PDA

View Full Version : TrashFest 2008 Team

Vercingetorix
07-07-2008, 08:30
Are there any 'Dillos (or future 'Dillos, or folks who want to join a winning team) who want to put together a team?

If we get enough participation (at least 8 or so), we'll put this together.

Texas Gulf Coast Council of Dive Clubs (http://www.tgccdiving.org/trashfest/)

thanks to Rhino's TrashFest thread (http://forum.scubatoys.com/texas-swamp-divers/14881-trashfest-08-comal-river-cleanup.html)

either leave a note in this thread or PM me.

mm_dm
07-10-2008, 13:59
I hope you've had some responses on this, it's a great you're trying to put a group together from up North :smiley32::smiley32:

TRACI
07-31-2008, 13:19
Are there any 'Dillos (or future 'Dillos, or folks who want to join a winning team) who want to put together a team?

If we get enough participation (at least 8 or so), we'll put this together.

Texas Gulf Coast Council of Dive Clubs (http://www.tgccdiving.org/trashfest/)

thanks to Rhino's TrashFest thread (http://forum.scubatoys.com/texas-swamp-divers/14881-trashfest-08-comal-river-cleanup.html)

either leave a note in this thread or PM me.

I will plan on being there, I have never been before, sounds fun. We have a large group, so I will see how many people I can get to attend.

aggie99
07-31-2008, 14:19
You can count me in. I wanted to come to my first Dillo meeting on the 7th but I have Rescue class.

Vercingetorix
07-31-2008, 18:38
Well, that's two people for the Dillos' team: thanks Traci, thanks Aggie99.

Aggie99, I'm sorry you can't make the August meeting. No prob, bro. We'll see you at the September meeting then. We'll will have just returned from our annual trip to Lake Ouchita. FWIW...there are still a couple place left on the dive barge, if you care to join us.

aggie99
07-31-2008, 19:02
Well, that's two people for the Dillos' team: thanks Traci, thanks Aggie99.

Aggie99, I'm sorry you can't make the August meeting. No prob, bro. We'll see you at the September meeting then. We'll will have just returned from our annual trip to Lake Ouchita. FWIW...there are still a couple place left on the dive barge, if you care to join us.

What are the dates you are going to Lake Ouachita? I am heading out to Monterey Bay to dive the Kelp forests from the 28th of August to the 2nd of September, if it doesn't overlap with that trip I would love to go. How much is a spot?

Vercingetorix
07-31-2008, 19:15
What are the dates you are going to Lake Ouachita? I am heading out to Monterey Bay to dive the Kelp forests from the 28th of August to the 2nd of September, if it doesn't overlap with that trip I would love to go. How much is a spot?Those are the dates we'll be at Ouachita. Man, I'm jealous. I was scheduled to dive the Monterey kelp forests in May of last year, but they're not at their peak then. So, I canceled the dive. That, and all I had was 11 dives to my name.

See you at the September meeting.

aggie99
07-31-2008, 19:36
What are the dates you are going to Lake Ouachita? I am heading out to Monterey Bay to dive the Kelp forests from the 28th of August to the 2nd of September, if it doesn't overlap with that trip I would love to go. How much is a spot?Those are the dates we'll be at Ouachita. Man, I'm jealous. I was scheduled to dive the Monterey kelp forests in May of last year, but they're not at their peak then. So, I canceled the dive. That, and all I had was 11 dives to my name.

See you at the September meeting.

I honestly don't know if the end of August is a good time for kelp, I just have a friend out there that wanted me to come out so I am going out for the weekend. Hopefully I can make the September meeting, I have been tryng to attend since March and something has always overlapped.

Rhino
07-31-2008, 20:48
Thanks for crediting my TrashFest post V!

I'm still planning on participating.

TRACI
08-01-2008, 08:55
[quote=Vercingetorix;209460]Well, that's two people for the Dillos' team: thanks Traci, thanks Aggie99.

I will have 3 people total, including myself, that will be coming. Got some great room rates at Rodeway Inn for 39.95 per night. I know not 5 star, but its a bed and shower :)

Vercingetorix
08-01-2008, 09:05
I will have 3 people total, including myself, that will be coming. Got some great room rates at Rodeway Inn for 39.95 per night. I know not 5 star, but its a bed and shower Good deal. Address of hotel?

TRACI
08-01-2008, 09:40
I will have 3 people total, including myself, that will be coming. Got some great room rates at Rodeway Inn for 39.95 per night. I know not 5 star, but its a bed and shower Good deal. Address of hotel?

