PDA

View Full Version : ST Forum very sluggish at times

mike_s
08-09-2007, 13:56
I've noticed that at times, ST forum is very sluggish. especially when trying to open threads.

In fact, I had to try about 5 times to get this new thread opened.

I don't think it's my internet connection or computer because Scubaboard, DecoStop, etc are all running at normal speed without any sluggish behavior...

anyone else seeing this?

dallasdivergirl
08-09-2007, 14:02
I have had issues too. I mean with the st forum not just my normal issues.

YellowfinKunkfish
08-09-2007, 14:05
I've been having problems today too. Threads will either lock up, or they just won't open.

WV Diver
08-09-2007, 14:14
I have had issues too. I mean with the st forum not just my normal issues.
:smilie39::smilie39: Ditto.

Centerius
08-09-2007, 15:11
Hrm, I haven't had any problems at all.

mwhities
08-09-2007, 15:13
I've noticed that at times, ST forum is very sluggish. especially when trying to open threads.

In fact, I had to try about 5 times to get this new thread opened.

I don't think it's my internet connection or computer because Scubaboard, DecoStop, etc are all running at normal speed without any sluggish behavior...

anyone else seeing this?

Must be an Alabama thing.

Michael

Harshal
08-09-2007, 15:18
I guess now Scubaboard people must be trying to hack Larry’s server. After all things he did………..lol ;)

mike_s
08-09-2007, 15:27
Must be an Alabama thing.

Michael

At least that's one good thing about Mississippi.... It keeps us off the bottom of the list in almost every category :D

creggur
08-09-2007, 15:27
I thought it was just my computer...I'm sure they'll get it fixed...

DivingsInMyBlood
08-09-2007, 20:09
ive had no probs yet

ScubaToys Larry
08-09-2007, 20:15
I've been going back and forth from sb to st, and finding their searches and posts going slower than ours... so I don't know... temp hiccups maybe.

We are doing some more upgrades next week, swapping over to redhat instead of windows for the server - so we will be moving some things around, but luckily Tommy has about a gillion servers, and a lot of experience with this, and he's going to help us get this all sorted out and optimized in the next few weeks.

Seems to be going good now - but we plan on continuing to try to keep making it better and better as we go!

NitroWill
08-09-2007, 20:23
Forum runs pretty fast and smooth for me, Ive seen an occasional hiccup one refresh out of a hundred or so..no big deal

frankc420
08-09-2007, 21:00
Windows? That's the problem.

I've noticed the slow pulls too, but I don't pay it much attention as I know it will come up eventually. Not the case for that other board!

TommyB
08-09-2007, 21:23
I think something is going on with the network in general.
Not just scubatoys, but a lot of sites that are hosted across the globe.

Some sites that I visit everyday are also slow / sluggish.

Wondering if one of the major backbone providers is having some issue?

TxHockeyGuy
08-10-2007, 11:25
Windows? That's the problem.

I've noticed the slow pulls too, but I don't pay it much attention as I know it will come up eventually. Not the case for that other board!

I've always found better performance for web/database products under linux than windows given the same hardware. Then again my experience is limited to mysql under both and I don't know what the back end for this site is. In fact I just decommissioned a windows box that was running our corporate website and moved it all over to linux, much better performance.

cummings66
08-10-2007, 23:45
Windows does fine, for short periods of time. Anything lengthy and it seems it gets slower and slower until a reboot happens. I've never had a real issue with Linux in general, or Solaris for that matter. Been a long time and I kind of hated Solaris in comparison.

In this case I have noticed slower times, and then I check other sites and it's plenty fast. I suspect a Windows issue.

ScubaToys Larry
08-10-2007, 23:55
We are switching over to unix over the next week... we'll try to make it seamless for everyone - and hopefully that helps!

TommyB
08-11-2007, 00:12
Just got a post from Enom- www.enom.com (http://www.enom.com)
that enom is having (was) having issues with their DNS. Any dns that is hosted with ENOM.

They are the worlds 2nd largest domain provider, so a ton of sites were affected by this outage.

With more than 6.8 million domain names under management, the combined company is now the second-largest registrar in the world, surpassing Network Solutions®, according to Name Intelligence®.
http://www.enom.com/inthenews.asp?pr=060726bulkregister&mc=no

Anyway, according to the email I got from their tech support, most if not all the dns issues with the domains they host should be correct..

Tommy //

ps -
if you like stats heres a good read
http://www.enom.com/statistics.asp

mike_s
08-11-2007, 08:52
We are switching over to unix over the next week... we'll try to make it seamless for everyone - and hopefully that helps!

make sure you set mwhities uid to -1 and his shell to /dev/null

(unix nerd humor)

mike_s
08-16-2007, 11:00
ST Forum seeming sluggish for anyone else right about now? when opening threads for reading?

NitroWill
08-16-2007, 11:14
Nope, pretty quick for me....

TxHockeyGuy
08-16-2007, 11:36
Nope, pretty quick for me....

Same here.

mike_s
08-16-2007, 11:47
It is quick again for me now... seems to intermidant.

mwhities
08-16-2007, 11:55

I think your problem is all those tanks you have are interfering with your Internet connection some way. :)

Michael

mike_s
08-16-2007, 11:59

I think your problem is all those tanks you have are interfering with your Internet connection some way. :)

Michael

You can never have enough tanks !

(Mwhities, can't believe you didn't read post #19 )

mwhities
08-16-2007, 12:01
You can never have enough tanks !

(Mwhities, can't believe you didn't read post #19 )

Sorry, it was on the previous page, I'll go look now.

