PDA

View Full Version : dolphin encounters

jgraton
08-08-2007, 23:12
I've seen an increase in ads for dolphin encounters. I always thought of divers as more environmentally concious and against captive mammals, but the increase in places offering such dives must mean there is a market for them. What does everybody think about this?

DivingsInMyBlood
08-08-2007, 23:15
Im not to found of animals out of the wild. They tend to be where money can be made to see them, as long as people want to see them they will be captive in certain areas.

deepdiver47
08-09-2007, 07:39
You spend a great deal of $$ and time to spend a few minutes with these animals. It does build awareness to the couch potatoe crowd. But I really hate to see an intelligent animal like this under lock and key.

ScaredSilly
08-10-2007, 15:03
Many say they are doing research in the name of the dolphins - I read this as "okay so how much can we charge"

Sorry, I do not believe in any of these places. I also do not participate in the "feedings" either.

My last dophin encounter was while hanging off the bow of the boat. About 6 came in to play. They hung out for about 5-10 minutes while we cruised back in. Close enough that I could touch them and see them looking at me. Very Cool

Osprey
08-11-2007, 09:53
"There is about as much educational
benefit to be gained in studying dolphins
in captivity as there would be
studying mankind by only observing
prisoners held in solitary confinement "
- Jacques Cousteau

DivingsInMyBlood
08-11-2007, 20:09
"There is about as much educational
benefit to be gained in studying dolphins
in captivity as there would be
studying mankind by only observing
prisoners held in solitary confinement "
- Jacques Cousteau

I like that it really rings true. kinda like when they try to keep great whites and they die because their not meant to be confined.

porsche060
08-13-2007, 16:27
I thought all dolphin encounters (organized by cruises, etc) are by chance?

georoc01
08-13-2007, 19:04
Check out Anthony's Key in Roatan. They have dolphin dives where they are let out of their pen, follow the boat out, dive with you and then go back.

94GTStang
08-14-2007, 00:44
I'm not a fan of the overpriced encounters. I would rather spend half the money, strap a tank to my back, and get more bang for my buck underwater