Rodeway Inn
1209 I-35 N.
New Braunfels, TX 78130Phone: (830) 629-6991
Fax: (830) 629-0754

You have to speak to Ashley to get the discount, they are allowing a certain # of rooms at the discounted price. She said it is about a 10 minute drive the event.

aggie99
08-13-2008, 19:01
I have one more for the dive team, I think that makes the total 6.

TRACI
08-14-2008, 09:12
So far the total I have, including myself is 4

Vercingetorix
08-14-2008, 09:32
Go Team!!!

Aggie and TRACI: who are the 4 or 6 that you've identified?

aggie99
08-14-2008, 10:04
Go Team!!!

Aggie and TRACI: who are the 4 or 6 that you've identified?

My two are me and Greg Crouse, Traci now has four, and with you that makes 7...leaving only one spot open on this "heavly favored to win" team:smiley20:

TRACI
08-14-2008, 10:08
Jeff Wagner, Kevin Thompson, Traci Thompson, Sandi Sherrill

TRACI
08-14-2008, 15:47
I may have a 8th person for our winning team

TRACI
09-08-2008, 11:53
Vercingetorix and Aggie99, are yall still planning on going to Trashfest? I now have 6 people who want to come to Trashfest. So I may have to be on a separate team. If yall are still planning on going, that would put at 9 people.

ReefHound
09-08-2008, 12:13
If there is an odd number or individuals without a team, we will find a place for everyone. Last year I believe we formed two teams just from people showing up as individuals. There are usually a few teams who show up a little short because someone couldn't make it.

TRACI
09-08-2008, 12:28
The other two that want to come with me are non-divers, so they said they will be the required two people that have to be the ground crew.

Vercingetorix
09-08-2008, 12:45
Vercingetorix and Aggie99, are yall still planning on going to Trashfest? I now have 6 people who want to come to Trashfest. So I may have to be on a separate team. If yall are still planning on going, that would put at 9 people.Traci, I am unable to attend.

Therefore, I hereby designate you as Team leader.

Thanks. Takes pictures.

aggie99
09-08-2008, 13:05
Vercingetorix and Aggie99, are yall still planning on going to Trashfest? I now have 6 people who want to come to Trashfest. So I may have to be on a separate team. If yall are still planning on going, that would put at 9 people. My friend and I still plan on attending, I think the minimum is 8 but if we have a few more it isn't a big deal.

ReefHound
09-08-2008, 14:25
Team maximum is 8.

TRACI
09-08-2008, 15:07
Vercingetorix and Aggie99, are yall still planning on going to Trashfest? I now have 6 people who want to come to Trashfest. So I may have to be on a separate team. If yall are still planning on going, that would put at 9 people. My friend and I still plan on attending, I think the minimum is 8 but if we have a few more it isn't a big deal.

Well aggie99, if Vercingetorix is dropping out, then we will have 8 if you still want to be on a winning team :)

aggie99
09-08-2008, 15:27

Well aggie99, if Vercingetorix is dropping out, then we will have 8 if you still want to be on a winning team :)

we do!!

TRACI
09-08-2008, 15:41
We need to come up with a good team name, let me if you have any ideas and I can pre-register the team, I think it will save a little $$ to register ahead of time.

aggie99
09-15-2008, 14:28
did you guys and gals come up with a name??

TRACI
09-15-2008, 16:48
did you guys and gals come up with a name??

Not yet, open for suggestion.

You register under a club name, which our is Scubacudas, then you still have to come up with a team name?? Open for suggestions.

aggie99
09-16-2008, 15:39
How about "Certified H20 penetrators"

TRACI
09-16-2008, 15:59
Too funny, sounds good to me.

Rhino
09-18-2008, 22:15
Texas Gulf Coast Council of Dive Clubs (http://www.tgccdiving.org/trashfest/teams.html)
Was wondering if anybody is part of a registered team yet? I will be part of the Two Dogs Dive Crew.

TRACI
09-19-2008, 14:26

As of today, we are officially pre-registered :smiley20:

ReefHound
09-19-2008, 15:46
Your team name can be your club name and if you have no club/shop name you can make up anything you want or just put None. You can also email a small logo or url link if you want, as long as you own it or obtain express permission. For example, if you want to use the Scubatoys name or logo you would have to get Larry's explicit permission.

Vercingetorix
10-05-2008, 10:01
How did the event go? Have Fun? Find lotsa stuff?

TRACI
10-06-2008, 09:30
We had a good time, did not find very much trash, compared to what some of the other teams weighed in. I think we had 48 #'s .

Did not win any of the door prizes :(

ReefHound
10-06-2008, 09:50
We had a good time, did not find very much trash, compared to what some of the other teams weighed in. I think we had 48 #'s .

