PDA

View Full Version : Considering Florida...

percussionist1
07-03-2008, 08:36
So, my wife and I are considering moving to Florida. Not for any particular reason, except maybe to get away and be "closer to scuba." Anyway, my questions are for those who live in or have lived in Florida...

-Where is be the best place to live if you are a diver (for access)?

Obviously, this would not be our only consideration, but it definitely one of them. Any suggestions you could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks!

No Misses
07-03-2008, 08:44
Anywhere along the coast is good. I have not dove the west coast. I know that it is a long boat ride to get to any depth over 30 fsw. On the East coast you will find that the water is warmer from Broward County (Fort Lauderdale) on south to the Keys. The Gulf Stream is very close to shore. Sometimes it is right on the beach. When you get north of Palm Beach County (Jupiter), the Gulf stream is further off shore and the winter diving temps can drop below 60 degrees F.

DougNR
07-03-2008, 08:47
So, my wife and I are considering moving to Florida. Not for any particular reason, except maybe to get away and be "closer to scuba." Anyway, my questions are for those who live in or have lived in Florida...

Well, I'd say Key Largo would be high on the list, but unless you're independently wealthy or in the service business, what you would do for work would be a factor there.

I appreciate the West Palm Beach area myself. I live about 30 miles north and dive using charter boats out of the Riviera Beach Marina. The proximity to the Gulfstream makes for some good diving and the area offers good job opportunites.

I think others could make good cases for west coast FL and panhandle areas as well, but I have no personal experience.

Best of luck!

Doug

SlvrDragon50
07-04-2008, 12:26
I would say anywhere near West Palm Beach or Pompano Beach. Those areas are filled with dive shops and the reefs are amazing. In my OW dive, not me but other people saw plenty of nurse sharks as well as sea turtles at the Pompano Nursery.

doczerothree
07-04-2008, 12:34
Consider "cave country". You'll be diving when then seas are "too rough,too cold, too whatever...Pompano lots of wrecks and reefs whatever your skill level. The keys.........always nice. Really no matter where you decided to land out here, the water is not that far. Good Luck!!:smiley20:

Truered1
07-04-2008, 20:45
My suggestion would be somewhere between Boca Raton and Pompano Beach - this way West Palm Beach and Ft. Lauderdale are still not too far away. I have dive almost once a week and there are plenty of wrecks and reefs to see. Wrecks there is always something different on them. Last week I saw an Eagle ray ~ Moray ~ Hawksbill ~ Logger Head ~ Nurse & Bull Sharks ~ Moray and spotted eels and who could ever count the fish and coral. On the reefs you can drop me at the same location many times and I will never see the same things since the currents change and take you in different directions. I am originally from New England and wouldn't trade this area for anything. Like mentioned about the west coast you have to travel tooooo far on a boat to get to a dive. Key Largo and Isla Morada are great but I can be there for a weekend in less than 2 hours. I prefer the mainland (so to speak) rather than the smaller islands, remember weather can get bad down there during a hurricane, can get bad up here too but the water isn't going to cover all the land at once...................at least I would hope not.

So that is my 2 cents, hope you make it here and if so let me know, always looking for another dive partner.

Devin27
07-21-2008, 13:01
If you just want to dive then living in the keys would obviously be the best place in the world, if you actually have to work for a living like the rest off us, id recommend looking around broward or palm beach county. I like in coral springs, its about 30 mins from ft Lauderdale beach and only a few hours from the keys and miami. Plus we have amazing diving right off shore at Deerfield beach

Hope this helps

Flfiremedic
07-21-2008, 13:37
Consider the Panhandle...Panama City Beach has great beach (Jetties) dives, and alot of wreck dives, lower cost of living, and decent job opportunities.

TommyB
07-21-2008, 13:51

Obviously, this would not be our only consideration, but it definitely one of them. Any suggestions you could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks!

