PDA

View Full Version : Martha's Quarry

merganser
07-04-2008, 08:17
I have never dived Martha's Quarry. Is it worth a 3 hour drive when Pennyroyal Quarry is 45 minutes away?

maggs_the
07-04-2008, 13:00
I have never dived Martha's Quarry. Is it worth a 3 hour drive when Pennyroyal Quarry is 45 minutes away?

i would have to say no. i've been to Martha's and there is nothing wrong with Martha's, but if you've got a quarry within 45 minutes of you... i would just say it's not worth the extra drive.

Martha's was a working quarry when it flooded so there is still te rock crusher building among others and a conveyor belt with big rocks still on it. but there are MINIMAL facilities at the quarry. no top side buildings with a dive shop (it's a trailer converted to a dive shop) or bathrooms (they do have porta-potties) or showers or food stands. They do have a nice size pavillion to sit under but i'll tell you that right now, my LDS cannot go to their normal lake for checkout dives so they're going to Martha's.... meaning, it may be a bit crowded for a while till Greer's Ferry in Arkansas drops a bit.

i somewhat hate turning business away from the guy who runs Martha's because he is a really nice guy, but my honest opinion is that no, there is nothing so special about Martha's that would warrant a 3 hour trip if you've got one within 45 minutes of you.