Did not win any of the door prizes :(

Neither did my team. Believe me, while it surely seemed as if *everyone else* was winning because there were 50 something prizes and the parade of winners lasted over an hour, remember there were 400 divers there. A couple of my buddies were one number away from winning including the grand prize but this ain't horseshoes.

TRACI
10-06-2008, 10:13
I think everyone on the Finz team took home all the prizes.

ScubaJ
10-06-2008, 10:32
Great day around the water, thats fo sho!

I was kind of disappointed to see the lengths that some people would go to get trash. Emptying all the "trash boats" and any trash cans on land. Not to mention dragging out the cement bags from old retaining walls (on riverbed, not in-use walls). Not really in the spirit of things, but oh well. I still had a great time and enjoyed my first dive on the Comal.

I'll certainly be making another trip to the Comal very soon.

Surprisingly, I actually won something! My luck is so bad, that I had everyone else pick their band before taking mine for fear that simply touching them would jinx everyone else.

TRACI
10-06-2008, 10:37
I heard several teams talking about emptying the trash cans on land, I did not know that teams were supposed to be doing that.

aggie99
10-06-2008, 10:56
I heard several teams talking about emptying the trash cans on land, I did not know that teams were supposed to be doing that.

It was a lot of fun, we had a blast. What I found funny was that all you won for most trash was a tshirt so I am not sure the motivation (other than bragging rights) there was to find ultra creative ways to pad your numbers. The winning team brought in over 1000# worth of trash. I heard they drug up large pieces of concrete (probably form someones dock) to get that number. You are right that it doesn't seem to be in the spirit of the event. The time they took to get those out of the water could have meant a lot more "real" trash could have been removed, oh well, I hope they like their tshirts!

It was cool to dive the comal even if it is 5' in most parts, my computer never actually registered a dive. We had a great time, but of course walking a way with a trip somewhere would have been even cooler, oh well, the comal is 48# lighter of "real" trash!

Thanks teammates, it was a blast!

ScubaJ
10-06-2008, 10:58
I don't know the exact rules, but it doesn't seem to be in the spirit of "cleaning up the river". I would take that to mean, removing the trash from the RIVER, not designated trash receptacles.
But..... whateva.

I was out there to help cleanup, have a great time, dive a new location, and meet some new divers.
100% mission accomplished, so I was completely happy with the day. I can't wait to go back and do a normal dive on the Comal.

brains
10-06-2008, 11:08
I don't know the exact rules, but it doesn't seem to be in the spirit of "cleaning up the river". I would take that to mean, removing the trash from the RIVER, not designated trash receptacles.
But..... whateva.

I was out there to help cleanup, have a great time, dive a new location, and meet some new divers.
100% mission accomplished, so I was completely happy with the day. I can't wait to go back and do a normal dive on the Comal.

Normal dives on the comal for us are treasure hunting dives:smiley20: On any given sunday morning during the summer you can find 8-10 pair of sunglasses, watches, earrings, rings, hats, money, lighters, bikini tops, whole wallets, etc. Amazing what people lose on the river.:smiley36:

ReefHound
10-06-2008, 11:41
For those that don't know, I am the TGCC vice president, TGCC website admin (including the Trashfest site), and help with the event in other ways.

The Trashfest Rules and Requirements (http://www.tgccdiving.org/trashfest/rules.html) are listed on the website and a copy was given to every diver in the welcome packet.

Rule 2. "Everything collected must come out of the Comal River during the hours of competition. The grounds crews primary responsibility is to assist divers, but they may collect trash from along the river bank." This does not mean emptying the trash cans, maybe we need to be more explicit.

Rule 5e. "Individual teams must not share or trade trash for the purpose of winning "Super Scooper" t-shirts." This is potentially a concern with shops that send multiple teams BUT I have not heard any allegations of this happening.

Rule 7. "Please respect private property." This is the most important rule in my mind. Tearing out cement bags from retaining walls is the kind of violation that could potentially END this event. If we ever come to be seen as hooligans that destroy things we will NOT be welcome in New Braunfels. I would hope this was an isolated incident and I know that the vast majority of participants, like those in this thread, are there to just have a good time and help do something for the environment.

Please PM me with any violations you personally witnessed and any suggestions to improve this event (in any area). Now let me say we will not be going back and disqualifying or reprimanding anyone, that's spring water under the bridge. Nor do we want to create more and more picky rules with monitors in each section looking over your shoulders. The reality is that if someone really wants to cheat they will find a way. I think most violations are just competitive divers getting a little carried away in the moment.

Finally, if you would like another opportunity to have one of those coveted t-shirts, you can buy them online (http://www.tgccdiving.org/trashfest/order_form.html) until Oct 12.