ORLANDO !!,

2 1/2 hrs to great diving to the south eg Boynton Beach, Jupiter, etc.
2 1/2 hours to NFL (North Florida) CAVE Country

I've found myself spending more time in NFL then boat diving here of late.
1. Easier - don't have to mess around with boat people :)
2. Can dive at my own pace, length, time, etc.
3. Don't have some lame arsed DM telling me our dives are only 20 mins :)
4. Clear cool waters ie no swells --
5. and see the same cool peeps all the time --

NFL cave diving community is a pretty close-knit group of folks and enjoyable to be around.

http://www.cavediver.net/
(http://www.cavediver.net)

scubasamurai
07-22-2008, 21:39
for the non cave people, i would stick to the east coast. the west coast nothing really to see and takes along time to get to a good depth. if you have a choice and can afford i would go around somewhere close to key largo. plenty of dives sites for all ranges and love the wrecks. plus if you get board ft lauderdale air port has great and cheap connectiongs to the carribbean
i also never had the exp of someone telling me my dive times or only a 20 minute dive. dealing with a boat operator is sometimes annoying but the proxmity to the wreck sites is great and didn't have problem

if your in the caves and cavern's and fully cert stick to central flordia.

just remember homeowners insurance is a pain in the arse, but there are lot of cheap houses in foreclosure if you get some insurance.

let me know if you hit key largo i will show you the sites in exchange for a cheap room !! just kidding

Black-Gorrilla
07-23-2008, 00:56
Consider "cave country". You'll be diving when then seas are "too rough,too cold, too whatever...Pompano lots of wrecks and reefs whatever your skill level. The keys.........always nice. Really no matter where you decided to land out here, the water is not that far. Good Luck!!:smiley20:

but in cave land isnt the water always 72? and does the visibility not get very bad sometimes? i dont think that's for every diver...
the keys are really expensive!!! i wish i could buy a house there :)

Black-Gorrilla
07-23-2008, 00:59
if you look at homestead (like 35-40 mins from keylargo) it's decently priced right now, and it's a fast growing place...

Puffer Fish
07-23-2008, 05:12
I dive both a lot and while I like the panhandle, the area north and south of west palm is a great diving area. I find it cheaper to dive, and far better conditions year round.

Consider the Panhandle...Panama City Beach has great beach (Jetties) dives, and alot of wreck dives, lower cost of living, and decent job opportunities.

Puffer Fish
07-23-2008, 05:16

Thanks!

ORLANDO !!,

2 1/2 hrs to great diving to the south eg Boynton Beach, Jupiter, etc.
2 1/2 hours to NFL (North Florida) CAVE Country

I've found myself spending more time in NFL then boat diving here of late.
1. Easier - don't have to mess around with boat people :)
2. Can dive at my own pace, length, time, etc.
3. Don't have some lame arsed DM telling me our dives are only 20 mins :)
4. Clear cool waters ie no swells --
5. and see the same cool peeps all the time --

NFL cave diving community is a pretty close-knit group of folks and enjoyable to be around.

http://www.cavediver.net/
(http://www.cavediver.net)
Never had anyone tell me to keep a dive to 20 minutes.. you need to be going on better boats..actually we mostly use larger tanks, so Nitrox and deco times are the limit.

Monkeylemon
07-23-2008, 10:19
Keys. keys, keys. The marine opportunities are excellent and so is the bird and wildlife...I'd give a few teeth to live there! (And maybe one toe.)

TommyB
07-23-2008, 21:43
Never had anyone tell me to keep a dive to 20 minutes.. you need to be going on better boats..actually we mostly use larger tanks, so Nitrox and deco times are the limit.
This was one of the better boats-
6 of us told them before we booked it that this was a tech dive to 150' for 30 mins on trimix for a total run time of 63 mins.
They said OK..
we leave port, ass of a DM then commenced the speech about no deco diving etc etc etc.. Dive would be 20 mins.

Needless to say, I think that was my last trip to the ocean and that dive charter

trigfunctions
07-24-2008, 21:40
SE Florida is great for diving, but remember that the weather can be bad in the winter (5-10+ foot seas) and the water temps will drop into the 60's, so you may not be diving as many months of the year as you think. Also, there will be a HUGE culture shock going from Texas to Florida - I would spend a long time here before moving permanently.