PDA

View Full Version : Double Standards

JTMoney
07-08-2008, 15:46
I was talking with a couple buddies the other day and we were discussing double standards and how they always seem to work on women's favor. (At least when it comes to our SO's, maybe we're doing it wrong!:smiley19:) Anyway, we were only able to come up with a few that worked in men's favor.

What we came up with were:

-Cussing, Men can do it for the most part and it seems fine (situation matters though). General consensus was that women seem a lot less attractive when cussing like a sailor.

-Places like Hooters. (Strip Clubs may be a different story) Guys can go to these places for the most part and they're just being guys. We just couldn't see a female themed restaurant going down as well. Guys in hot pants with The View, America's Next Top Model, and Lifetime on the tv instead of sports.

So, I was wondering, can you guys think of anymore double standards that work in men's favor? There really doesn't seem to be many.

MSilvia
07-08-2008, 16:13
It might fall in with the "places like hooters" thing, but one of the classic gender double standards is sexual promiscuity. The big difference between being a "lady's man" and a "slut" is gender. I'd say that one works out better for the men, reputation-wise... not that it matters to us married folk.

Splitlip
07-08-2008, 16:14
The most obvious: A guy who scores with lots of girls is a stud, playa whatever.. think James Bond.

A girl who hooks up with a lot of guys is well there are a lot of nasty names for that. Think..well the tabloids :)

John Yaskowich
07-09-2008, 08:08
Washrooms. There always seems to be a line-up for the Women's washroom but the Men's room has none (or a very short line).

Vercingetorix
07-09-2008, 08:23
Men can act like children and get away with it (sometimes). We expect the women to be the "mature" ones in the relationship.

It's that "Boys will be boys" mentality.

caroln
07-09-2008, 08:51
At work, a guy who is tough gets respect, a woman who is tough is a b*tch, or pms'ing.

Vercingetorix
07-09-2008, 09:19
At work, a guy who is tough gets respect, a woman who is tough is a b*tch, or pms'ing.
She isn't?:smiley36:

navyhmc
07-09-2008, 09:21
I was thinking a set of HP 120's and a 300 bar manifold w/dive rite bands...wrong double standard I guess. :smiley36:

cummings66
07-09-2008, 11:16
Go away for a few days and the guys go to pot. We're talking double standards in the Mens forum, not the womens forum. I mean, what are you thinking? We should be posting things like it's ok for the women to do this and yet not us. Here you guys are saying it's ok for the men and not women, get your heads on straight, think like a man if you can't act like one.:smiley29:

JTMoney
07-09-2008, 11:42
Go away for a few days and the guys go to pot. We're talking double standards in the Mens forum, not the womens forum. I mean, what are you thinking? We should be posting things like it's ok for the women to do this and yet not us. Here you guys are saying it's ok for the men and not women, get your heads on straight, think like a man if you can't act like one.:smiley29:

I'd say focusing on how women have it better than men isn't thinking like a man.:smiley36:

DollFin
07-09-2008, 12:11
It's a BIG TIME double standard in movies. Male actors who might be overweight or otherwise what is not necessarilly considered "physically attractive" can still land great leading rolls, and usually opposite an extremely attractive female star. Females though, are expected to be drop-deal gorgeous and rail-thin, otherwise the best rolls WE can usually land are secondary "character" parts.

MSilvia
07-09-2008, 12:22
Washrooms. There always seems to be a line-up for the Women's washroom but the Men's room has none (or a very short line).
That's probably because a man can go to the restroom without bringing three friends.
:smiley2:

cummings66
07-09-2008, 17:25
Good one.

Sasha_K
07-09-2008, 17:34
Not sure if this one qualifies. Magazines.

Look a the cover.
Cover on mens magazines - good looking girls
Cover on women magazines - good looking girls.

Hm? :-)

Splitlip
07-09-2008, 17:36
Not sure if this one qualifies. Magazines.

Look a the cover.
Cover on mens magazines - good looking girls
Cover on women magazines - good looking girls.

Hm? :-)
:smiley20:
But you are right. Don't know if it qualifies:smiley36:

DollFin
07-10-2008, 15:42
Here's one I just came across - having friends of the opposit sex! Woman can have a dozen "guy pals" who are just that, but will get extremely jealous if a guy they are dating has a "chick pal". (A good friend and dive-buddy of mine just started seeing someone and he said she has already made a couple of jealous remarks about me).

mchain
07-10-2008, 16:19
[quote
That's probably because a man can go to the restroom without bringing three friends.
:smiley2:[/quote]
lol, nice one.

JTMoney
07-10-2008, 17:04
Here's one I just came across - having friends of the opposit sex! Woman can have a dozen "guy pals" who are just that, but will get extremely jealous if a guy they are dating has a "chick pal". (A good friend and dive-buddy of mine just started seeing someone and he said she has already made a couple of jealous remarks about me).

That doesn't work in our favor. :smiley2:

Largo
07-10-2008, 17:51
Chewing tobacco.

A guy can do it and nobody says a thing.

But, if a woman does it, all of a sudden, it's "weird."

DOWNDEEP73
07-10-2008, 20:11
Chewing tobacco.

It is very common to see Gypsy woman chewing snuff in Spiro Oklahoma.

Vercingetorix
07-10-2008, 22:53
Here's one I just came across - having friends of the opposit sex! Woman can have a dozen "guy pals" who are just that, but will get extremely jealous if a guy they are dating has a "chick pal". Amen!!

I can have any number of friends who are guys...no problemo. But, if I have a friend who is a GIRL. My wife thinks the worst thoughts, jealousy being the least. And, gawd forbid, I should mention a woman's name three or more times.

digitalman
07-10-2008, 23:13
Chewing tobacco.

