PDA

View Full Version : Standard length of a low pressure inflator hose

snoballz
07-04-2008, 17:42
I decided to get a regulator/octo before a BCD for many reasons. With that, I'll need a low pressure inflator hose to hook up to a (rental or borrowed) BC for inflation. Is there a standard size? I'm interested in the Miflex and noticed that there are several sizes from 22" through 36" at ST.

TIA

:smiley16:

Vercingetorix
07-04-2008, 18:04
Just call ST. I bought my inflator hose from them when I bought my reg, without a BC. I believe the standard is 26.

awap
07-04-2008, 18:31
22" is probably too short for an octo/inflator unless you are very small A 26" should work OK without unduly restricting head movement and may even be a tad long. Of course you will have to watch the length of the corrugated hose also. That will vary depending on the BCD.

navyhmc
07-04-2008, 18:52
It's better to go a little longthan a little short. Mine measures 24" and is a standard length I think-in fact, the hose on both my regs is 24". Since you are going to go with a regulator first, it might be wise to go with either a 24" or 26". There is also the option of getting two, one 24" and one 26" and keep the one not on your reg in your save-a-dive kit. Keep a correct size wrench on hand too.

DallasMarineBio
07-04-2008, 22:31
I like to keep mine as streamlined as possible, I use a 22" for my backup 2nd stage on a single tank setup without problems, the way my regs route I use a bit longer- 24" on a double tank setup..though is is using a 7' primary for both. I use 15" inflator and 24" HP on both setups...though I may try a 22" HP for doubles here in the near future...

Splitlip
07-04-2008, 23:02
Whoa cowboy. When you rent BC, are you planning on removing the standard inflator and installing your octo inflator? The LP coupling is different too.
Don't think you are thinking this though unless you are talking the inline octos like the Genesis. In that case, use what comes with.

Otherwise, as to length, it depends on what works for you and the length of the corrugated hose on the BC, which also needs to work for you.
I have an SS1 which I sometimes use on my BC. When I do, I also change out the corrugated hose and have a situation specific LP hose I ordered.
You are a new diver. Don't complicate things. Since you are renting, get a 1st and 2nd you are comfortable with as well as a standard octo.

snoballz
07-05-2008, 03:52
Whoa cowboy. When you rent BC, are you planning on removing the standard inflator and installing your octo inflator? The LP coupling is different too.
Don't think you are thinking this though unless you are talking the inline octos like the Genesis. In that case, use what comes with.

First, there are no cowboys in NYC. :smiley17:

Second, I'm confused... not sure what you mean by removing the standard inflator and installing an octo inflator.

I'll probably rent and try different BC's for awhile. I was hoping (to keep things simple) that the corrugated hose on the BC are of a standard length so that I can get a LP inflator hose of a standard length. Lastly, I thought the couplings are pretty much standard with all BC's.

Thanks.

oddbod
07-05-2008, 04:47

Otherwise, as to length, it depends on what works for you and the length of the corrugated hose on the BC, which also needs to work for you.
I have an SS1 which I sometimes use on my BC. When I do, I also change out the corrugated hose and have a situation specific LP hose I ordered.
You are a new diver. Don't complicate things. Since you are renting, get a 1st and 2nd you are comfortable with as well as a standard octo.
snoballz only state regulator/octo in original post someone embellished later.
I would look into what BC/BPW you might like and get a length close to that if possible as an inch or two either way on a hire BC you won't notice too much, the inflator may twist up or down but is still usable, and you won't be wasting a hose later.

rumblefish
07-05-2008, 05:19
I think there's some confusion as to what Snoballz is getting. I think he is getting a standard octopus and not an octo/inflator. I believe his 1st stage has the primary and secondary connections and he's just looking for a LPI hose to complete the rig. LPI hoses come in different lenghts, but I guess a LPI hose around 12"-14" would be sufficient. I don't have my gear here so I can't measure my LPI hose right now.

First, there are no cowboys in NYC. :smiley17:

Well, we do have that naked dude in Times Square... :p

navyhmc
07-05-2008, 05:52
Well, we do have that naked dude in Times Square... :p

That is way too much information...:D :smilie39:

And thank you for a very disturbing mental image. :smilie39:

Splitlip
07-05-2008, 07:25
Thanks for clearing it up everybody.
Sorry for the confusion snoballz.

Navy:no need for a mental image now :)

http://www.littleviews.com/LV_art/naked_cowboy_01.jpg

awap
07-05-2008, 08:24
I thought you were talking an octo/inflator combination but the answer does not change much. Hose lengths may vary a bit from one mfgr to another but a 26" LPI hose is fairly standard and should work OK with rental BC. One problem is std BCs almost always have a fairly long corrugated hose that leave the inflator dangling more than necessary. Once you get your own gear (BCD) you may well find that you will want a shorter corrugated hose than std which will work fine and be more streamlined with a 22" LPI hose. That puts the inflator higher on your chest where you probably will have to turn your head a bit to orally inflate it.

BTW, Scubatoys customized these hose lengths for me when I ordered another BCD from them last month.

For now, you will probably want a 26" LPI hose. If you decide to change when you get your own BCD, it will still work as a backup.

navyhmc
07-05-2008, 09:02
Thanks for clearing it up everybody.
Sorry for the confusion snoballz.

Navy:no need for a mental image now :)

Censored!!!!!!

Splitlip...you are truely an evil person...please send me another gallon of eye bleach...:smilie39:

snoballz
07-09-2008, 22:17
LOL@ the Time Square Cowboy! I for got about him... wonder why. :smiley17:

In any event, yeah, I have a Atomic ST1 reg with T2 Octo, not a combo inflator/second such as the Atomic SS1.

With that said, I borrowed a friends Zeagle Ranger. He has the Atomic SS1 with OEM length corrugated hose and low pressure hose, which measures 29". I am now thinking of getting the SS1 and return the T2 octo (it's brand new from my LDS and I did not dive it).

So, if I was to buy a Zeagle Ranger (it's on my short list and may eventually purchase it at ST), I would assume I should get a 29" Miflex hose with the standard length of their corrugated hose.

However, is the consensus around here to shorten the length of the corrugated hose about 3", hence certain recommendations of 26" for the low pressure hose?

Thanks again!!!

CompuDude
07-10-2008, 14:44
Most corrugated hoses are far longer than they need to be. You might need the length if you are using a SS1, however. (I'm not a fan of integrated octos in general, though)

snoballz
07-10-2008, 19:08
Most corrugated hoses are far longer than they need to be. You might need the length if you are using a SS1, however. (I'm not a fan of integrated octos in general, though)

Thanks. I read all 11 pages of the great debate. I'm still on the fence but won't debate it here. Anyway, the length (26" vs. 29") of the LP hose will be determined by whether I get the integrated inflator/octo or not.

Thanks.

harb99
07-10-2008, 20:10

is it hard to shorten them and go with a bit shorter inflator hose?

Splitlip
07-10-2008, 21:17
You don't cut them. Different sizes are available.

The basic lengths I am familiar with are 12", 16" and 19" . 12 is fine for me. I used the 16 " when I installed a dive alert. 19" for an integrated octo.
But that is me.
I've seen longer hoses.
Changing a corrugated hose is very simple. 2 to 5 minute job.

Now some BCD's have propriatary hoses. Oceanic and USD come to mind. Can't speak for them.