PDA

View Full Version : Maui Scuba Shack?

ScubaNoob
07-03-2008, 23:47
Going to Maui and my LDS recommended The Scuba Shack in Maui. Anyone have any yeah's or nay's for them?

Zenagirl
07-04-2008, 06:37
They have a "no pee in your wetsuit" rule, which rubs a lot of us the wrong way. There was a huge thing in Undercurrent magazine about it, including a rant by the owner about pee being disgusting and ripping apart any diver who pees in their wetsuit and telling them to stay away from his operation.

We've been diving Maui for almost 5 years and have never heard anything really positive about them either on or off island. We've never had first hand experience, instead choosing Ed Robinson's out of Kihei and Lahaina Divers (for Lanai) out of Lahaina.

If you're looking for good ops out of Kihei, check out B&B, Ed Robinson's, and Mike Severns. You absolutely can't go wrong with any of them.

diver-wife
07-04-2008, 17:58
They have a "no pee in your wetsuit" rule, which rubs a lot of us the wrong way. There was a huge thing in Undercurrent magazine about it, including a rant by the owner about pee being disgusting and ripping apart any diver who pees in their wetsuit and telling them to stay away from his operation.

We've been diving Maui for almost 5 years and have never heard anything really positive about them either on or off island. We've never had first hand experience, instead choosing Ed Robinson's out of Kihei and Lahaina Divers (for Lanai) out of Lahaina.

If you're looking for good ops out of Kihei, check out B&B, Ed Robinson's, and Mike Severns. You absolutely can't go wrong with any of them.
ed robinson's was excellent, I was in Maui Dive Shop and bought a t-shirt, but do not know anything about them

Travelnsj
07-05-2008, 11:41
I have dove with Mike Severns found them to be excellent. Also dove with Lahaina Divers a bit more of a cattle boat operation but were good.

DEF
07-05-2008, 11:57
The wife and I did our OW dives with B&B. Great folks. There really are no bad dive shops on Maui. The bad ones quickly go out of business due to competition.

The Crowing
07-21-2008, 12:13
A friend of mine turned me away from scuba shack and told me to try Prodiver Maui. I went out with Prodiver twice in 2005 and 2006 and loved the experience. Small boats with never more than 6-8 divers. Very friendly staff.

FailedExistence
07-21-2008, 12:35
My wife and I went into Scuba Shack ... the employees were too busy talking to eachother to talk to us so we left. Talked to a couple other shops and divers and no one had anything good to say about them.

I second B&B as a great operation. We went out to Molokini with them and had a great time. We also went out with Pacific Dive (Extended Horizons) from Lahaina to go to Lanai and I would highly recommend them.

ScubaNoob
07-27-2008, 20:13
Thank you all for your input. I ended up going with B&B and had a great time. I also rented gear from them for a shore dive. Great people with great service.

FailedExistence
07-28-2008, 10:57
Thank you all for your input. I ended up going with B&B and had a great time. I also rented gear from them for a shore dive. Great people with great service.

Certainly can't go wrong with them! I would recommend them to anyone heading out to Maui. We did a dive with both Brad and Blesi and couldn't have been happier with their abilities to point out things we never would have found by ourselves.

Did you make it to Lanai or just to Molokini?

ScubaNoob
07-28-2008, 13:39
Just Molokini. Blesi was running the shop the day I went. But her chocolate chip cookies were on board with us! My dives were with Stan. He convinced me to let a cleaner shrimp go in my mouth. Made him do it first just to make sure it wasn't a trick.

FailedExistence
07-28-2008, 18:04
Just Molokini. Blesi was running the shop the day I went. But her chocolate chip cookies were on board with us! My dives were with Stan. He convinced me to let a cleaner shrimp go in my mouth. Made him do it first just to make sure it wasn't a trick.

Chocolate chip cookies and sandwiches ... not the best part of the trip, but definitely the best part of getting back on the boat!

PhD4JC
08-10-2008, 08:42
How do they determine if you've peed in your suit?
Sniff test?
High tech urea analyzer?

Zenagirl
08-10-2008, 09:00
LOL, they claim they can smell it if people pee in their suits. The owner went as far as to say that pee-ers aren't welcome on his boat and they should go elsewhere. I go elsewhere even though I can't pee in my suit (need a "peeing diver" specialty! <LOL>).

brandon
08-10-2008, 15:56
B&B is a great operation, I love diving with them. Brad, Blessi, Bill, Stan and Dave are all fun to dive with and will make sure you have a good time.

Everytime someone mentions boat diving on Maui, I feel compelled to point out that B&B is almost always the first boat out of the boat ramp and the first boat back (usually by 10:30am). If you have family and friends that you want to spend the rest of the day with, you'll be back in time for lunch!

My wife is a non-diver, so I almost always choose B&B over Mike Severns, Ed Robinson or others. Not because those aren't excellent operators, I just like being back a couple hours earlier!

B&B does have a tendency to be the "newbie boat", but they'll work with experienced divers to make sure they're still getting in good dives.

-B

Coaster
08-10-2008, 16:55
LOL, they claim they can smell it if people pee in their suits. The owner went as far as to say that pee-ers aren't welcome on his boat and they should go elsewhere. I go elsewhere even though I can't pee in my suit (need a "peeing diver" specialty! <LOL>).

Just too funny!:smiley32: