PDA

View Full Version : local lds goes downhill

jimmysdevoted
07-05-2008, 12:29
we visited a new shop on our way to work and at first it felt weird, like cheating on you fav... but this will probably be our fav from now on for lots of small things . the local ds lost my hubbys tank....the boy working there didn't do as the owner had told him to and after a week his tank still wasn't ready.. so it took 45 minutes for them to discover it wasn't tagged and boxes were piled in front of it.....so another week without
j

ps rheas in Alcoa is the new and adventure dive is the one that messed up

tonka97
07-05-2008, 12:34
we visited a new shop on our way to work and at first it felt wierd, like cheating on you fav... but this will probably be our fav from now on for lots of small things . the local ds lost my hubbys tank....the boy working there didnt do as the owner had told him to and after a week his tank still wasnt ready.. so it took 45 minutes for them to discover it wasnt tagged and boxes were piled infront of it.....so anothet week without
j

Good choice. Reward competence with your business.

There is no excuse for neglecting your tank.

Honestly, I just haven't had many good experiences with LDSs in general....delayed special orders, overpriced, incomplete custom dry suit requiring many more weeks for completion.

plot
07-05-2008, 19:05
Luckily my buddy is an employee of the LDS so I havn't had many problems, but their high prices and unwillingless to compete have driven me to online sales and to looking for alternatives for training. If they can chase of a good friend of the shop... I'd hate to think about all the other business they're losing.

Anyways, vote with your dollar. You'll be heard the most that way.

digitalman
07-05-2008, 22:24
You can't buy air online. I don't use my LDS for anything but air, so I'm counting on others to fill in my gaps. If he goes under, I'll need to get a compressor or drive 40 miles to get my tanks filled.

oddbod
07-05-2008, 23:25
You can't buy air online. I don't use my LDS for anything but air, so I'm counting on others to fill in my gaps. If he goes under, I'll need to get a compressor or drive 40 miles to get my tanks filled.
The problem is they don't make much money out of just airfills, so unless they can get by on charters, courses and repairs then if they don't sell stuff they won't be there for the airfills!:smiley19:

plot
07-05-2008, 23:57
From what i've ever heard/read on the internet, air fills end up being a wash. There is no profit in them, just gets the people in the door to sell them other stuff.

jimmysdevoted
07-06-2008, 00:19
There is adventure which is 35 miles away and Rheas which is 41
Thereis another ski scuba which is 29 but they are SSI and are hard toi do business with as I have been told. We were in there once.
Hubbyand I are thinking about opening one here because there
are so many local divers......

how close are you nearest dive centers.. i would think they would be far away.
j

jimmysdevoted
07-09-2008, 22:00
We went back to the LDS and the owner was there, she was a bit upset that no one had offered us a tank to use, especially when she knew that was one reason why we wanted to go on the fourth to the quarry.. to dive and have fun. She was a tad bit upset that the tank was not tagged and that the people that were working in the shop the day we came back in were not so.. user friendly.. so she made it right.. she is a great lady.. she also explained that this was not their first incident,, a set of regulators and hoses that needed work we re also lost for a few days and it all turned out to be the same young man that had taken in both pieces! so she explained there was an issue already.. she made good on the tank and we are on way back there on Friday to pick up some books!
Can a LDS redeem itself.. yes by george they can!

julie

plot
07-10-2008, 19:48
man that's tough to read...

jimmysdevoted
07-11-2008, 10:33
I let everyone know I have a busted thumb and am dyslexic anyway dive shops can make it right was what the gist of the post

Vegas
07-11-2008, 17:12

Well said.....
I am very lucky to live in a town with many dive shops....and it's a fact that competition is good for business.

at a couple of the local shops, at least half the staff will call me by my first name when I walk in the door....

but my FAVORITE shop?...not only does everyone there know my name....they even know my voice on the phone. (and I'm Actually IN the shop, myself, maybe only once every couple of months. -that's it. ) They really bend over backwards to help me with just about anything and everything. They are knowledgeable, curteous, and attentive.
:smiley32:
In 5 years I will not remember if I spent an extra $20 on a piece of equipment...but I will remember the great service I got, and what I've gained doing business with them.

I feel very lucky to have an LDS I can love! :smiley9:

Splitlip
07-11-2008, 17:25

Well said.....
I am very lucky to live in a town with many dive shops....and it's a fact that competition is good for business.

at a couple of the local shops, at least half the staff will call me by my first name when I walk in the door....

but my FAVORITE shop?...not only does everyone there know my name....they even know my voice on the phone. (and I'm Actually IN the shop, myself, maybe only once every couple of months. -that's it. ) They really bend over backwards to help me with just about anything and everything. They are knowledgeable, curteous, and attentive.
In 5 years I will not remember if I spent an extra $20 on a piece of equipment...but I will remember the great service I got, and what I've gained doing business with them.

I feel very lucky to have an LDS I can love! :smiley9:
Me too.
The shops I deal with will tweek my regs and top off my tanks for nothing. Offer me coffee.
One of them found out I needed an octo holder for my daughter and did not have time to get out and buy one. They sent one to my office (along with a Dive Trainer mag). It was just a $.99 snorkel keeper, but the thought was there.

jimmysdevoted
07-11-2008, 18:18
I cant comprehend service like that even being anywhere near here.. I'd love to make our shop that user friendly though

Splitlip
07-11-2008, 18:41
Jupiter Dive Center.
Jupiter Dive Center, Scuba diving lessons at a PADI 5 Star facility, daily scuba diving trips in Jupiter, Florida. (http://jupiterdivecenter.com/)