PDA

View Full Version : New LDS

DarinMartell
07-06-2008, 00:19
I am very lucky that I have a bunch of shops within an hour of home (some better then others). The closest (2 miles) is my least favorite mostly due to its hous (4-8pm) but also they just don't seem very friendly when I come in and fills are $8.

A new place opened last month just a little further away (3 miles), they are open all day, they are VERY friendly when I come in (even engage my kids in conversations as I look around), and they have $5 fills.

My problem is I have not had very good luck with them. I have gone in twice looking for something specific (aqua seal one time, trim weight pockets another) and both times they could not help me. I came in again to get a new spool for my SPG installed to fix a slight leak. He was gone 5 mins, said he did not have the right spool but he cleaned it and replaced the o-rings. It didn't leak so I was ok with it but I thought $15 was a little spendy for 5 mins of work and 2 o-rings. The last time I went in I needed fills. Told him one was at 700 and the other was at 2000 and I needed them topped off. I was surprised that he charged me full price on the one that had 2000 in it but at $5 I wasn't about to complain. When I got to the lake I found that they where both only filled to 2800. This really bothered me, not only did I have only 2800 (I'm new and need all the air I can get), I had to pay for a full fill for 800psi!

Here is my dilema, They have the best hours in the area, and even if they are short filling the air it is the least expensive too. Do I risk alienating him and loosing acess to this LDS by dropping him a note outlinging my dippapoitments. Or do I do it in hope that he would appreciate constructive criticism in order to help his customer service since he is a new store in a very competitive area?

jimmysdevoted
07-06-2008, 00:34
If it were me, i would go back in and politely say I think theer was an error in filling my tank.. i showed what ever iut was and I was wondering if your guages are reading off?

or you can take your tank gauage and double check there to see how much was filled..
we had that as well.. their gauages were showing 3000 and when hubby go the tank home it showed 2600. we called and they said bring it back in.
their guage was out of calibration not his.

If we everget his tank back he double checks to make sure of pressure amounts before laving the shop. just a thought.....

being nice about discrepoencies is always good..
that is one thing that worries me about us doing that.. will the gauages be the same?

we want to open a dive shop that everyone will want to come and visit....

mitsuguy
07-06-2008, 02:22
one of my LDS's always shows me tank air pressure prior to leaving the shop... it's just standard procedure, and honestly, I've got sooo many tanks filled through them that I don't even care anymore, but he insists, and honestly, it's good practice... keeps everyone honest...

$15 for 5 minutes worth of work doesn't sound all that bad to me... you are paying for experience, not time necessarily - the way I look at it is if it was something you could do, it wouldn't be worth $15, but if you have to have someone else do it for you, even taking the time to touch it is worth $15...

as far as the tank fills, very very few shops charge any less for "top offs" than they do complete tank fills... suck that tank down next time, don't be ashamed... leave 250-300 psi in her, get your moneys worth... were you waiting on the tank fills? being a newer shop, if they filled them while you waited and didn't give them a chance to cool down, then thats why they were only 2800 by the time you got to use them... when I fill tanks in the pool for our classes, (keep in mind these are little 50's), I fill them to 3300, let them sit for 30 seconds and they usually drop down to 2800 or so, then I top them off... if they weren't for pool class and I actually cared about actual final pressure, I would leave them set until they dropped down in temp and top them off yet again...

navyhmc
07-06-2008, 05:41
So true about top offs. I get charged for a full fill even if the tank is a 19 cu ft or 13 cu ft pony.

Vercingetorix
07-06-2008, 08:15
we want to open a dive shop that everyone will want to come and visit....To paraphrase an old joke:

How do you make a small fortune as a local dive shop?
Start with a large fortune

You may wish to talk to Larry about this before investing.

ReefHound
07-06-2008, 08:41
I'm anything but an LDS apologist but I think you're being too harsh on this new shop. As long as their heart is in the right place, they are being friendly and trying to take care of you, I'd give them some slack.

