PDA

View Full Version : Sacandaga Lake NY Dive There??? Info needed

macheezmo37
07-11-2008, 06:33
hello
i have been hearing stories about towns under water in Sacandaga lake in the new york area and i am trying to find out any kind of information.
i have 2 friends that have houses on them and i now have access to dive the lake. I would like to hear from anyone with info and especially someone who has dove there. I am also looking for any kind of literature that could show me where to start diving to find the old towns under water.
Please help me out if you can

macheezmo37

Joe L
07-13-2008, 18:27
Actually there are 2 upstate Sacandaga's and your talking about Sacandaga Reservoir. The do call it the "Great Sacandada Lake" and it is a fantastic area.

"As early as the 1800's discussions of building a dam took place, but were dismissed as technologically impossible. The Great Sacandaga River flooded every spring and damaged many communities downstream. Despite the flooding problems in the Spring, the river would dry up in the summer shutting down mills and factories and creating health hazards. But by the late 1800's there were possibilities and the idea of the dam was proposed. Thus the Conklingville Dam was begun in the 1920's. The cost of the dam would be $12,000,000.00. No tax dollars were used, It was paid for by the businesses benefiting from the flood protection!

This was no easy task. This was the biggest reservoir in the area ever to be built. Farms, wood lots and entire communities would be replaced by 283 billion gallons of water! Fifty miles of new roads needed to be constructed, and 10 new bridges needed to be built, 12,000 homes had to be moved or destroyed; 3,872 people from 22 different cemeteries had to be trans-buried."

character157
07-15-2008, 18:41
I have heard that the Conklinville Dam is a good dive..****mor of some Norther Pike around 5 ft long. As far as the town goes I have never heard of actual buildings still existing.

Joe L
07-16-2008, 07:51
I have heard that the Conklinville Dam is a good dive..****mor of some Norther Pike around 5 ft long. As far as the town goes I have never heard of actual buildings still existing.

I believe buildings no longer exist but, the would be cool if they did..

matt151617
07-24-2008, 23:05
I talked to someone about this. Apparently, everything was either torn town or burned before the area was flooded. Foundations used to be visible, but even those are gone now. So sorry, it wouldn't be worth diving.