PDA

View Full Version : Twin tanks on Brigade?

zahgurim
07-15-2008, 09:43
I'm looking to do a Nitrox course ASAP.

I know my Brigade is good for twin tanks, and I'm curious about utilizing the capability for twins to extend my non-deco bottom time while running Nitrox.

What gear bits would I need to make the changeover? Longer straps?
I know about the grommet holes for mounting, but do the twin tanks come setup ready to install, with no extra hardwear needed? Need some sort of plate between the mounts?
Is the stock 35lb bladder/wing sufficient for twin alu's? I'm thinking they would be rental alu 19s. I don't have my own tanks, and won't buy any until my return to Canada. Too much of a PITA to cart tanks around while in Asia...

Thanks!

MSilvia
07-15-2008, 10:04
In my opinion, the wing on the brigade is too small for doubles. Even if it had adequate capacity, it's the wrong shape. Someone else will be able to give you a better answer regarding how feasible it would be to mount the tanks on that harness in the first place. Generally, you'll want something rigid to mount doubles to.

BoomerNJ
07-15-2008, 12:12
Hey Zag,

It can be done, check out this link (http://www.zeagle.com/index.php?submenu=Accessories&src=gendocs&link=Twin_Instructions) to zeagle's web site for how to do it... MSilvia is right about the bladder though, you will need to change it out for one that accommodates doubles, meaning shape & lift capacity...

C

ScubaToys Larry
07-15-2008, 13:01
Another option might be just go with a bigger single tank - like a 130... That should give you a whole lot of bottom time for recreational diving!

Aussie
07-15-2008, 13:19
Another option might be just go with a bigger single tank - like a 130... That should give you a whole lot of bottom time for recreational diving!

I second larrys post.

Your looking at buying a cylinder when you get back home. Buy something more suitable for you. A larger steel single would be a very streamlined match for your Brigade.

If your looking at doubles then you have the cost in an extra reg, extra cylinder, manifold for the doubles, and larger wing (cause that 35lbs wing wont cut it on doubles).

The larger single cylinder would be a more general purpose all rounder so to speak and easier on the back pocket.

If your still keen on doubles look at a backplate with a decent wing.

Aussie

zahgurim
07-16-2008, 20:37
Thanks for the info!

I'm thinking I'd eventually like to get into the tech side of things, and eventually have a plate/double/stage setup. Cost of buying the needed double bits now, that I can later swap over to a propper backplate setup isn't a deterent...and I can always swap parts back and forth on the Brigade between single/double setup depending on where/what I'm diving.

Good to know I have other options for now, though, for just playing w/ Nitrox, but am unsure if I can even rent a larger steel tank from my LDS here... will talk with them and check, and see what's best both short and longterm.

crpntr133
07-18-2008, 13:23
I wouldn't do it for the above reasons, especially the lift. I own a Brigade and by no means would even attempt to dive doubles with it. Hate to say it but a BP/W is the only way to go if you ask me. Do it right the first time and be done with it.

Watch ebay, I bought a Ranger on there for $125. Took the wing off and use it on my plate.

I also think Larry has the right idea.