It takes a lot of capital to start a business and a new store isn't likely to be as stocked out with inventory and parts as an established store. Maybe they are trying to do it on the cheap or maybe they are just prioritizing limited capital. Give it time and see if this improves.

The charge to repair the SPG is fair if the repair holds. How long it took is not your concern. They serviced you promptly. They could have had you leave it overnight and then you wouldn't known it took 15 minutes.

Some shops charge by volume for gas fills but usually places that provide tech mixes. Most places charge by the fill regardless of amount. It's basically the same work to fill an empty tank as to top off a 2000 psi tank. Filling too fast or miscalibrated gauges could explain the short fills.

Being they are recently opened I would assume they are still learning the ropes and would welcome constructive comments. Let them know how you feel in a friendly manner.

mm2002
07-06-2008, 08:50
I probably wouldn't say anything about the short fills, unless it keeps happening. My objective, if I really liked the folks, would be to frequent the shop and get to know them. Buy some gear from them, even little stuff. Before you know it, they'll be throwing in a free fill here and there, and going the extra mile to take care of you. Also, when I say "frequent" the shop, there's a fine line between getting known there, and being the obnoxious one they dread seeing walk through the door. :smiley2:

Splitlip
07-06-2008, 09:20
Mitsu, Navy,V, Hound and MM have said all I could have contributed to this thread.

plot
07-06-2008, 09:38
Keep in mind that when the tank cools off, you lose 200lbs or so. So if it was 3000lbs when they filled it, it's almost garunteed that by the time you jump in the water it'll be at 2800lbs... this is COMPLETELY, and 100% normal for any air fill, so don't get down on that.

As for charging for the 800lb fill, cave country is about the only place that you'll find people charging for fills by the lb. So charging full price no matter where your tank is at is also completely normal, so I wouldn't be to upset about that either.

As for the other stuff, if it's a new shop, they might appreciate your constructive critism.

fisheater
07-06-2008, 11:03
About the short fills.

I drop off my tank at the LDS on my way to lunch. They fill it. Let it cool. Then top it off when I return from lunch to pick it up.

That may work for you, too.

DarinMartell
07-06-2008, 14:51
Thanks for all of the replys! Thats why I love this board, it has so much info out there. I understand about the lack of inventory, I am in retail and I know about budget constreaints. The $15 for 5 mins I really didn't mind either, I just wish I would have gotten a new spool out of it. Hindsight shows me that I had the o-rings at home and could have done it myself, so I was more peturbed at myself then them.

The thing that really got to me was the short fills ecspecailly the 800lbd fill. This is the first I have ever heard of loosing 200lbs during cool off, I was waiting for the tanks so I am sure that is what the issue was. Next time I will drop them off and see what happens.

They have been open a couple of months now and I have been in 4 times, each time they have been very friendly. As I said, I didn't want to alienate anyone because they seem to be working hard at being friendly but if they where doing something wrong I was thinking they could use some constructive critisism. But I think I will wait to say anything until after I get another fill (and leave them to be filled).

Splitlip
07-06-2008, 15:20
Thanks for all of the replys! Thats why I love this board, it has so much info out there. I understand about the lack of inventory, I am in retail and I know about budget constreaints. The $15 for 5 mins I really didn't mind either, I just wish I would have gotten a new spool out of it. Hindsight shows me that I had the o-rings at home and could have done it myself, so I was more peturbed at myself then them.

The thing that really got to me was the short fills ecspecailly the 800lbd fill. This is the first I have ever heard of loosing 200lbs during cool off, I was waiting for the tanks so I am sure that is what the issue was. Next time I will drop them off and see what happens.

They have been open a couple of months now and I have been in 4 times, each time they have been very friendly. As I said, I didn't want to alienate anyone because they seem to be working hard at being friendly but if they where doing something wrong I was thinking they could use some constructive critisism. But I think I will wait to say anything until after I get another fill (and leave them to be filled).
Check when you pick them up and if they are short, just ask them top them off. Now, should they refuse, then I'd would say there is an issue.