PDA

View Full Version : Wife Claims I Don't Pay Sufficient Attention

Vercingetorix
07-15-2008, 20:20
My wife says I don't pay enough attention to her. She went so far as to say that the only way to get my attention would be to post an avatar and start a thread on this forum addressed to me.

I think her assessment is quite unfair. So, I suggested that she initiate a thread to discuss.

She gave me The Look

Once GMS Compudude weigh-in, the matter will be settled. Given that SplitLip is a bon vivant and man-about-town, I value that assessment as well.

Gentlemen?

Martin2
07-15-2008, 20:23
Oh, this should be so much fun!

Navy OnStar
07-15-2008, 20:28
My wife is on the forum and I still ignore her threads!:smilie39::smilie39:

oddbod
07-15-2008, 20:33
My wife says I don't pay enough attention to her. She went so far as to say that the only way to get my attention would be to post an avatar and start a thread on this forum addressed to me.

I think her assessment is quite unfair. So, I suggested that she initiate a thread to discuss.

She gave me The Look

Once GMS Compudude weigh-in, the matter will be settled. Given that SplitLip is a bon vivant and man-about-town, I value that assessment as well.

Gentlemen?
Must be a female thing, mine said the same:smilie40:

Rileybri
07-15-2008, 20:39
In my experience, nothing says I love you like the little blue box (http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/CategoryBrowse.aspx?mcat=148204&cid=287458&search_params=s+5-p+1-c+287458-r+101323351-x+-n+12-ri+-ni+1-t+)!!!!! Good luck and remember the wise words of my father in his speech at my wedding,"When you are right you are wrong! When you are wrong you are wrong. if you think you need to buy her flowers you probably do! Get flowers any way!

good luck!

:smilie40::smilie40::smilie40:

BTD

mocepts
07-15-2008, 20:40
Yeh, my wife said something like that to me once. It went something like "You don't ever blah, blah blah", I can't remember the rest. I really wasn't paying attention.

Vercingetorix
07-15-2008, 20:44
Oh, this should be so much fun!What???...a GIRL dares to invade our clubhouse?

http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/files/1/4/6/header.jpg

just kidding..or am I?

Yeh, my wife said something like that to me once. It went something like "You don't ever blah, blah blah", I can't remember the rest. I really wasn't paying attention.If she sees that, you are in so much deep, deep sh*t...

And, now that I've quoted it, you can't disclaim it, even if you delete your post. I can be bought, though

Martin2
07-15-2008, 20:50

just kidding..or am I?

Yeh, my wife said something like that to me once. It went something like "You don't ever blah, blah blah", I can't remember the rest. I really wasn't paying attention.If she sees that, you are in so much deep, deep sh*t...

And, now that I've quoted it, you can't disclaim it, even if you delete your post. I can be bought, though

Uh huh.

How many of you responded to the bra thread?

Navy OnStar
07-15-2008, 21:04
Uh huh.

There's a bra thread and I missed it?????

BRB

:smiley2:

oddbod
07-15-2008, 21:27

just kidding..or am I?

Uh huh.

What Bra thread? :smiley2::smilie40:

oddbod
07-15-2008, 21:32
In my experience, nothing says I love you like the little blue box (http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/CategoryBrowse.aspx?mcat=148204&cid=287458&search_params=s+5-p+1-c+287458-r+101323351-x+-n+12-ri+-ni+1-t+)!!!!! Good luck and remember the wise words of my father in his speech at my wedding,"When you are right you are wrong! When you are wrong you are wrong. if you think you need to buy her flowers you probably do! Get flowers any way!

good luck!

:smilie40::smilie40::smilie40:

BTD
Those blue boxes must be great, just had a rep in yesterday from China, he showed me the same bracelet Tiffany & Co. | Item | Tiffany Somersetâ„¢ bracelet, wide. Diamonds, sterling silver. | United States (http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?sku=22735381&mcat=148204&cid=287458&search_params=s+5-p+1-c+287458-r+101323351-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+)
for about $US128 wholesale.

K9Pig
07-15-2008, 22:07

just kidding..or am I?

