PDA

View Full Version : How long do you wait for a Hydro?

mjcoyne
07-16-2008, 19:39
When I moved into my new apartment a few months ago I found a steel LP72 in my basement that was about 8 years out of hydro so I figured why not go and have a visual done on it to see what it looked like. My LDS checked it out and there was a little bit of rust but they figured that could be taken care of when they did the hydro....here is my only concern, every time I have gone to my LDS the tank is sitting in a corner with the hydro tag on it and it has not moved in about 6 weeks.....is that normal or should I try and get it tested through another LDS since there are about 3 more in my area?

Splitlip
07-16-2008, 20:12
Take it somewhere else. I wait a week. 13 days max if I miss pickup day.

character157
07-16-2008, 20:41
Time for a new LDS...go and get your tank. 6 weeks is all wrong.

mike_s
07-16-2008, 21:33
If I care to wait, I can usually get my tank hydro'd, vis'd and paid and gone in an hours time. (This is at hydro facility, not a dive shop).

Usually I just come back the next day or later in the day and it's done.

Typically dive shops don't do their own hydro's. a few might. but most don't. they take them to a hydro facility that is seperate from the shop. It's not untypical for a shop to wait till it gets in a couple cylinders so that it doesn't have to put out for gas for two trips to the hydro facility (drop off and pickup). but 6 weeks is ridiculous.

6 weeks means that the dive shop doesn't value you as a customer. Go somwhere else.

texdiveguy
07-16-2008, 22:07
Mine are hydro'd in 3 days.

Shellback
07-16-2008, 22:33
When I moved into my new apartment a few months ago I found a steel LP72 in my basement that was about 8 years out of hydro so I figured why not go and have a visual done on it to see what it looked like. My LDS checked it out and there was a little bit of rust but they figured that could be taken care of when they did the hydro....here is my only concern, every time I have gone to my LDS the tank is sitting in a corner with the hydro tag on it and it has not moved in about 6 weeks.....is that normal or should I try and get it tested through another LDS since there are about 3 more in my area?
About a week for me too, 6 weeks is beyond ridiculous ! Yep, time to find another LDS.

CompuDude
07-17-2008, 02:28
Hydro, vis, and even a tumble (if needed) all together should never take more than a week, unless there are extenuating circumstances. 6 weeks is outrageous.

RMur
07-17-2008, 06:39
A dive shop in Florence, KY had my steel 72 for nearly 4 months... just waiting for another tank or two to send them out. I called weekly, being pleasant and understanding.

I waited patiently - wasn't diving in the winter anyway. Finally had enough, took it to another shop and got it back in a week.

As was said in a previous post - they didn't want my business very badly.

Lots of other bad vibes from that shop - too bad for the instructors there that are top notch. They are losing so much business due to poor management in that shop.

mm_dm
07-17-2008, 07:50
Mine was waiting for me (filled and ready) when I came back a week later. Time to exercise your power as a consumer.

ScubaJ
07-17-2008, 08:26
My LDS was saying a 3 week wait, so I ended up taking it to the company they send it to. Droped it off at lunch and picked it up the next day.

mchain
07-17-2008, 09:01
It took me about a week but they (the hydro facility) warned me when I dropped it off that they were slammed.

mjcoyne
07-18-2008, 11:54
Well it looks like I will be picking up that tank today, I was just about positive this was taking way too long but I wanted to confirm before I did anything. As a LDS the place is still OK (for the free air fills).....

cummings66
07-19-2008, 08:58
Free air fills? How does a poor dive shop manage to do that? How about the quality of their air?

edl
07-19-2008, 15:36
some of the larger fire extinguisher shops will hydro tanks if you ask them for about 15 to 20 dollars 1-3 days

Splitlip
07-19-2008, 15:56
Free air fills? How does a poor dive shop manage to do that? How about the quality of their air?

I have not paid for air in 7 or 8 years. But then, I buy most of my gear at the dive shop. And judging by the stacks of bottles there today, I would say the air is fine.:)

andyrent
07-27-2008, 15:08
I receive free air fills for a year from my LDS (PADI 5 star) with a visual inspection. I'm a new diver (and cheap), I had my hydro's done at a fire extinguisher shop that I found off of the DOT website. Saved about $10.00 on each tank.

I know... New diver. I bought a couple of gently used AL80's.

freeski4ever
07-27-2008, 22:29
Usually a few days.

AMASKU8200
07-27-2008, 22:50
Usual wait in our shop is a week. they take them and pick them up from the hydro test facility every friday. Are they doing the visual plus 3 on the 6061 tanks? they should do it for the same price as a regular vis and it will give everyone piece of mind that it won't explode when they fill it.