PDA

View Full Version : Pic of a Necklace?

Ron G.
07-08-2008, 14:39
I keep reading references to a necklace, usually related to an Octo.

I don't know what this looks like.

Can someone upload a photo, or point me to one?

Thx.

Ron

ScubaToys Larry
07-08-2008, 14:50
Manta Regulator Necklace, DIR and Technical, Manta, Manta Regulator Necklace (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MantaRegulatorNecklace)

BSea
07-08-2008, 16:17
Here's a thread on making your own.

http://forum.scubatoys.com/diy/4965-diy-reg-necklace.html

I can't imagine not using one any more. I use the 3/8" bungie, but several methods are described & shown in the above thread. I have never used the manta necklace, but I've seen people that use them & wouldn't have anything else.

MSilvia
07-08-2008, 16:27
I'm not crazy about the manta myself... it seemed a little loose (with an Apeks tx-50) for my taste.

Splitlip
07-08-2008, 16:40
I bought one (Manta) and do not care for it. Not secure enough around the mouth piece (R190). I use DIY bungee and threw the manta in my save a dive

texdiveguy
07-08-2008, 16:50
I'm not crazy about the manta myself... it seemed a little loose (with an Apeks tx-50) for my taste.

Had the same issue....it can be resolved with one small zip tie to tighten the slack...BUT I still was not comfy with the length of the necklace so went back to my trusty surgical tube and a zip tie.

Splitlip
07-08-2008, 17:09

Had the same issue....it can be resolved with one small zip tie to tighten the slack....

DOH!

Splitlip
07-08-2008, 17:12
I keep reading references to a necklace, usually related to an Octo.

I don't know what this looks like.

Can someone upload a photo, or point me to one?

Thx.

Ron

Octopus necklace :smilie39:
https://shanalogic.com/item_images/1613_susie_octo_full.jpg

texdiveguy
07-08-2008, 17:19

Had the same issue....it can be resolved with one small zip tie to tighten the slack....

DOH!

DOH.. ?

Vercingetorix
07-08-2008, 17:42
I use the Manta necklace for my octo. It hangs low enough so as not to block my view of gear (yes, I know where my gear is by position and touch), but I don't want one that strangles me. As for the looseness; I'm thinking, if OOA buddy grabs it instead of my main reg (as he should), then the Manta easily releases the octo.

texdiveguy
07-08-2008, 17:55
I use the Manta necklace for my octo. It hangs low enough so as not to block my view of gear (yes, I know where my gear is by position and touch), but I don't want one that strangles me. As for the looseness; I'm thinking, if OOA buddy grabs it instead of my main reg (as he should), then the Manta easily releases the octo.

Yes your thinking is correct in any necklace being 'breakaway' designed.

The Manta is just to long for me....it allows the reg. to dangle. I prefer to be able to adjust my necklaces length to better match my thermo gear in use....easy to do with surgical tube.

CompuDude
07-08-2008, 17:57
It's in that other thread, but here, for the lazy:

http://kalani.net/scuba/divegear/dir/Thumb_IMG_0232.JPGhttp://kalani.net/scuba/divegear/dir/Thumb_IMG_0233.JPG

I use 3/16" bungee and the double fisherman's knot (http://www.animatedknots.com/doublefishermansscouting/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com) method of tying it on (hint: the reg mouthpiece goes in between the two knots).

Vercingetorix
07-08-2008, 17:59
The Manta is just to long for me....it allows the reg. to dangle. I prefer to be able to adjust my necklaces length to better match my thermo gear in use....easy to do with surgical tube.There are two lengths at ST. I use the short.

That said, I will go to surgical tubing one day. The Manta permitted to "try before I buy" the necklace concept.

I've got a Manta for sale: $9 plus shipping.

texdiveguy
07-08-2008, 18:04
The Manta is just to long for me....it allows the reg. to dangle. I prefer to be able to adjust my necklaces length to better match my thermo gear in use....easy to do with surgical tube.There are two lengths at ST. I use the short.

