PDA

View Full Version : Gilboa this weekend anyone?

mselizann
07-14-2008, 07:27
Hubby and I are going to Gilboa this weekend- we'll be there Friday night through Monday morning with the Misfit Divers..........anyone else planning a dive there?

gilboadiver
07-14-2008, 11:10
Yea I will be there on the same days, Oh wait I am your hubby

navyhmc
07-14-2008, 11:49
Hubby and I are going to Gilboa this weekend- we'll be there Friday night through Monday morning with the Misfit Divers..........anyone else planning a dive there?

Yea I will be there on the same days, Oh wait I am your hubby

OKAY!!!! Stop running up each others post count!!!!!:smilie39:

Have fun at Gilboa. My buddy used to go up there all the time and raves about it. Hopefully someday we may make a trip that way, but right now it's a bit far to go on a weekend: about 900 miles or $450 for gas alone. That sucks!!!!

K9Pig
07-14-2008, 16:20
I will be there tomorrow and Wednesday. I will have my 14yo daughter. I have never been there, and only learned about Gilboa yesterday. Must be all the mud in my ears/eyes from 0 vis days in the central Midwest quarries. Any tips for Gilboa mselizann and gilboadiver??????

Thanks.....

mselizann
07-14-2008, 16:34
oh yeah! when you register at the desk they should be able to let you see a map of the quarry. Almost everything is connected by lines...so that's easy. The tubes are COLD- but do them if you have decent suits
FYI- If you intend to do any kind of deep dive, you must register a dive plan with the shop

have fun!

K9Pig
07-14-2008, 19:15
My daughter is only Jr OW Cert for now, so the rec limit of 60' will be good.

She wants to see both aircraft. She takes after me...:smiley20: Flying and diving are almost everything to us. :smiley2:

There are a couple of other things that are a little more important... The WIFE and LITTLE brother..:smiley31::smiley36:

snagel
07-15-2008, 05:59
Sounds like a fun time. I've never been to Gilboa, hope to some time. I have a brother that lives in Northern Ohio and maybe I can sneak a trip in some time.

BTW, not meaning to intrude, but please post a conditions report at Scuba Steves' Midwest Diving Reports (http://www.midwestmuckdiving.com) when you get back.

Have fun,

Snagel

violakat03
07-15-2008, 07:12
Go down to the top of the school bus and bang your fist on it a couple times. Oh, and cover your ears if you don't have any fish food when you do this cause the fish will nibble on them. ;) My instructor was laughing his butt off when I clapped my hands over my ears cause he knew exactly why! If you have fish food, release it and move FAST, and hold on to your mask or it might get smacked off.

I was there this past weekend, got to see the airplane and helicopter for the first time - last time I was up there, I couldn't get my ears to clear. Be very careful in the helicopter - my DB got his fins stuck in the entrance and had to be pulled out. I wouldn't recommend going inside, especially with a 14 year old.

I also recommend wearing gloves, even if it's warm enough not to (I didn't have a hood on, it was pretty nice down to about 30'). That way you can touch things without getting your hands nasty or cut up. I just had some 2mm gloves on and it made all the difference in the world, cause I was playing with the rudder on the plane's tail.

Alas, I missed you all by a week. I'm going to be at Natural Springs this weekend with the local club, finishing up my fourth specialty and getting a couple more dives in towards my AOW cert.

mselizann
07-15-2008, 07:27
Good luck! I actually did my AOW at Gilboa.......

violakat03
07-15-2008, 07:40
Good luck! I actually did my AOW at Gilboa.......

I did 3 of my 4 specialties this past weekend there. Wreck (did the airplane), equipment and Nitrox. I'm doing navigation at NSR - I'm a little scared though, my instructor said it's easier for him to get me lost there because there's no points of reference like there are at Gilboa, and I'm really bad at navigation!

K9Pig
07-15-2008, 22:52
Everything went well today. The temp at 35' was 60 degrees and vis was 50-60' depending on what side of the helicopter you were on. My daughter had a blast, and didn't get cold. :smiley20:

We will be there tomorrow too. I'm not sure if 'll try the bus slap...

violakat03
07-15-2008, 22:59
Everything went well today. The temp at 35' was 60 degrees and vis was 50-60' depending on what side of the helicopter you were on. My daughter had a blast, and didn't get cold. :smiley20:

DOOOO IT!!!

Go to scubadivingtube.com and search for Gilboa .. there's a couple videos of feeding the 'overzealous fish' on top of the bus.

navyhmc
07-16-2008, 03:15
One question and this would probably go better in the "What's the worst thing you can do to your buddy" category. What happens if you bang the top of the bus, leave your buddy to fend for themselves and quickly slip into the but? :D

violakat03
07-16-2008, 07:51
I'd say probably something like this. :D I was doing like the 'friend' is doing ... thrashing and trying to get away!

Scuba Diving Videos Don't eat me! Scuba Videos (http://www.scubadivingtube.com/play.php?vid=244)

mselizann
07-16-2008, 08:17
50-60- awesome! I'll wear my semi-dry and be fine

K9Pig
07-17-2008, 00:01

DOOOO IT!!!

Go to scubadivingtube.com and search for Gilboa .. there's a couple videos of feeding the 'overzealous fish' on top of the bus.

I did it, and my daughter thought it was the greatest thing...:smiley20:

It happen two more times. She couldn't get enough. As for me, I got tired of the little B**tards following me around like a lost puppies. Well worth it though.

BuzzF117
08-03-2008, 16:32
Was at Gilboa Today Sunday Aug 3rd and had a blast. We weren't out to accomplish anything just have some fun. While my dive buddy mapped the sailboat to finish up his wreck specialty I sat on the airplane wing and watched him then we just cruised around. Started to head down to the tubes but I didn't have a hood so we stopped since I had an ice cream headache. Wanna have some fun bang on the inside of the bus when your buddy is above it that way you don't have to deal with the fish but be careful you may put your fist through the metal.