PDA

View Full Version : Weight-loss tips

rumblefish
07-04-2008, 14:20
Weight-loss tips

Easy (and Sexy) Ways to Lose 50 Pounds a Year (http://www.dumblittleman.com/2007/08/easy-and-sexy-ways-to-lose-50-pounds.html)

Sasha_K
07-04-2008, 15:24
Not a bad article at all. The problem is that people want faster than 1 lb / week results as they generally remember they look fat in May for that summer trip in June. :-)

mselizann
07-04-2008, 16:11
I don't know how much I like that article. There are some good, common sense tips, but some poor tips also...

matt151617
07-05-2008, 01:50
Have sex daily.

Best part of that article! :smiley20: If only we were all so lucky.

jimmysdevoted
07-05-2008, 11:56
doesnt having sex lead to icecream, coffee afterwards?

Joe L
07-08-2008, 10:03
doesnt having sex lead to icecream, coffee afterwards?

I am trying to loose a few pounds, or I should say get into shape. There are so many articles out there but, Bottom line for me, Stop eating all the junk, keep active. I really don't see results like I would like to, Although I just need to drop around 20 lbs but, Starting to feel better....

USF_Diver
07-08-2008, 10:58
Good article, weight loss isn't something that will happen overnight but if you stick with it you will loose weight.

gthomas
07-08-2008, 11:07
We all know what to do, its just doing it.

obrules15
07-08-2008, 11:52
I don't know how much I like that article. There are some good, common sense tips, but some poor tips also...

I thought everything suggested was good, just not as feasible, what did you think was poor?

mselizann
07-08-2008, 14:03
Maybe that's it- just not feasible. I mean, I know air popped popcorn is better, but no one will let you bring your own popcorn to the movies. Peanuts for pretzels- I like the idea of almonds or something better. Everything else IS common sense- but what if you do these things already?

diver 85
07-08-2008, 14:48
Only read the post(no link) but if one continues to lose 50#s a year, it won't take too many years to----well, let's just say that individual will be diving the BIG ocean in the sky......

obrules15
07-09-2008, 19:46
Maybe that's it- just not feasible. I mean, I know air popped popcorn is better, but no one will let you bring your own popcorn to the movies. Peanuts for pretzels- I like the idea of almonds or something better. Everything else IS common sense- but what if you do these things already?

Then you are screwed :smiley20:

mselizann
07-09-2008, 19:47
huh- I was afraid of that
now if there were just a "practical" substitution for martinis and red wine.........

JTMoney
07-09-2008, 20:01
People still buy popcorn at the movies? I don't think I could afford to do tickets and popcorn/drinks. Drop $50 doing that.

Eddym67
07-09-2008, 20:32
Join a Gym. Jog. Skip a meal.Ride a Bike........

JTMoney
07-09-2008, 20:49
Join a Gym. Jog. Skip a meal.Ride a Bike........

I don't think I would skip a meal, just change what you're eating.

jimmysdevoted
07-09-2008, 21:45
when i was little back in teh 60s they thought a kid wgho was well rounded was fat.. soI began with diet pills... it progressed to the grapefruit diet, other diet pills,, ayds,figuriens, weight watchers and so on.

I can attest to the following:
dieting by portion for thsoe who are chreonically obese, who ahve been dieting for ages is not that easy. Most diets think that you fat because you eat too much.. in a majority fo cases this may be true, and if your an under eater soimne diets create a problem. For me I am an under eater normally eating about 900 calories day. By all rights I shoudl be thin, i eat mostly veggies and afew grams of carb and a few grams of protein... Dietitans cant figure out, nutritrionists cant figure it out, all tehe xercise in teh world doesnt work...

when I was 13 I went on weight wtachers,, it worked. Then i became an over eater,.. always thinking abotu food.. it was awful.

I went on Slinfast after mydaughter was born, it was my only source of food forsix weeks and dropped 50 pounds in a month and landed in teh hospital with dehydration and almost kidney failure. I was drinking plenty of fluids..

When I was in diabetic ketoacidosis I dropped 112 pounds. slept for threemonths in a functioning semi coma... it was easy and i did look pretty good if you consider being semi bald.....

I am now struggling with 50 pounds... I loose 35 and then put it back on, no matter how strict i stay to my diet...

I have an TSH of 9-11.. its supposed to be 1-0 but the drug I take for it screws with my blood pressure and keeps me ina a constant period...

while the ideas in that article might work for junk food eaters, it does not cover everyone..

so eat what you wnat in moderation, feel comfortable and let the rest go..
julie

JTMoney
07-09-2008, 23:16
I know that there are some people who just have genetics that predispose them to being out of shape.

But, eating 900 calories a day is very unhealthy and sends your body into survival mode. It will store all of the fat it possibly can and your metabolism will slow down, something else that will contribute to weight gain.

You also went against what Slimfast instructs you to do. You're supposed to replace one meal with a can of slimfast, not your entire diet. It's understandable that you would get dehydrated eating like that.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your current diet? More specific than mostly veggies with a few carbs and a few protein. If you've been to a dietician I can't imagine that they would recommend eating less than 1,000 calories a day.

Swanny
07-10-2008, 08:12
I've dropped 45 lbs since the first of the year by drastically reducing my carb intake. I cut out snacks like pretzels and replaced them with vegetables. When I do eat bread, it is always multigrain.

The other thing I did was to switch from beer over to Jack Daniels and Diet Coke. If I do have a few beers, they are always Bud Select (3.1 carbs) or Michelob Ultra (2.6 carbs).

Foo2
07-10-2008, 14:13
I have lost 20lbs since Jan. 1 doing a plan called 3,4,5. It's 300 calories for breakfast, 400 calories for lunch, 500 calories for dinner, and two 150 calorie snacks. Of course you have to pick good food with calories. It's important to balance your meals as well. Also, I run 3 times a week for 25 mins with changing workouts. Following that diet plan helped me realize how large my portions were before. I was eating for 2-3 people a day! Portions were a big part of my problem. Every now and then I still splurge, but my stomach is all messed up when I do. So I try to keep from over doing it.

Swanny
07-10-2008, 14:21
I have lost 20lbs since Jan. 1 doing a plan called 3,4,5. It's 300 calories for breakfast, 400 calories for lunch, 500 calories for dinner, and two 150 calorie snacks. Of course you have to pick good food with calories. It's important to balance your meals as well. Also, I run 3 times a week for 25 mins with changing workouts. Following that diet plan helped me realize how large my portions were before. I was eating for 2-3 people a day! Portions were a big part of my problem. Every now and then I still splurge, but my stomach is all messed up when I do. So I try to keep from over doing it.

Portion control is definitely one of the key concepts in losing weight. I have a friend that is a dietitian and her advice is to use your closed fist as a measuring tool. For example, if you are going to eat a baked potato, choose one the size of your fist. Same for steak, chicken, etc.