That said, I will go to surgical tubing one day. The Manta permitted to "try before I buy" the necklace concept.

I've got a Manta for sale: $9 plus shipping.

Now that's a good buy!

PS--- I looked for you the other day at CSSP, but my lose in not finding you...we will have to hook-up for a dip. :)

Splitlip
07-08-2008, 18:15

DOH!

DOH.. ?

Yeah! I'm a zip tie guy. Can't believe I did not think to do that.

texdiveguy
07-08-2008, 18:24

DOH!

DOH.. ?

Yeah! I'm a zip tie guy. Can't believe I did not think to do that.

Zip Tie folks UNITE!!!!

:)

drifter136
07-08-2008, 18:29
I use 3/16" bungee and the double fisherman's knot (http://www.animatedknots.com/doublefishermansscouting/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com) method of tying it on (hint: the reg mouthpiece goes in between the two knots).

That is an awesome link! Definitely bookmarked it. The step-by-step pics are the best I have seen anywhere. Thanks for posting that CompuDude.

Ron G.
07-08-2008, 19:34
Okay, I guess I get it.

The DIR link that BSea provided describes the necklace holding the "back-up regulator". I assume that's the same thing as an octopus.

I also gather that this is a specialized rig used by technical divers.

Frankly, however, it makes no sense to me why a recreational diver would use a necklace. I don't want a rubber tube hanging around my neck. I guess I understand that it keeps your octo very close at hand, but my guess is that typical recreational divers will run into an OOA situation maybe one time in a couple hundred dives....maybe?

Having said that, I guess more extreme diving might make it more important to get access to the octopus.

I'm a newer, tropical kind of diver and I don't ever expect to be in situations where keeping my octopus in a more traditional position will be a problem.

Thanks for the explanation, though. There are many things about technical diving that are (and probably always will be) beyond me.

Ron

CompuDude
07-08-2008, 19:41
Okay, I guess I get it.

The DIR link that BSea provided describes the necklace holding the "back-up regulator". I assume that's the same thing as an octopus.

Frankly, however, it makes no sense to me why a recreational diver would use a necklace. I don't want a rubber tube hanging around my neck. I guess I understand that it keeps your octo very close at hand, but my guess is that typical recreational divers will run into an OOA situation maybe one time in a couple hundred dives....maybe?

Having said that, I guess more extreme diving might make it more important to get access to the octopus.

I'm a newer, tropical kind of diver and I don't ever expect to be in situations where keeping my octopus in a more traditional position will be a problem.

Thanks for the explanation, though. There are many things about technical diving that are (and probably always will be) beyond me.

Ron

It only takes once for someone to die.

texdiveguy
07-08-2008, 20:44
Okay, I guess I get it.

Ron

Ron.... the use of a necklaced alt. second stage (octo) is not really a tech thing.....it can be as easily applied to recreational diving as well. In this configuration the diver will in all likely hood have their primary second stage on a long hose. In an OOG situation the long hosed primary is donated and you go onto the necklaced alt. second. This is a very effective means for both divers to get the gas under a stressful situation.

SlvrDragon50
07-12-2008, 22:19
I see no reason why to not use one. Anything that makes an OOA situation simpler should be encouraged in all types of diving.

Vercingetorix
07-12-2008, 22:40
Today, I switched my octo to a 22-inch hose to be rid of the "halo" when worn on my necklace. Now, the octo is of little use to the OOA diver.

Ron G, I am a recreational diver. I've switched to the necklace octo because it guarantees that I have access to air when I need it. If a clumsy dive buddy kicks my reg out of my mouth, I don't have to hunt for the reg with the two methods I learned in OW. I simply lift the octo to my mouth, clear, and breathe. Then swear at the dive buddy while I recover my main reg.

Secondly, I previously attached my octo to my right-shoulder D-ring, routing it under my right arm. I no longer contend with that getting caught in whatever else I have on my right side.

I do not feel it on my neck, as you mention.