PDA

View Full Version : Gas and Diving

Martin2
07-03-2008, 11:58
I need to whine for a moment if that's ok. We finished our AOW classes sometime in late April or early May and have been trying to get a full charter (at least 6 divers) to go finish the deep dives. I know it isn't the LDS's fault that gas is so high that they need at least 6 divers, but since MAY!! So our planned dive for tomorrow just got canceled and it just sucks. On top of this, we can't have or AOW cards even though we have enough dives and 4 specialties (not including deep which we obviously haven't finished) because the shop had SSI print deep on the cards.

rumblefish
07-03-2008, 13:32
Well, if you had to go diving, you cold always show the dive outfit temp AOW cards. But I sympathize with you, the situation stinks.

DUnder
07-03-2008, 14:03
I would hope that the LDS after a few cancelations would own up and take you out on a not completely full charter to finish up your cert. After all you have paid your money to recieve your training and training dives for your AOW cert. I think you need to be firm with your LDS to complete your training.

Martin2
07-03-2008, 14:23
Well, if you had to go diving, you cold always show the dive outfit temp AOW cards. But I sympathize with you, the situation stinks.

We don't have them. I'm working on that today.

No Misses
07-03-2008, 14:26
Do you know anybody with a boat? Maybe you could get your instructor to go diving with you on a private boat and sign off on the dives.

Martin2
07-03-2008, 14:26
I would hope that the LDS after a few cancelations would own up and take you out on a not completely full charter to finish up your cert. After all you have paid your money to recieve your training and training dives for your AOW cert. I think you need to be firm with your LDS to complete your training.

While I agree, that doesn't seem to be the case. It would be easier to be firm with them if they weren't so nice, really. Since we have enough dives and 4 specialties (not including the deep we haven't finished), I'd be fine with them giving us the AOW with the specialties we've completed and getting to the dives whenever. I don't really want them to have to take a loss on the charter. But I need the AOW to do some other local diving.

Suggestions on how to nicely be firm? Not usually an area I have a problem with, but I see that they really are trying and it makes it hard for me to fuss at them.

Martin2
07-03-2008, 14:27
Do you know anybody with a boat? Maybe you could get your instructor to go diving with you on a private boat and sign off on the dives.

Sadly, no. Anyone in the Charleston area with a boat that would help us out? We'll help and pay our way.

BuzzF117
07-03-2008, 14:34
Don't be upset with the boat owner he knows what he needs to keep his profit margin were it needs to be you could always split the amount needed to cover the extra divers I know it's more expensive but you would get your dives in.

Martin2
07-03-2008, 14:36
Don't be upset with the boat owner he knows what he needs to keep his profit margin were it needs to be you could always split the amount needed to cover the extra divers I know it's more expensive but you would get your dives in.

Deep dives here often run $150 and up. Much as I'd love to absorb the cost, it gets a little steep. I'm really not upset with the LDS. Disappointed, but not upset.

Martin2
07-03-2008, 14:37
On the upside--the LDS did push me to my 250th post! Since I can't dive tomorrow, perhaps I'll shop!

BuzzF117
07-03-2008, 15:51
On the upside--the LDS did push me to my 250th post! Since I can't dive tomorrow, perhaps I'll shop!

Who do you use out of Charleston, Charleston Scuba? Isn't there another dive shop up in Myrtle Beach maybe your instructor can just find another Dive boat op to go with even if they are the competition he is still doing whatever it takes to keep his student/customer happy.

Martin2
07-03-2008, 15:58
No, Charleston Scuba is PADI and we preferred not to switch from SSI. So we're using Nu Horizons in Myrtle Beach. Since my OP though, they've called and worked it out to allow the other 4 specialties to count for my AOW. I hope we'll get to go out with them at some point, but right now I'm just grateful to have the AOW taken care of. Still no diving this weekend though :smiley19:

digitalman
07-05-2008, 22:44

Why can't you dive? Did you not get an OW card? I understand you are waiting on your AOW card...but that shouldn't keep you out of the water. It might keep you from getting additional certifications, but not from diving.

digitalman
07-05-2008, 22:47
No, Charleston Scuba is PADI and we preferred not to switch from SSI. So we're using Nu Horizons in Myrtle Beach. Since my OP though, they've called and worked it out to allow the other 4 specialties to count for my AOW. I hope we'll get to go out with them at some point, but right now I'm just grateful to have the AOW taken care of. Still no diving this weekend though :smiley19:

I stopped by Nu Horizons last year on vacation. Nice shop. The owner was nice enough to give me an hour of his time, even though he knew I wasn't buying anything. Answered a lot of questions I had, mainly about SSI.

diver 85
07-09-2008, 15:22
Wait, you said you finished your AOW but need the deep dive???......Isn't that one of the required dives for AOW???.It was in '86 when I took mine, has things changed???........btw, in '86 it was 4 dives--> a deep dive, a search and recover dive, a nite dive, and a further compass dive ie triangle navigation vs straight out and back in for OW training(IF I remember correctly).......

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
07-09-2008, 16:07
SSI AOWD is different from PADI AOW. SSI requires 24 logged dives and 4 specialty courses. Most (all?) of the SSI specialties only require 2 checkout dives.

PADI has no experience requirement for AOW and does not require the completion of any specialties. It requires one "adventure dive" from each of 5 specialties. The PADI deep specialty cert requires 4 dives. So does wreck. Some others require 2 dives.

P.S. The diving down there must really suck if they cannot fill a six-pack. My problem is not being able to find weekend charter openings.

diver 85
07-09-2008, 16:58
SSI AOWD is different from PADI AOW. SSI requires 24 logged dives and 4 specialty courses. Most (all?) of the SSI specialties only require 2 checkout dives.

PADI has no experience requirement for AOW and does not require the completion of any specialties. It requires one "adventure dive" from each of 5 specialties. The PADI deep specialty cert requires 4 dives. So does wreck. Some others require 2 dives.

P.S. The diving down there must really suck if they cannot fill a six-pack. My problem is not being able to find weekend charter openings.

Thanks for the info, I forgot there were other agencies besides PADI(lol).....I was thinking the same thing about not being able to fill 5 more slots in the middle of summer.......

diver 85
07-09-2008, 17:00

Don't spend it all in one place, but I understand what you mean........