Michael

mwhities
08-16-2007, 12:04

(unix nerd humor)

*gasps*

cd /lds/scubatoys/forums/users/m/ && rm -rf mike_s 2>/dev/null

Michael

mike_s
08-16-2007, 12:22

(unix nerd humor)

*gasps*

cd /lds/scubatoys/forums/users/m/ && rm -rf mike_s 2>/dev/null

Michael

find / -user mwhities -exec chmod 000 {} \;

mwhities
08-16-2007, 13:05
find / -user mwhities -exec chmod 000 {} \;

I HAVE NO ACCESS TO MY OWN FILES!$!#@!%#@#@

hahah

That's mean too. ;)

Michael

NitroWill
08-16-2007, 15:45
nerds...:smiley23:

mwhities
08-16-2007, 16:15

Jealous. ;)

Michael

NitroWill
08-16-2007, 16:28
Actually no, I understood perfectly what yall said..I havent used a Windows machine as my personal system since i was 15..*Nix used to be my primary os - until I got my macbook :)

mike_s
08-16-2007, 17:06

Damn right!

frankc420
08-18-2007, 09:35
Actually no, I understood perfectly what yall said..I havent used a Windows machine as my personal system since i was 15..*Nix used to be my primary os - until I got my macbook :)

Your still running *nix then :smiley20:

NitroWill
08-18-2007, 09:58

Your still running *nix then :smiley20:

Don't tell some hardcore nix freaks that - theyd argue otherwise :smiley36:

FyVe
08-27-2007, 19:31
site does get a tad bit slugish now and then, but i think the wireless at the house is acting up.
we have to set up the new modem that we were given when we switchd to 6mb DSL (and was told our modem can't handle it, 3 months later???) now they gave us a new one and it wont cooperate with the router, only when to 1 pc wired? any techies out there know whats going on?

TommyB
08-27-2007, 20:58
Sometime next week after the holidays I will be switching it over to linux.

Black-Gorrilla
08-27-2007, 21:12
will that be one of those "6 hour" site maintenance downtimes? or is it in the background while the rest runs along?

mike_s
08-27-2007, 21:15
Sometime next week after the holidays I will be switching it over to linux.

so curriosity got the best of me to see what you're running now....

Microsoft-IIS/6.0 <--- Yuck.... now I know why it's sluggish.

TommyB
08-27-2007, 21:41
will that be one of those "6 hour" site maintenance downtimes? or is it in the background while the rest runs along?

You'll never even notice I switched it :)
well, it will take a bit for the redirect to work--

Plan is to format this winbloz box, install Redhat Enterprise Linux v5 on this one.
Re-direct the users to a temp domain.
etc-- etc

But you get the drift I think..
Temp Domain is in place and working already, so it's just a matter of
closing this forum, mysql dump the database, import into new DB
and redirect to the temp domain.
(export to import only takes me about 20 mins tops if that).
Should be pretty painless, and no post lost, etc.

Tommy //

mike_s
08-27-2007, 22:59

Plan is to format this winbloz box, install Redhat Enterprise Linux v5 on this one.
etc-- etc

Tommy //

the folks over at Scubaboard could use a little help with that concept :smilie39:

actually, though I work unix problems everyday, I hate doing dbase issues, reqardless of the dbase. we're stuck with sybase and orcl at work though. (at least on the stuff we do).

kevinj1
08-27-2007, 23:34

etc-- etc

Tommy //

the folks over at Scubaboard could use a little help with that concept :smilie39:

actually, though I work unix problems everyday, I hate doing dbase issues, reqardless of the dbase. we're stuck with sybase and orcl at work though. (at least on the stuff we do).

I DONT KNOW WHAT THE HELL THIS GUY JUST SAID-LOL.

mike_s
08-28-2007, 08:39

etc-- etc

Tommy //

I DONT KNOW WHAT THE HELL THIS GUY JUST SAID-LOL.

heh... to find out, you could follow the directions in ntburchf's signature

if ( $clue == \'none\' ) { read ( sig & avatar rules | forum rules ) && search ( forums | google ) }
if ( $answer == 0 ){ post->question }

:)

Black-Gorrilla
08-28-2007, 18:28
what is it?

if you are clueless and can't read this sig... something about the linux pinguin in the avitar, and search google, if the answer = god knows what, post the question?

NitroWill
09-19-2007, 19:15
ughhhh....siiiiiteeee.......sooooooo......slowwwww wwww

chinacat46
09-19-2007, 20:20
I feel the pain at times myself.

crpntr133
09-19-2007, 22:22
OK so there seems to still be an issue..and the issue that I am referring to isn't me this time.

WaScubaDude
09-19-2007, 23:27
I am sooo glad it is not just me. Try to post and wait wait wait.

NitroWill
09-22-2007, 00:27
sllllowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

ScubaToys Larry
09-22-2007, 03:46
The darn windows will get memory hung now and then.... We should be swapped over to unix this week which will stop that. Now we have to go through a reset every now and then... but by the end of this week, this occasional slow down should be gone.

dburg30
09-22-2007, 04:04
From using vbulletin on a couple of sites I run, coupled with being a visitor to a lot of them, almost everyboard I go to, will have issues from time to time. It doesnt matter what time of day or how high of traffic it is. I honestly think it sometimes has to do with something VB is doing behind the scenes. Reason I say VB is that one of my sites VB can be very slow, but the non VB part is still cruising along, and it's on the same system / same drive etc.

crpntr133
09-22-2007, 14:10
I found a work around for the click to reply to post and wait, wait, wait. Wait a few seconds and then click "post quick reply" again. It will usually post right way. Don't know why it does it but it happened several times to me last night.

wxboy911
09-22-2007, 15:06
Every once in awhile the page seems to lock up-I just close the browser and start again and that seems to work.