PDA

View Full Version : Scuba Industry

JCAT
08-09-2007, 18:05
Here's a question I've been thinking about for awhile.

Do the current dive agencies (Padi, Naui, ect.) actively promote growth?

Is the diving community growing, shrinking, or stable?

What are your opinions and thoughts..

WV Diver
08-09-2007, 18:09
Yes, and it is growing in leaps and bounds. It's turning into a yuppie thing to do. Good for the industry but sometimes I want the dive site to myself.......nowhatImean.

thor
08-09-2007, 18:19
Yes, and it is growing in leaps and bounds. It's turning into a yuppie thing to do. Good for the industry but sometimes I want the dive site to myself.......nowhatImean.

Well la de da. I think I wil just get into my Beemer and leave your stinking dive site, never to return.

It's definitely growing. More hotels allow free diving as part of the all inclusive, more flights to places like Bonaire, more sporting stores now carrying scuba gear. Not sure if its due to the agencies though.

JugglingMonkeys
08-09-2007, 18:31
perhaps it's due to more people simply discovering the great joy of diving!

I'm now diving - not due to any agency or advertising.
I just happened into it and now love it and actively promote it to others!

not a yuppie though - too poor for a beemer! I drive a humble honda.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-09-2007, 19:40
Seems like more people with money coming out of their butts have started diving.

MEL-DC Diver
08-09-2007, 19:50
I reckon that for every 10 divers they produce there will be 8 sets of gear up for sale on Ebay within 2 years.

brandon
08-09-2007, 21:00
On a recent dive trip, only two of the 10 different divers I dove with were regular divers - the rest dove only on vacation once or twice a year.

I imagine that's fairly representative - 20% of divers are active year-round divers, the rest dive occassionally on vacation.

I'd wager the vacation diving market is going to continue to grow rapidly...

-B.

reservecops
08-09-2007, 21:13
The good thing is, if the vast majority of them buy a bunch of gear and rarely dive (or quit), that just means that places that sell SCUBA gear are moving more product volume, which means lower prices for us!

cummings66
08-09-2007, 22:12
You'd think so huh?

ertechsg
08-09-2007, 22:27
So WHY does it cast so much more to dive in the states compared to somewhere else. I was looking at going to Pensacola to dive the O and it is $145 standard for 2 tanks.

nferra2
08-09-2007, 22:37
The "O" is expensive becuase of the long boat ride out to the dive site. You can do a 2 tank dive out of Pensacola for as little as $70. The O is about 30 miles off shore if I remember correctly.

JCAT
08-10-2007, 08:03
I tend to agree with MEL-DC Diver and Brandon. Although I canít back up my perception with hard evidence, I believe that the industry as a whole, is currently stable but leaning toward stagnation.

Many get certified for numerous reasons, only to dive once a year or never again. Another group, although smaller, will dive frequently for many years, vacation or not. Of course, this does leave more room on the dive site and more used equipment on eBay.

About once a month, (insert x agency) will send me offers to join their organization for x amount of money. I simply rip the offers up and deposit them into the trash. One of the first reasons, is that I do not see (insert x agency) doing anything to promote scuba to the general public. I have yet to see any television commercial advertising scuba training or gear, or hear any radio ones for that matter.

it's interesting to think about.

BSea
08-10-2007, 08:16
I tend to agree with MEL-DC Diver and Brandon. Although I canít back up my perception with hard evidence, I believe that the industry as a whole, is currently stable but leaning toward stagnation.

Many get certified for numerous reasons, only to dive once a year or never again. Another group, although smaller, will dive frequently for many years, vacation or not. Of course, this does leave more room on the dive site and more used equipment on eBay.

About once a month, (insert x agency) will send me offers to join their organization for x amount of money. I simply rip the offers up and deposit them into the trash. One of the first reasons, is that I do not see (insert x agency) doing anything to promote scuba to the general public. I have yet to see any television commercial advertising scuba training or gear, or hear any radio ones for that matter.

I agree. I asked my LDS Owner this question about a year ago, and he said that the industry isn't growing anywhere near what it was. If anything it's been pretty flat as far as growth. He also talked about that most people that take classes do so for an upcoming vacation. They buy complete sets of gear, and either make a few warm up dives each year before they go on another vacation, or they come in 3 or 4 years later to take a refresher get their gear serviced, and go on another dive vacation.

He didn't give a number, but from what I've seen, there might be 10 t0 20 new regular divers emerge each summer. But those are just the ones I've noticed. I'm sure that number is low since I don't work there, I just go by & hang out.

davepoff
12-22-2007, 21:00
I think that it might be slightly stagnant depending on where you are at. If you are somewhere diving is the mainstream then it probably is good, but if you are somewhere that it is not so popular I think it is slowing. A lot has to deal with the price. I have known many people that have been interested but when they were told the price of how much the class would be they went to find another hobby.

teog
12-22-2007, 21:03
As mentioned I think many people learn to dive for an upcoming vacation or honeymoon. After the vacation or honeymoon the equipment goes into the closet or sold.

Flatliner
12-22-2007, 21:27
I have yet to see any television commercial advertising scuba training or gear, or hear any radio ones for that matter.

The problem I see is that many shops, like many churches seem to take the position that there are only x number of divers/christians out there so we need to do everything possible to get them to our shop/church. Instead of winning the 90% who don't dive/believe, the energy is spent on the 10% that do.

An industry push by all of the agencys working together to get NEW people into the sport would be a really great idea.

CaptainRon
12-22-2007, 23:19
When I first learned to dive 28 years ago, equipment was mush more expensive relatively speaking than it is today. I think it is more affordable now than it used to be.

Zenagirl
12-23-2007, 06:19
I run into a lot of people who say they are "divers", but then later it's obvious they haven't dove in a long time, or got certified and did less than 10 dives ever. But they still call themselves "divers".

My brother is one of these people.