Uh huh.

I believe it was in the same forum as the Implants discussion...:smilie39:

I'm diving at Gilboa Quarry for a couple of days, and I just heard that very same statement from my wife... The flowers will be delivered to her work in the am...:smiley20:

Splitlip
07-15-2008, 22:43

just kidding..or am I?

Uh huh.

I believe it was in the same forum as the Implants discussion...:smilie39:

I'm diving at Gilboa Quarry for a couple of days, and I just heard that very same statement from my wife... The flowers will be delivered to her work in the am...:smiley20:

That is a sign of weakness man. Don't want to go through life (or next boy's night out) having people calling you an "Alfalfa".
http://www.4alfalfa.com/ImagesMain/Commentary/photothumps01.jpg
("V" knows what I'm talkin about! :))

Eurodiver
07-16-2008, 02:41
Yeh, my wife said something like that to me once. It went something like "You don't ever blah, blah blah", I can't remember the rest. I really wasn't paying attention.

For Tiffany & Co. | Item | Schlumberger Sixteen Stone ring in 18k gold with diamonds. | United States (http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?sku=GRP00053&mcat=148204&cid=287466&search_params=s+5-p+1-c+287466-r+101323339-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+)
:anim_argue:
You could blah blah blah blah all you wanted.
:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

/puts the seat DOWN in the clubhouse
muahahahah CLUBHOUSE INVADED !!!!!

Bert
07-16-2008, 05:38
Time for the man prayer
"I'm a man but I can change if I halfto, I guess"
Red Green Show

(in st clair shores I can get bbc from canada and watch it, cross between saturday night live meets tim allen from home improvements)

JimHar99
07-16-2008, 05:49

Yeah, mine too...
It went someting like "blah, blah, blah, birthday, blah, blah, blah, anniversary, blah, blah, blah, work, blah, blah, blah, beer, blah, blah, blah". Not sure what the whole point of the tirade was, but I heard her say something about beer, so when the inning was over and the commercial came on, I made sure we weren't running low. After all a man has to have some priorities...

navyhmc
07-16-2008, 06:00
Since my wife is a veterinarian, I hear things a little differently. It's always smart to listen for your name-she gets pissed when I don't. The other key words are "Your son!" "What the Hell!" and anything that includes the word "NEUTER!" I never go to sleep when she's pissed. :D

mm_dm
07-16-2008, 07:22
I never go to sleep when she's pissed.

Wiser words have not yet been spoken. Did that make sense? Woser wides...ah crap. Simple rule: don't piss her off. :smiley20:

Vercingetorix
07-16-2008, 07:46
Ya know where I get in the most trouble. When The Love of My Life is yammering on about something (and I know she's just kvetching) and I hear little or nothing because she's in another room; then, at some point she stops, and asks, "Well?"

That's when she knows I wasn't listening. Oooooooops.........
I swear that she asks only as a test question. I'm certain other menfolk here have experienced that.

Oh, and Ms EuroDiver, are you implying that women can be bought with baubles and trinkets? Surely not, as that would be most un-feminist and un-liberated. So, am I mistaken?

DiverMom
07-16-2008, 07:59
Ya know where I get in the most trouble. When The Love of My Life is yammering on about something (and I know she's just kvetching) and I hear little or nothing because she's in another room; then, at some point she stops, and asks, "Well?"

I swear that she asks only as a test question. I'm certain other menfolk here have experienced that.

Oh, and Ms EuroDiver, are you implying that women can be bought with baubles and trinkets? Surely not, as that would be most un-feminist and un-liberated. So, am I mistaken?

LOL! I wish my DH would just let me rant... he always wants to fix it. :smiley29: Baubles are nice but they don't fix the real issue and just think of all the gear you could buy instead if you just paid attention. :smiley36:

mm_dm
07-16-2008, 08:07

You must learn the fine art of answering a question with another question. I mean, a question other than, "What?"

