PDA

View Full Version : Q: For Joe and Larry

Largo
07-11-2008, 19:51
Why don't local dive shops sell at ST prices?

I was thinking that, if I ever opened a dive shop, I would sell at ST prices, and make my $ on training, air, and other stuff.

Joe and Larry are not Wal-Mart, just two guys trying to sell gear at an honest price.

Is it poor accounting skills on the part of the LDS?

FishFood
07-11-2008, 19:55
Training and air doesn't make money. Well, not enough to keep a shop open anyhow. I don't know how much "other things" make :smilie39:

Largo
07-11-2008, 20:08
You don't know what "other" means?

Beer, massages, bait fish, cigars, movie rentals, limo service, pool cleaning, lawn service...

I'm talking full-service dive shop.

FishFood
07-11-2008, 20:12
Hmmm. I see franchise oppurtunities :)

ScubaToys Larry
07-11-2008, 20:16
Hmmm... massages and cigars... Maybe we'll add another few thousand feet to the new building design. :smiley14:

Largo
07-11-2008, 20:26
When I was in college, I worked at Wal-Mart.I used to follow the manager around, hoping to soak up some business acumen.Once in a while, he would throw me a bone.He asked me, "Largo, what department brings in the most profits? Harrumph Harrumph Harrumph?"I answer, "Electronics?"He'd slap me on the back and say, "Oh great Methuselah's Ghost no! We make our greatest profit on Wrigley's Gum, at the check out. All of the Flat panel TV's and discount tires are all there to get people to come in, look around, and buy a package of gum...and some bacon for tomorrow...and a new notebook for Cindy Lou...and some Ol' Roy Dog Food for Elvis..."

ScubaToys Larry
07-11-2008, 20:40
(note to self... tell Joe to buy Gum and dog food....)

Largo
07-11-2008, 20:46
I just wonder what separates a successful business from a failure. So far, I've come up with: 1. Sell at the lowest reasonable price. 2. Make customers feel good.

unclepooty
07-11-2008, 20:54
Ol' Roy?................now I know Elvis is dead!

ScubaToys Larry
07-11-2008, 21:04
I just wonder what separates a successful business from a failure. So far, I've come up with: 1. Sell at the lowest reasonable price. 2. Make customers feel good.

I'd say at best you have those reversed. And number 2 is very broad....

Treat customers with respect. Care about their needs and desires more than what item you get the most profit on. Communicate as fast as humanly possible. Admit mistakes and correct them as fast as you can and in a way that makes the customer feel good about the situation. Try to limit the number of those mistakes. Offer a community feeling - that the people are not numbers - not "just another customer". Empower employees to take care of things - don't over micro manage. Have employees that feel it's "their shop" and not just a job. Listen, listen, listen to what people are saying - what they dream about - what new stuff they would like to see or learn about. Develop strong relationships with vendors that realize your focus is customer service, and you demand the same from them.

And probably lastly - try to offer a fair price for your services and products.

fisheater
07-11-2008, 21:13

I'd say at best you have those reversed. And number 2 is very broad....

Treat customers with respect. Care about their needs and desires more than what item you get the most profit on. Communicate as fast as humanly possible. Admit mistakes and correct them as fast as you can and in a way that makes the customer feel good about the situation. Try to limit the number of those mistakes. Offer a community feeling - that the people are not numbers - not "just another customer". Empower employees to take care of things - don't over micro manage. Have employees that feel it's "their shop" and not just a job. Listen, listen, listen to what people are saying - what they dream about - what new stuff they would like to see or learn about. Develop strong relationships with vendors that realize your focus is customer service, and you demand the same from them.

And probably lastly - try to offer a fair price for your services and products.

We all thank God that you're a heretic.

If this were orthodoxy, everyone would be doing it.

Splitlip
07-11-2008, 21:50
Well, I would not call larry and Joe "just two guys trying to sell gear at an honest price" anymore. Have you read about Scubatoys in the business publications?
Most of the Mom and Pops just can't do it. And I would not call Joe and Larry Mom and Pop (not that there is anything wrong with that).
I don't play games with my local shops. They know exactly what ST and even LP is selling a product for. They do the best they can without me pulling something from the web.
Now I love ST, but I buy from them what I cannot get locally.