TRACI
10-06-2008, 12:11

It was cool to dive the comal even if it is 5' in most parts, my computer never actually registered a dive. We had a great time, but of course walking a way with a trip somewhere would have been even cooler, oh well, the comal is 48# lighter of "real" trash!

Thanks teammates, it was a blast!

Atleast our 48# was legit. Does seem like kinda of funny people would violate the rules to just get a t-shirt.

ScubaJ
10-06-2008, 12:27
From my perspective, it looked like they were removing cement bags that toppled off the retaining wall. They weren't actually dis-mantling the retaining wall.

All in all, none of that stuff bothered me, I just found it kinda odd that people would go to those lengths for a t-shirt. Either way, trash was removed from the river system, and that was the most important thing. :smiley20:

Also: Well done to all those that organized the whole event!!!!
The registration process was very quick and painless. The assigned sections were easily identified. The Cleanup officials must have done a lot of leg work to get permission from many of the private property people along the river, as there were plenty of private property locations open to us. The food and free beer was Great after a full day on the river. Last, but not least, there were a ton of Amazing prizes to be given away!

brains
10-06-2008, 12:32
Rule 7. "Please respect private property." This is the most important rule in my mind. Tearing out cement bags from retaining walls is the kind of violation that could potentially END this event. If we ever come to be seen as hooligans that destroy things we will NOT be welcome in New Braunfels. I would hope this was an isolated incident and I know that the vast majority of participants, like those in this thread, are there to just have a good time and help do something for the environment.

I personally witnessed the team bring the cement bags up from the bottom of the river. I have dove the comal numerous times and those were from the old camp warneke condos retaining wall that collapsed several years ago. Trust me when i say that they did not bring up 1/2 of what is down there., nor did they remove them from an existing wall or dock. The same team also recovered an old sign that washed into the river several years ago. I would not have put forth the effort that they did to remove something that harmless to the river, but they did and i did not see anything resembling "hooligan" like behavior from any team. The only thing that might cause problems for next year were the teams that ignored the requests by "The Other Place" and went on their property anyway.:smiley13:

ReefHound
10-06-2008, 12:54
I am relieved to hear that the cement bags were already fallen into the river and not removed from the walls. I may have interpreted the comment incorrectly but I am wondering if we should just disallow them in the future. One, they are relatively harmless. Two, once at the weigh-in there is no way to tell if they were taken from the river bottom or a retaining wall. Three, some future team might be tempted to remove "loose" ones from a wall.

We were joking late Sat night that someday a team is liable to bring a crane and remove one of the dams.

Vercingetorix
10-06-2008, 13:57
Thank, guys, for the reports. Sound like a good time was had by all.

I hope to make it to next year's clean-up. Gotta have 'Dillo on the 'Dillo Team.

Consider yourselves to be Honorary ScubaDillos!!!!
(And hard-working ones, at that!!!)

TexasDivers
10-06-2008, 14:23
Well I will say our 1000+ was "legit" as well. We pulled up the cement bags, the ones with rebar sticking out of them, that were in the middle of the river from a wall that had fallen years ago. If they didn't count we would have pulled them anyway since the rebar was sticking up in most cases. We actually had that discussion while pulling them up. I would rather have that out of the river instead of someone stepping on them or running into them. The sign came out as well. It was a big wooden sign with the cement bottom still attached and was a PITA to get out.

We also pulled up close to 300#s of cans and other miscellaneous stuff as well to go along with the sign and bags. Everything was buried in the weeds and wedged in the rocks.

Thanks brains for setting things straight :) and you are correct we didn't get 1/2 of what was there as most of us were beat trying to get things out.

Oh and a huge thanks to those that ran/hosted this event. We all had a great time and completely enjoyed the day.

TexasDivers
10-06-2008, 15:04
Just so everyone knows I am not trying to be a jerk, just stating things from our view. Actually came to the boards to read on how everyone else's day went because we had a blast the whole day. Crystal clear water for a good 15 - 20 minutes HEHE :)

TRACI
10-06-2008, 15:04
Rebar is kinda of dangerous, that would hurt running into that while diving.

I just think the teams that were taking cans out of a trash container was unneccesary.

ScubaJ
10-06-2008, 16:19
Just so everyone knows I am not trying to be a jerk, just stating things from our view.

You were not being a jerk at all. Thanks for clarifying. Either way, it was well within the rules, as it was IN the river, as well as a very real hazard to anyone enjoying the river. Job well done on that front.

Like I said earlier; no matter what, more than a Ton of trash was removed & everyone I talked to had a great time and were already looking forward to next years event. Thats a success in my book!