PDA

View Full Version : Compass Bubble

RMur
07-08-2008, 10:36
I have an Oceanic compass, oil-filled as I suppose is standard.

My question, how large an air bubble do you have in your compass?

The size of the bubble in mine appears excessive. Perhaps interfering with the rotation of the card.

The bubbles tend to be elongated at the top of the compass. But best I can tell, mine appears to be over an inch long when it is at the top of the compass.

MSilvia
07-08-2008, 11:20
My question, how large an air bubble do you have in your compass?
It depends on the depth. There's a bit of a bubble on the surface, but not much of one at 60 feet.

thor
07-08-2008, 11:21
It's not the size of the bubble that matters, but how you use it.

Swanny
07-08-2008, 12:04
My Oceanic compass has a bubble as well that is about the same circumference as a pencil eraser. As others have said, the bubble gets smaller the deeper you dive.

CompuDude
07-08-2008, 14:57
My compass (Suunto SK7) has no bubble.

Most compasses should not have a bubble. It's indicative of a tiny leak... and one that gets worse. Generally you can ignore it until it starts to interfere, though... then it's time for a new compass.

If you have a bubble in a new compass, exchange it for one that doesn't.

There are exceptions... certain dome compasses have a bubble by design that is intended to help you keep the compass level by centering it. That's not the usual kind of compass used by divers, however.

RMur
07-16-2008, 15:49
I went ahead and replaced the Oceanic compass with a replacement module. When the new module arrived from ScubaToys - no bubble :smiley20:

I bought the other compass used in a console and when I took it out of the console I noticed what looked like some superglue on the bottom of the module. I suspect it has been leaking for awhile and the previous ower tried to address it that way.

I hat to get rid of it. Anyone know of any way to add oil to a leaking compass and seal it back up?

Could I use a hypodermic at the already present leak spot?

What kind of oil should I inject?

I'm the worlds biggest cheapskate and I hate to see a perfectly good compass (ie. it points north) go to waste.

BTW - Kudos to ST for sending me an Oceanic replacement. I know the Aeris they had on the shelf was the same thing, but they went the extra mile to get me the same thing i had before.

Lawdude
07-25-2008, 15:45
I have the same thing with an Oceanic compass. Large bubble, and the thing will not keep a heading, so I ordered a new one here from ST. Some have told me to not throw the old one away as the pool where I tested it has a bunch of steel at the bottom. So I ordered a wrist boot too. I can put the new compass in the wrist boot or old console and if I:buzzsaw::buzzsaw: can get the old one to hold a heading, I can let my wife use it in the boot. She is female so she never gets lost and if she would, she could always stop and ask for directions.

thagar
08-07-2008, 16:10
It's not the size of the bubble that matters, but how you use it.

Do bubbles know about shrinkage?