PDA

View Full Version : Shooting RAW?

johng723
07-06-2008, 10:42
Hey guys, I have a Canon G7, which unfortunately cannot shoot in RAW format. How essential is it to U/W photography? I know that with the G9, they came out with being able to shoot RAW, but I'm not sure if it's worth the upgrade as far as shooting U/W goes. I normally use a D200 on land and have the G7 as my backup. I'm not willing to spend the money for an U/W case on the D200 with the obvious financial reasons and would rather put that money towards a couple of good strobes. Any suggestions?

TxHockeyGuy
07-06-2008, 11:18
Hey guys, I have a Canon G7, which unfortunately cannot shoot in RAW format. How essential is it to U/W photography? I know that with the G9, they came out with being able to shoot RAW, but I'm not sure if it's worth the upgrade as far as shooting U/W goes. I normally use a D200 on land and have the G7 as my backup. I'm not willing to spend the money for an U/W case on the D200 with the obvious financial reasons and would rather put that money towards a couple of good strobes. Any suggestions?

Why not just add RAW to your G7. :)

CHDK - CHDK Wiki (http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page)

I've done this hack with several of my canon A series cameras, never with ill effect. It doesn't actually write a new firmware to your camera which is why I like the method they use so much. It is practically impossible for the firmware to damage your camera and if you don't like it, format the SD card and you're back to normal.

Rileybri
07-06-2008, 11:24

Shooting RAW is not vital to U/W photography however with more info in the image file there are more options for editing later. You can get the CHDK freewear (http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK) to put on your SD card that unlocks the RAW function as well as many others like; numeric battery meter, live histograms and zebra mode to mention a few. There is allot of info on it in a forum on the "other" scuba forum under Canon Corner (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/canon-corner/216951-chdk-hack-possible-added-functionality-some-canon-cameras.html).

hope that helps??

Rileybri

I've done this hack with several of my canon A series cameras, never with ill effect. It doesn't actually write a new firmware to your camera which is why I like the method they use so much. It is practically impossible for the firmware to damage your camera and if you don't like it, format the SD card and you're back to normal.

Dam yo uare fast!!:smiley2:

Geoff_T

You might want to check on the specifications for their raw format. Last I checked that could vary from brand to brand. Nikon Raw offers superior levels of data gathering color depth etc. But if you are not shooting professionally stay with what you have. I know plenty of pro photographers who shoot jpg fine for the majority of their work and only use raw for assignments destined for high end clients.

TxHockeyGuy
07-06-2008, 11:54

You might want to check on the specifications for their raw format. Last I checked that could vary from brand to brand. Nikon Raw offers superior levels of data gathering color depth etc. But if you are not shooting professionally stay with what you have. I know plenty of pro photographers who shoot jpg fine for the majority of their work and only use raw for assignments destined for high end clients.

It's true, at least for the CHDK firmware, that the RAW format is not true 100% RAW (last I looked). Also if I recall not all RAW software will work with their format, I know Google Picasa does. It is still better than JPG and if you're looking for a "good enough" solution, I think it works great. I also love the various histogram features in that firmware. Of course as Geoff_T stated, RAW isn't required at all, just allows you to do more in post processing for when you didn't have those settings (especially white balance) quite right.

johng723
07-06-2008, 13:35
Thanks guys! I'll definitely look into d/ling that software onto my camera. I didn't even know such a thing existed!

allison finch
07-08-2008, 11:25
I all honesty, I shot simple Jpegs for years as the RAW setting on my 5060 was SOOOOO slow. I got really good photos and was able to do any adjustments I needed in photoshop. Don't worry about it, got out and shoot!

Geoff_T
07-09-2008, 17:34
I all honesty, I shot simple Jpegs for years as the RAW setting on my 5060 was SOOOOO slow. I got really good photos and was able to do any adjustments I needed in photoshop. Don't worry about it, got out and shoot!

while the raw does give you a lot more to work with. It is generally not needed unless you plan on blowing something up to a billboard. If you focus on shooting outstanding images you will come back with just that regardless of what format you shoot to.

I wasn't able to consider myself a professional photographer until I could come back with images that needed no treatment. Or very minor croping or such, every time. It can be done and this is realy what you should aim for, granted a good camera can make this easier. But it can also make it more vexing and complicated, so untill you feel comftrable keep it simple and aim for the image.

Aussie
07-10-2008, 13:09
If your camera has RAW and isnt slow at writing to the memory card I would personally use it. I am lucky that with dSLR you can shoot both fine JPGs and RAW.

It is amazing what you can do with editing a RAW shot even before you throw it into PS. If your serious about your photography RAW is a must. The really good photos can turn into really great photos with a little bit of editing. More Data you have the more you can play with it.

If your going to shoot only JPG remember to save in TIFF so you retain most of your data on the shot.

Aussie

jugglematt
07-10-2008, 16:46
while what others have said is very true , and if you have raw you should use it if its fast , i dont think its a deal breaker for the P&S level of photography.
if you click on my flickr Flickr: cliffbutt100's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jugglematt/) page and have a quick look at some of my photos im shooting Jpeg with a P&S camera and im getting some good shots .

i think getting a reasonable priced canon or ikelite housing for your camera and getting in the water will be more than enough to keep you buisy .
the Ike housing is better if you want the ability to easily add lenses and electric fired strobes , thecanon housing is good for being cheaper light and smaller to fit in the hand
then getting a wide lense and some strobes if you are prepared to spend some more money is heaps to keep you going , dont sweat about raw, get a housing get your camera wet and have fun , then start learning about composition ,lighting, ect ect ect ..

on the strobe front i would recoment in Inon Z240 or d2000 or perhaps a sea&sea ys110 ?? , i have had inon strobes for a while they are easy to use , they allow plenty of manual controll. and one of my strobes has done about 600 dives without a fault ,
what ever strobe you buy getting one with a built in modeling light(it assists in camera focus in low light ) is essential. if you buy a good strobe (or 2) you will take them with you if you upgrade your camera setup in the distant future .

you will also need a base plate and arms . i would recomend the Ultralight arms and base plate , or perhaps the Bubble arms

hope this helps
Matt