PDA

View Full Version : Best wheeled tank carrier?

tonka97
07-09-2008, 07:49
What is the best wheeled doubles tank carrier? The tanks do not have the plastic flat base attachment.

:smiley13:

CompuDude
07-09-2008, 14:03
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImage/75b8bf3d-98f9-46d8-af71-147a1d2a51b2_300.jpg

A small hand truck is all you need.

Image stolen from Home Depot ($25), but I actually like the construction of the $16 dollar one I got from Harbor Freight better. Either work just fine, though.

Edit: Finally found some shots.

Foo2
07-09-2008, 14:05
Don't forget the grand ole' bungees! :D

mike_s
07-09-2008, 14:21
I've got a "heavy duty" wheeled luggage cart. that collapses down to a fold up cart. I can easily put two tanks on it and a dive gear bag and it will handle the weight.

it had bungee's on it for securing the load.

I mean it's a heavy duty one, like what you would use to carry 25" Computer monitors with. it works well.

If I carried them a lot with it, I'd make a wooden curved mold to hold the tanks in place better.

CompuDude
07-09-2008, 16:01
I've got a "heavy duty" wheeled luggage cart. that collapses down to a fold up cart. I can easily put two tanks on it and a dive gear bag and it will handle the weight.

it had bungee's on it for securing the load.

I mean it's a heavy duty one, like what you would use to carry 25" Computer monitors with. it works well.

If I carried them a lot with it, I'd make a wooden curved mold to hold the tanks in place better.

When I'm carrying lots of gear, I go for the bigger hand truck (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96324). The kind that works normally, or you slide the handle out, lay it down on the back wheels, and put it back in like a cart. Handy, but heavier and bulkier to deal with bigger hand truck.

Photo (http://www.sz-wholesale.com/uploadFiles/Hand%20truck_717.jpg)

I've seen some heavy duty folding luggage carts that would be up to the job, but they tend to be fairly expensive. I'd rather have a cheap hand truck most times, so I don't have be concerned about it and can be carefree with it. The little hand trucks I usually use are quite light weight but fully adequate to schlep doubles around. I can lift them into the back of my car still attached to the doubles, and they fit nicely inside even passenger cars.

waytooslow
07-09-2008, 16:18
Is this over kill? have left over from motorcycle racing days, then I can throw my ezup and all gear on as well. :smiley2:

bubbletrubble
07-09-2008, 16:30
Our dive buddies use this one from Lowe's: Folding Hand Truck (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=171232-26675-H003A&lpage=none)

We can fit 2 tanks plus enough weight for 2 divers on ours. I recall the item being about $10 cheaper a couple years ago. Inflation sucks, doesn't it?

The handtruck folds flat and stores easily when not in use. We have learned that it's best to add an axle-like support to prevent the wheels from turning inward while transporting loads. A small piece of the proper diameter copper pipe works quite well. Of course, a couple of bungee cords help the tanks from flying off when we go around turns.

mike_s
07-09-2008, 16:40
I've seen some heavy duty folding luggage carts that would be up to the job, but they tend to be fairly expensive.

that's correct.

The one I use I think was in the $150 range. A little high for my budget for a folding hand cart.

(Luckily one of my previous employers was nice enough to buy it for me. I wouldn't have paid that much for this hand cart).

The nice thing is that is folks up nicely to fit in a vehicle and easy to take with you.

I've found a couple commerically sold "tank carts" that a couple manufacturers make just for diving. but they are kinda high priced, in my opinion. I think this is just due to the low demand in the market for them. divers are cheap in general.

BSea
07-09-2008, 18:07
Our dive buddies use this one from Lowe's: Folding Hand Truck (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=171232-26675-H003A&lpage=none)

We can fit 2 tanks plus enough weight for 2 divers on ours. I recall the item being about $10 cheaper a couple years ago. Inflation sucks, doesn't it?

The handtruck folds flat and stores easily when not in use. We have learned that it's best to add an axle-like support to prevent the wheels from turning inward while transporting loads. A small piece of the proper diameter copper pipe works quite well. Of course, a couple of bungee cords help the tanks from flying off when we go around turns.I have the same thing that I found at harbor freight for $30. I just bungie the tanks on, and I'm ready to go.

CompuDude
07-09-2008, 18:21

The handtruck folds flat and stores easily when not in use. We have learned that it's best to add an axle-like support to prevent the wheels from turning inward while transporting loads. A small piece of the proper diameter copper pipe works quite well. Of course, a couple of bungee cords help the tanks from flying off when we go around turns.

Yeah, I have one of those. Picked it up for about $35 at Lowe's or OSH, as I recall. I think I used it about 3 times before I got fed up with it and bought a proper hand truck. The small hand trucks are still reasonable to store (and transport), but do a MUCH better job of keeping your doubles in place, especially if you're moving around a lot of heavy stuff, too. Also, the folding load trays on the folding ones tend to have this crazy egg-crate texture with sharp edges that would bite into to bottom of my tanks. They just lift heavy loads better, since the wheels are placed farther forward, making the tilt access easier, especially given an axle to brace your foot against, which the folders lack (without having to jury rig a workaround). And no worry about wheels inadvertently folding in, either. I was always worried about collapse with the folders... not a worry with the real hand trucks.

Considering the little hand trucks are about $16 at Harbor Freight, I have one for each set of doubles, and just leave the doubles attached full time. Super simple, and I don't need to worry about storing the hand truck anywhere, since it doesn't really take up more room than the doubles themselves did anyway. (see the second photo attached in my post above to see how small it all is)

texdiveguy
07-09-2008, 18:37
I also use one of the type units Folding Hand Truck (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=171232-26675-H003A&lpage=none) I bought at ACE Hardware and have had it in service for 3 years without a bit of trouble. I tote technical dive gear to and from the house to car---car to dive sites---car to boat---with good results! A full sized hand cart is for most divers going to be way over kill...hard to store and transport. If you need that type cart most charters services will have one for barrow, but honestly the portable units do just as well. Mine came with a handy bungee cord also.

tonka97
07-09-2008, 18:53
Great responses; appreciate the photos!

Thank you!

oddbod
07-10-2008, 07:14
I also use one of the type units Folding Hand Truck (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=171232-26675-H003A&lpage=none) I bought at ACE Hardware and have had it in service for 3 years without a bit of trouble. I tote technical dive gear to and from the house to car---car to dive sites---car to boat---with good results! A full sized hand cart is for most divers going to be way over kill...hard to store and transport. If you need that type cart most charters services will have one for barrow, but honestly the portable units do just as well. Mine came with a handy bungee cord also.
I graduated to one of these, used to use a normal hand truck and found BC got caught in wheels if transported set up, with the wheels behind like these problem solved also folds up so much easier to pack.
Edit; Also comes in handy when on a driving holiday carrying the wifes luggage back and forth.

Souvy
07-10-2008, 12:26
I use something identical to the texdiveguy posted and I love it. That with a couple of bungies and you're set. What's great is that it doesn't take up room in the car/apartment since it folds up flat and the handle retracts.