PDA

View Full Version : Larry, please advise!

freediver
08-09-2007, 11:59
I was in your area yesterday (8 August) for an appt. and, sorry to say, unable to drop in your store. Here is what I wanted to know from you (or anyone else). For future reference, what are some good restaurants in your immediate area? We ate at the El Chico (very good) just down from you but would like a few more ideas. Any cuisine is fair game. Thanks all!

WV Diver
08-09-2007, 12:01
Larry is out till Sat. maybe Sun. Wish I could help but someone here can I'm sure.

Foo2
08-09-2007, 12:14
This place is pretty tastey and pretty close to ST.
The Prarie House 1006 W Main St, Carrollton, TX 75006

torrey
08-09-2007, 12:36
Ooh Ooh, I've got one...Babe's Chicken! Best fried chicken I've ever had - just a little north of ScubaToys.

www.babeschicken.com

map from ScubaToys (http://maps.yahoo.com/dd_result.php?q1=1609+S+I-35e%2C+Carrollton%2C+TX++75006%2C+United+States&q2=1006+w.+main%2C+carrollton%2C+tx&q3=&q4=&q5=)

It's basically family-style - you get unlimited salad, biscuits, and veggies (mashed potatoes, corn, green beans), and then your main entree - fried chicken, chicken tenders, chicken-fried-steak, etc. Great atmosphere and very popular, so get there early if you decide to go.

torrey
08-09-2007, 12:38

Wait...that's the same address as mine. Did it just change names or is Babe's no longer there?

freediver
08-09-2007, 12:47

Wait...that's the same address as mine. Did it just change names or is Babe's no longer there?
Haha, that's funny! Hey what kinda operation ya'll runnin' here?

torrey
08-09-2007, 12:56
Well, the website still shows that as the Carrollton address, so I'm going to guess it goes by other names as well.

I tell you though, as much as I like diving...if both ScubaToys and Babe's were about to close and I could only choose one, I'd hit up Babe's, hehe.

Other than that place, I would say head up I-35 a couple of miles into Lewisville...lot's of restaurants up there. I used to live near there and my friends and I were always fond of Duke's Roadhouse.

ScubaToys Larry
08-09-2007, 17:03
No, that prairie house closed down about a year ago, then became a babes chicken.

Real close to us.. that's about it... but 5 miles north on 35 you run into a slew of places... You can see them on both sides of the highway just north of 121.

Foo2
08-09-2007, 17:42
big fat bummer on the prairie house! it was pretty good. i used to eat there when i worked in carrollton. but, that has been about 4 years ago. sorry for the bad info!

TommyB
08-09-2007, 21:30
I was in your area yesterday (8 August) for an appt. and, sorry to say, unable to drop in your store. Here is what I wanted to know from you (or anyone else). For future reference, what are some good restaurants in your immediate area? We ate at the El Chico (very good) just down from you but would like a few more ideas. Any cuisine is fair game. Thanks all!

Mansion on Turtle Creek

Great service, nice wine selection, etc.
Wife and I eat there at least 2 times a month.

http://www.mansiononturtlecreek.com/

click on dining
or here's the link
http://www.mansiononturtlecreek.com/dine1.cfm

Not too far from ST ..

TxHockeyGuy
08-09-2007, 23:43

Mansion on Turtle Creek

Great service, nice wine selection, etc.
Wife and I eat there at least 2 times a month.

http://www.mansiononturtlecreek.com/

click on dining
or here's the link
http://www.mansiononturtlecreek.com/dine1.cfm

Not too far from ST ..

Yowsers, if you aren't recommending the high priced establishments.

I usually go for the local Wendy's or other such places, it's cheaper and leaves more money to spend at ScubaToys. Another option is to head south and then west on 635, there are a ton of places not too far down the road. Of course north just past 121 up in Lewisville also offers a whole slew of places as previously recommended.

dallasdivergirl
08-10-2007, 10:39
Babe's, Hole in the Wall & Keller's for burgers, and at the Loop 12/NW hwy/35E interchange there are some good places like Pappa's BBQ, Pappa's Steakhouse, Pappasito's and Wendy's and Jack in the box....

freediver
08-10-2007, 11:18
Yowsers, if you aren't recommending the high priced establishments.

I usually go for the local Wendy's or other such places, it's cheaper and leaves more money to spend at ScubaToys. Another option is to head south and then west on 635, there are a ton of places not too far down the road. Of course north just past 121 up in Lewisville also offers a whole slew of places as previously recommended.
Thanks for the suggestions and, yes, I am all about the cheap.
Wine? Isn't that what my wife starts to do after spending the whole day with her? :smiley36:

freediver
08-10-2007, 11:21
Babe's, Hole in the Wall & Keller's for burgers, and at the Loop 12/NW hwy/35E interchange there are some good places like Pappa's BBQ, Pappa's Steakhouse, Pappasito's and Wendy's and Jack in the box....
Yea, we saw all of the "Pappa's" places! What's up with that? Is this like a Gotti Food Establishment ring or something? :smiley36:

torrey
08-10-2007, 11:43
Throw Pappadeux's into that mix too. They're all owned by the Pappa's brothers. Not a bad idea putting them all together if you can afford the real estate...cover all of the major cuisines in one area so people don't have to drive all over town. I'm sure there's been a number of people who couldn't make up their minds on what they wanted, so they can just go to that area and worry about their decision later.

dallasdivergirl
08-10-2007, 12:14
I couldn't remember how to spell Pappaduex. *smacks forehead*

I did notice on the drive into Austin on 35 the Pappa's group pops up 3 or 4 times. They have some weird monoply. But if someone's buying....

georoc01
08-10-2007, 13:08
You will find them all over Houston too. But other than Pappadeux's, I haven't seen any of the others outside of the republic of Texas.