Vercingetorix
07-16-2008, 08:28
Baubles are nice but they don't fix the real issue and just think of all the gear you could buy instead if you just paid attention.
Hmmm...two new concepts to consider:

1) Actually paying attention. This may prove difficult:smiley36:

2) Reducing "Listening" economic terms, i.e., new gear versus guilt payoffs...I mean, gifts. Most promising

OH-JJ
07-16-2008, 14:39
I get in more trouble if I buy her flowers or gifts as I'm sorry bribes.... Thank god as I would be bankrupt otherwise.

Splitlip
07-16-2008, 16:57

:smiley32: Nice catch.

BuzzF117
07-16-2008, 18:03
Wife and I went through this Marriage class/course and relationship Bible classes based on His Needs Her Needs (http://www.familydynamics.net/hnhn8wkinfo.htm) this past spring and things have really been great since then. Yeah I was the guy that thought whenever she said something it ment she wanted something fixed but sometimes she just wants someone to listen and not be a fixer!!

hoobascooba
07-16-2008, 18:19
my favorite responses to that are: "I hear you, but I'm not listening" or "I'm not ignoring you, I'm just not listening"

"I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life." - Rita Rudner

DollFin
07-17-2008, 00:00
Some of us can actually be bought with dive gear/trips! :)

K9Pig
07-17-2008, 00:12

Well Ya!!! I am one of those.:smiley20: Oh wait minute we were taking about our wives, listen skills, and DANG!!! I can't remember the other stuff. I was busy thinking of what I wanted from ST. :smiley2:

PS... The flowers I sent only worked during the first phone call...Bless her Heart though. I"ve been home only three weeks in the last three months..:smiley19: Believe me it's my loss....

CompuDude
07-17-2008, 02:45
Dinner. Movie. And other adult activities.

Take a day or two off the forum and diving, pay attention, and earn back some relationship points.

It's all about those points. ;)

(You'll note I was pretty much off all weekend over the 4th!)

Think of it like carbon credits. You gotta have credit to screw up the environment! LOL

oddbod
07-17-2008, 06:07
Dinner. Movie. And other adult activities.

Take a day or two off the forum and diving, pay attention, and earn back some relationship points.

It's all about those points. ;)

(You'll note I was pretty much off all weekend over the 4th!)

Think of it like carbon credits. You gotta have credit to screw up the environment! LOL
Yeah like when did you last take a break from the forum Oh "Grand Master Spammer" other than to dive:banger:(closest smiley to a bow)

mm_dm
07-17-2008, 07:29

I think that would sum up most divers I know:smiley36:

mitsuguy
07-17-2008, 08:45
I gotta be honest, my wife and I ignore each other equally...

h2odragon1
07-17-2008, 08:48
My wife also complains about my not paying attention to something or other.

awap
07-17-2008, 09:55
Well, I just got back from rescuing my wife. Her car would not start and she determined that it needed a new battery. I turned the key on and lights glowed brightly. I tried to start it and lights stayed on but no starter action. I looked down and shifted it from D4 to N. Grrrr.

BTW, she had left the keys on the seat for me while she exercised because nobody could steal it anyway.

unclepooty
07-17-2008, 11:04
Well, I just got back from rescuing my wife. Her car would not start and she determined that it needed a new battery. I turned the key on and lights glowed brightly. I tried to start it and lights stayed on but no starter action. I looked down and shifted it from D4 to N. Grrrr.

BTW, she had left the keys on the seat for me while she exercised because nobody could steal it anyway.

:smiley36::smiley36::smiley36: Did she also suggest that it might be low on oil?

cummings66
07-17-2008, 11:39
I think that taking time with your wife to enjoy yourselves is good. We take time now for ourselves and to be honest we're better now and more in love than we used to be at the start of our relationship 23 years ago.

It's much different now than before, but we're doing better. The way women talk to us is not how we talk to others. Our mistake is that we think when they tell us something they want us to fix it, they think that they're just venting and need an ear. Until that gets figured out it's tough to figure out where to go. Plus, sometimes it's good to have guy time and just go be a man. I'm sure they need the same thing.

mulefeathers
07-17-2008, 12:18
Sounds to me like she is really upset. The best thing you can do is go to your local bar order a beer and wait for her to cool off.

