PDA

View Full Version : Sharing air with a pony.

emcbride81
07-17-2008, 00:54
I did my first dive with a pony last week and had a question. If you had a buddy with an OOA emergency and you were low on your tank, would the proper procedure be for them to take your octo and you breathe off of the pony or for them to breathe off of your pony?

When going through our predive, I figured the best way was for me to be prepared to breathe off of the pony, so I told my buddy to go for my octo. I just wanted to make sure I was right.

FishFood
07-17-2008, 01:00
How *low* are we talking? If you have enough air to surface, it'd be best to hand off the pony. That'd make ascending and a safety stop easier and less cluttered.

CompuDude
07-17-2008, 03:40
How *low* are we talking? If you have enough air to surface, it'd be best to hand off the pony. That'd make ascending and a safety stop easier and less cluttered.

Agreed. Pass off the pony when you have both and it makes sense. Much better than trying to do the face-to-face locked ascent.

SkuaSeptember
07-17-2008, 16:27
Ditto, and in case you are not slinging the pony but are instead using a bracket or pouch, consider adding a snap bolt to the bottle that your buddy can use to clip it off to their BC and then still have hands free.

emcbride81
07-22-2008, 19:34
cool...thanks guys!

tonka97
07-22-2008, 20:37
cool...thanks guys!

This handing off the pony skill should be practiced.

The 30 c.f. pony, aluminum, is -1 pound negative, so the adjustment to both divers' buoyancy should be minimal.

:smiley5:

Puffer Fish
07-22-2008, 21:27
Great guidance.. now we just need emc to understand that one should never, ever be in the about situation...particularly the one where you don't have enough air for your buddy in your primary tank.

However, even in that situation (where you have extra gas), giving up the pony makes sense.

character157
07-22-2008, 22:04
Passing off the pony would almost be instinct in an OOA situation. I would rather hand it off and be able to control my own ascent.

CompuDude
07-23-2008, 00:30
cool...thanks guys!

The 30 c.f. pony, aluminum, is -1 pound negative, so the adjustment to both divers' buoyancy should be minimal.

You were closer the first time... the full pony bottle itself is about -1, but the regs add another pound or so, so at least -2.

fire diver
07-23-2008, 02:54
Great guidance.. now we just need emc to understand that one should never, ever be in the about situation...particularly the one where you don't have enough air for your buddy in your primary tank.

However, even in that situation (where you have extra gas), giving up the pony makes sense.

Our next class will be..... Rock-bottom gas calcs! Come on! All the cool kids are doing it. You know you want to be one of the "cool" kids who always comes back alive, with thier partner, after a dive.

tonka97
07-23-2008, 06:54
cool...thanks guys!

You were closer the first time... the full pony bottle itself is about -1, but the regs add another pound or so, so at least -2.

:smiley20: I thought it felt heavier than -1! 3 pounds additional on the opposite side seems to neutralize slung 30 c.f. pony almost exactly, over the course of a dive.

crpntr133
07-23-2008, 14:56
Our next class will be..... Rock-bottom gas calcs! Come on! All the cool kids are doing it. You know you want to be one of the "cool" kids who always comes back alive, with thier partner, after a dive.

You are suppose to come back with your buddy?? Now you tell me! :D

I think it would be more instinct to donate your octo and breath off the pony. Either way you aren't in the wrong.

texdiveguy
07-23-2008, 15:23
In the OP's statement he indicates his buddy goes into an OOG situation.....he also indicates that his own back gas in very low. Now he is carrying a slung pony bottle of contingency gas for himself---thats why he went to the trouble/$ to rig it. You hand off the bottle to your buddy to breath off....your buddy now gets separated from you and your pony is with him...as **** happens your already very low back gas is now pinging the tank as you breath it down. Now you have no other reserve gas to breath....your buddy is assumed doing ok with your pony bottle. I bring this up as a possible situation.......I persl. don't hand off my contingency gas to anyone.....it stays with me under my control......my OOG buddy is welcome to use this contingency gas as we terminate the dive.....there should be plenty of hose length on a well set up pony bottle to reach the OOG diver allowing for a more guarded but normal ascent. Its your gas....keep it in your control.

CompuDude
07-23-2008, 16:15
In the OP's statement he indicates his buddy goes into an OOG situation.....he also indicates that his own back gas in very low. Now he is carrying a slung pony bottle of contingency gas for himself---thats why he went to the trouble/$ to rig it. You hand off the bottle to your buddy to breath off....your buddy now gets separated from you and your pony is with him...as **** happens your already very low back gas is now pinging the tank as you breath it down. Now you have no other reserve gas to breath....your buddy is assumed doing ok with your pony bottle. I bring this up as a possible situation.......I persl. don't hand off my contingency gas to anyone.....it stays with me under my control......my OOG buddy is welcome to use this contingency gas as we terminate the dive.....there should be plenty of hose length on a well set up pony bottle to reach the OOG diver allowing for a more guarded but normal ascent. Its your gas....keep it in your control.

I agree with you, of course, but the question is, how low is low? I read too low to mean he did not have enough to share air all the way to the surface, not that he was too low for himself. Therefore his contingency gas should be available to use however it's needed. Pass it off or share as you see fit. If he's so low that he is in danger of OOA himself, that's a double failure (since with proper gas planning you should have enough back gas for a shared ascent without going to the pony), IMO, or the pony is not being used as contingency gas, but rather as part of the gas plan, which is not a great way of diving, I think you'd agree. (This is all completely theoretical, of course... no insult whatsoever intended to the OP)

crpntr133
07-23-2008, 17:42
I guess the real question would be...did the OP actually plan a dive and dive the plan? Like compudude mentioned, if so that equals a double failure.

Still, use the pony however you want. Just don't figure it on your gas plan.

emcbride81
08-08-2008, 23:17
I guess the real question would be...did the OP actually plan a dive and dive the plan? Like compudude mentioned, if so that equals a double failure.

Still, use the pony however you want. Just don't figure it on your gas plan.

I meant this as a worst possible scenario, I never plan to need my pony, I just wanted to know the best way to utilize it in case the crap hits the fan.

Coaster
08-09-2008, 21:07
When an OOA diver sees the yellow octo I'll bet they head for it instead of your pony. Seems like very different views on what happens to the pony during the emergency..without a plan, some practice, and a good predive briefing...who knows what will happen to the pony.