Same goes for cigarettes. Not so much weird as unattractive.

CFDAlden
07-11-2008, 01:20
]Amen!!

I can have any number of friends who are guys...no problemo. But, if I have a friend who is a GIRL. My wife thinks the worst thoughts, jealousy being the least. And, gawd forbid, I should mention a woman's name three or more times.

It all depends on WHAT your doing when you mention the name. :smilie39:

DollFin
07-11-2008, 14:33

ANYONE smoking is unattractive as far as I'm concerned. Yeeeeech!!! (Apologies to you smokers on here!)

MSilvia
07-11-2008, 15:02
Here's one I just came across - having friends of the opposit sex! Woman can have a dozen "guy pals" who are just that, but will get extremely jealous if a guy they are dating has a "chick pal".
I got lucky with that one... shortly after my wife and I started dating, I went on a diving trip/Caribbean cruise with three friends, leaving her at home, and the only one of them who was a guy was NOT my roommate for the cruise.

If she can handle that, I figure I'm pretty well off the hook, jealousy-wise.

cummings66
07-11-2008, 15:18
Smooth, you've got an understanding wife.

jimmysdevoted
07-11-2008, 15:19
men can mess up on a job, miss stuff from work and make mistakes. I make one mistake or incomplete a task because i don't have the materials and i get a warning not to do it again.. even when it wasn't my fault

MSilvia
07-11-2008, 16:34
Smooth, you've got an understanding wife.
That I do.

men can mess up on a job, miss stuff from work and make mistakes.
Maybe in your line of work... in mine, a mistake is a mistake, regardless of who made it.

Splitlip
07-11-2008, 16:58
Dear sweet DollFin. Sorry to tell you, but IMO your friend is right.:)
Guys cannot have chick friends. It has to do with something in our jeans.
I bet the guy does "like" you.

Edit: I meant genes. (oops)

Splitlip
07-11-2008, 17:06
Here's one I just came across - having friends of the opposit sex! Woman can have a dozen "guy pals" who are just that, but will get extremely jealous if a guy they are dating has a "chick pal". Amen!!

If you say a girls name 3 times in a dark room with a mirror illuminated only by a candle..never mind :smiley36:.

Seriously, why on God's green earth would you mention another woman's name more than twice to your wife. Good Lord man, what were you thinking!
We need to talk.

Splitlip
07-11-2008, 17:13
Chewing tobacco.

I disagree.
True if a woman smokes a ciggy like a man, yes.

But some women can make smoking an art form. (of course a different story when you get close enough to smell them.)

Along those lines however. You smell Scotch wiskey on a woman, you think cheap*****.
Women used to tell me on the other hand, they liked the smell of Scotch on a man. (of course, maybe that is because I was drinking it.:smiley36:)

JTMoney
07-11-2008, 19:50
Chewing tobacco.

I disagree.

But some women can make smoking an art form. (of course a different story when you get close enough to smell them.)

Along those lines however. You smell Scotch wiskey on a woman, you think cheap*****.
Women used to tell me on the other hand, they liked the smell of Scotch on a man. (of course, maybe that is because I was drinking it.:smiley36:)

Were these women in a position to make personal gain off of your increased inebriation?:smiley2:

Largo
07-11-2008, 20:00
men can mess up on a job, miss stuff from work and make mistakes. I make one mistake or incomplete a task because i don't have the materials and i get a warning not to do it again.. even when it wasn't my fault

Number of men I have personally seen fired: 9

Number of women I have personally seen fired: 0

Splitlip
07-11-2008, 21:22
Chewing tobacco.

I disagree.

Were these women in a position to make personal gain off of your increased inebriation?:smiley2:

No that you mention it..:smilie39:

I thought it was my charm and personality as well as my good looks at the time.

Eurodiver
07-16-2008, 03:05

Beetlejuice
Beetlejuice
Beetlejuice

Sorry had to do it.

As for the next statement
Chewing tobacco.

THAT is just nasty. Not saying my smoking is any more attractive but chewing it? People in Oklahoma do that? I think I am going to gag.

Once when we lived in Tennessee {not by choice, the Army made us} my husband and brother-in-law go to Wal-Mart for beer. They see a chick with the finest butt in history walking toward the door in daisy dukes, white wife beater and flip flops. They both commented on her butt and then some one called her name she turned around....... She had a dip of Skoal or something pushing her bottom lip out and maybe 5 teeth in her head AND a Dale Earnhart 3 tattoo :finish: that went from shoulder to elbow. Yep killed that mental picture they had. :toilet_claw:

Confucius say
Beauty may only be skin deep
Ugly goes to the bone!

:weirdthread:

oddbod
07-16-2008, 05:08
As for the next statement
Chewing tobacco.
YUK!!
YUK!!
It's still YUK!!
THAT is just nasty. Not saying my smoking That is YUK too! s any more attractive but chewing it? People in Oklahoma do that? I think I am going to gag.

Once when we lived in Tennessee {not by choice, the Army made us} my husband and brother-in-law go to Wal-Mart for beer. They see a chick with the finest butt in history walking toward the door in daisy dukes, white wife beater and flip flops. They both commented on her butt and then some one called her name she turned around....... She had a dip of Skoal or something pushing her bottom lip out and maybe 5 teeth in her head AND a Dale Earnhart 3 tattoo :finish: that went from shoulder to elbow. Yep killed that mental picture they had. :toilet_claw:
That is funny but still YUK!
Confucius say
Beauty may only be skin deep
Ugly goes to the bone!
True!!
:weirdthread::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie 39::smilie39: