&an=6153:+COMPUTER/MASK+OCEANIC+DATAMASK+...).

Phestr
08-09-2007, 20:59
I tend to go for simple, solid, reliable products. Keeping things simple, for me, usually creates a more enjoyable experience in all things in life.

I quite agree. I still dive with a full set of gauges, even though I won a GEO from my LDS. Why? I trust them. A dive computer is cool, but I have seen too many electronics fail (and lets face it, we're under water), to not have a solid backup.

Now, don't get me wrong. If I was in the market for a computer, and had the budget for this, I would so get it. But I'm not, and unless it drops quite a bit, I won't.

DirtyWaterIL
08-09-2007, 21:37
way overpriced even for a new gadget in my opinion. Oceanic AI wrist computer...$629.95 . Your average mask is around $60-$70. Combine the 2 along with the OH MY GOD ITS A NEW TOY effect and I say anything over a thousand bucks is overpriced. Although I'm assuming they have the high price there for the peopel who want them bad and the price will drop once they arent back ordered anymore.

ertechsg
08-09-2007, 21:47
New and coolest thing to have. If you got the spare change why not? With diving we always seem to be buying somthing so why not be the cool kid on the block.:smiley16:

turtle_guy
08-09-2007, 23:54
i tried it on once and thought it was really heavy on my face and seemed kinda small to

ScubaToys Larry
08-09-2007, 23:58
i tried it on once and thought it was really heavy on my face and seemed kinda small to

Did you try it in the water? It was not heavy at all as the volume of air seems a perfect balance with the weight, so it's not a problem in the water... at least that's what I found.

deepdiver47
08-10-2007, 04:47
[quote=DirtyWaterIL;21472]way overpriced even for a new gadget in my opinion. /quote]

yes it is. I consider this to be like the Iphone. Great idea and cool but way to pricey. I might look at the 3rd generation of this when it comes out in few years. There has to be bugs with this as it is the first of it's kind.

creggur
08-10-2007, 07:14
way overpriced even for a new gadget in my opinion. Oceanic AI wrist computer...$629.95 . Your average mask is around $60-$70. Combine the 2 along with the OH MY GOD ITS A NEW TOY effect and I say anything over a thousand bucks is overpriced. Although I'm assuming they have the high price there for the peopel who want them bad and the price will drop once they arent back ordered anymore.

I think it's a very cool concept, and I'll let the big $$ guys pay for the R&D and cool factor on this one...Just got a new computer, so not in the market anytime soon, but I'm not saying I'll never be..

the gooch
08-12-2007, 01:50
Wow, so many people scared of technology. I think it is a most awesome step in the right direction. Would I shell out 1500 bucks for it? Sure, if I had the money to blow, but I don't.

I commend Oceanic for pushing the bar and having the guts to bring something like this to market.

ScubaToys Larry
08-12-2007, 02:00
[quote=DirtyWaterIL;21472]way overpriced even for a new gadget in my opinion. /quote]

yes it is. I consider this to be like the Iphone. Great idea and cool but way to pricey. I might look at the 3rd generation of this when it comes out in few years. There has to be bugs with this as it is the first of it's kind.

Some valid points... But from a manufacturers standpoint... Did you see the lines of people waiting to get Iphones?? And as far as Bugs and first of it's kind, it has been used by the military now for several years. And you think recreational divers a picky about things being right!?

TommyB
08-12-2007, 07:14
Larry has me on the pre-order :)

ScubaToys Larry
08-12-2007, 07:25
The only difference with Tommy's is there is an extra switch I had installed that allows him to edit vBulletin software while diving in case the forum has any problems.

Hey! What are you still doing here - and up at this hour! I thought you were leaving for Orlando... or are you just telling folks that so they don't know where you are?

TommyB
08-12-2007, 07:34
Leave it t the wife to keep us on schedule..

Had to go visit the neighbors, that turned into a drinking fest, boo-hoo we'll miss you guys etc etc.. needless to say, at around 11:00pm I felt that my truck was in no condition to drive towards orlando.

I hate hung-over dodge trucks :)
Remind me to never let the truck drink that many scotches before a long trip..

(ps)
I can be anywhere in the world when on my laptop, it has a GSM card in it , so pretty much can connect to the net long as I can get a signal...
just need to figure out how to do it underwater :)....

creggur
08-12-2007, 07:48
ntburchf
Are you moving to Orlando?? If so welcome to the great state of Florida!!! Anytime you want to hit some springs let me know, I think some of the good ones are about equal distance drive from Olando and Jax....

TommyB
08-12-2007, 09:58
(sorry off topic :) ))

ntburchf
Are you moving to Orlando?? If so welcome to the great state of Florida!!! Anytime you want to hit some springs let me know, I think some of the good ones are about equal distance drive from Olando and Jax....

would love too!!!
Wife wants to hit the clear water of the springs.

We'll be in the hunters creek area for approx 4 months, then moving to
our new home. Over by lake hart / Lake Nona area, that is if we close on the house..