Bert
07-17-2008, 17:08
Some times its good to be single....:smiley20:

Eurodiver
07-22-2008, 04:06

I am with Dollfin. ST gift certificate works. Or a week long dive trip with romantic dinners in the evening would work just as well.

It is not that we can or can't be bought. I was implying that if you want to pull the blah blah blah blah trump card that there is a price.
:pegcon08:
"Don't hate the player hate the game!"

hooligan
07-22-2008, 22:54
Just last night my wife and I were watching TV... Let me rephrase that... She was watching tv, I was sitting on the couch next to her with my laptop surfin' the net. Anyway, she was busy singing along with the theme song from whatever show "we" were watching. Then without skipping a beat, she started talking to me. She said she said "babe" (that’s what she calls me when she's not mad) 7 times before I realized she was talking to me. She finally said, "STEPHEN" and hit me. I told her, if you wanted my attention, why didn't you just say my name and hit me the first time. Needless to say, she didn't like that response and told me I need to be more attentive. I said between my 7.1 Surround Sound and her singing, I can't tell that she's talking to me without some physical contact like a tap on the shoulder. Come to think of it, ever since I installed that 7.1 surround sound, I can never hear what she's saying. Especially if I'm "inside the bubble" and she's not. But I think that it is her fault since she bought me a 1400watt receiver for Christmas 2 years ago.

Bowlofpetunias
07-29-2008, 05:36

:smilie39:Hey guys no stereotyping! Trinkets pah ... dive gear is the way to this lady's heart!:smiley20: Heheheheh here's a good one to use. Noise induced deafness (caused by noise endured while earning money for trinkets) effects the higher pitched frequencies first. Female voices are higher pitched and the shriller the pitch the harder it is for you poor dears to hear!:smiley36: I hope my hubby doesn't read this thread:smiley2:

Vercingetorix
07-29-2008, 07:20
It's nice to hear from the ladies on this topic.

Now, do you ladies pay attention to every golden syllable spoken by your husband/boyfriend/both?

John Yaskowich
07-29-2008, 08:27

Now, do you ladies pay attention to every golden syllable spoken by your husband/boyfriend/both?

I read somewhere that men say about 7,000 words per day and women say 20,000. Given that, men can hardly find a moment of dead air to utter a golden syllable for her to listen to!

livinoz
07-29-2008, 08:35

I read somewhere that men say about 7,000 words per day and women say 20,000. Given that, men can hardly find a moment of dead air to utter a golden syllable for her to listen to!

It's because we have a larger vocabulary! :smiley2:

Vercingetorix
07-29-2008, 08:49
I read somewhere that men say about 7,000 words per day and women say 20,000. Given that, men can hardly find a moment of dead air to utter a golden syllable for her to listen to!It's because we have a larger vocabulary! Hah!!!:smiley36:

Ask my wife "what time is it?", and she'll tell you how to build a watch.

//just the facts, ma'am...

livinoz
07-29-2008, 08:52
I read somewhere that men say about 7,000 words per day and women say 20,000. Given that, men can hardly find a moment of dead air to utter a golden syllable for her to listen to!It's because we have a larger vocabulary! Hah!!!:smiley36:

Ask my wife "what time is it?", and she'll tell you how to build a watch.

//just the facts, ma'am...

Well, isn't that handy? :smiley36:

sravin1
07-29-2008, 09:24
yeah...but once you build it, you realize its a women's watch that tells them when to put you to work....

NZarathustra
07-29-2008, 12:57

No... it's 'cos you... um... use your air more efficiently... :smilie39:

luvs2scuba2
07-29-2008, 18:09
Hey... I've been out with a few guys that I wished were divers simply because you can't talk while you are diving!

Bowlofpetunias
07-29-2008, 19:01
Hey... I've been out with a few guys that I wished were divers simply because you can't talk while you are diving!

Oh yaaah? I've met a couple people who try!:smiley11:

Bowlofpetunias
07-29-2008, 19:11
I work as a trainer so I talk all day by the time I get home I am ready to shut up!
If I'm off work for more than a few days hubby says "When are you back to work dear? I like it when you work..... you are much quieter then!"

When my brother first met my SO he told him "You are a lot like me... you don't say much. That's probably a good thing 'cause with her around you won't get many chances anyway!" I admit he's right lol

In answer to the question.... Do we listen to every word you males say?
:smilie39::smilie39:gasp:smilie39:you gotta:smilie39::smilie39:choke gasp:smilie39::smilie39:be :smilie39:kidding:smilie39:

(composes herself) on those rare occasions you have something we consider important enough:smiley36:

Doug B
07-29-2008, 20:37
Time for the man prayer
"I'm a man but I can change if I halfto, I guess"
Red Green Show

(in st clair shores I can get bbc from canada and watch it, cross between saturday night live meets tim allen from home improvements)

When repairing sheet metal, most folks may think that screws or rivets would be the fastener of choice. Not here. We'll use duct tape.

Keep yer stick on the ice. (with chain saws buzzing in the background)

Doug B
07-29-2008, 20:46

or...maybe it's because women can't speak efficiently and concisely? :smiley2:

magelk
07-29-2008, 21:06

Hmmm, when I saw this thread, I knew I'd find you here!!!:smiley36:

magelk
07-29-2008, 21:07
All I have to say here is, I'm very fortunate that I'm partially deaf!:smilie39:

livinoz
07-29-2008, 22:49
or...maybe it's because women can't speak efficiently and concisely? :smiley2:

I speak both precisely and succinctly, and no-one can ever mistake my meaning! :smiley2:

livinoz
07-29-2008, 22:49

But of course! I always enjoy a bit of controversy! :smiley36:

Bowlofpetunias
07-30-2008, 04:14

:smiley36:In the Ambulance Service we had a name for people like you ....:smiley2:$#it magnet:smilie39:don't know if they create it, find it or it finds them but wherever they are there will be a pile somewhere close by:smilie39:

livinoz
07-30-2008, 04:17

:smiley36:In the Ambulance Service we had a name for people like you ....:smiley2:$#it magnet:smilie39:don't know if they create it, find it or it finds them but wherever they are there will be a pile somewhere close by:smilie39:

*Hangs head. Yes, that's me. :smiley6:

thanksforallthefish
07-30-2008, 04:19
I know its an oldie ... but it is a good one YouTube - Milton singing "The Man Song" by Sean Morey (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7Y0I91rubg)

Have to be careful ... wife is posting in this thread ... maybe I need a sockpuppet

crgjpg
07-30-2008, 07:37
[quote=Vercingetorix;201618] When The Love of My Life is yammering on about something (and I know she's just kvetching) and I hear little or nothing because she's in another room; then, at some point she stops, and asks, "Well?"
[quote]

I am there with you. How do they expect you to hear and understand them when they are in a different room.

crgjpg
07-30-2008, 07:40

My wife will get upset with me when I am not paying attention and she even gets upset when I point out to her that she does not pay attention to me.

I think that it is natural that there are times that we dont pay attention to each other. We are just preoccupied by what we were doing before the other want to speak to us.

Vercingetorix
07-30-2008, 08:02
I am there with you. How do they expect you to hear and understand them when they are in a different room.Because we men are supposed to read minds, and be "in touch with her feelings" or some such nonsense.

Don't get me wrong here, I enjoy being with and loving She Who Must Be Obeyed, but sometimes...

We are just preoccupied by what we were doing before the other want to speak to us.Roger that!!!!

mrbheagney
08-31-2008, 21:10
Buy her a 12 pack of beer. Chicks love that kind of stuff.

How do you turn a fox into a badger? Marry her!

Bowlofpetunias
09-01-2008, 04:58
I had a friend who used to say "Before I got married she called me a Greek
God, now she calls me a GD Greek!"

Warren
09-01-2008, 15:06

Hehe!

bubble-head
09-01-2008, 17:04
My wife gets mad at me when I agree that she's right just to avoid an argument.

USF_Diver
09-03-2008, 19:52

LOL :smiley36: