PDA

View Full Version : equipment

sravin1
07-18-2008, 13:36
Hi,

I am a newbie trying to get my own equipment (guess you hear this a lot). Anyway, I did some research for the past week and figured out the stuff that I think I want to buy. I am 5 10 and I weigh 155-160 pounds.

It would be great if you could advise me on the gear I have chosen (I know gears are based on personal preference but..) I am looking for any serious flaws with thes if any or any serious concerns or in general what to expect.

BCD: Oceanic Islander (medium)
Reg: Oceanic GT3 CDX5 with DVT
Octo: Oceanic slim line 2
Computer: Oceanic Veo 100nx 2 guage console.

Thanks in advance

Sriram

digitalman
07-18-2008, 13:51
Hi,

I am a newbie trying to get my own equipment (guess you hear this a lot). Anyway, I did some research for the past week and figured out the stuff that I think I want to buy. I am 5 10 and I weigh 155-160 pounds.

It would be great if you could advise me on the gear I have chosen (I know gears are based on personal preference but..) I am looking for any serious flaws with thes if any or any serious concerns or in general what to expect.

BCD: Oceanic Islander (medium)
Reg: Oceanic GT3 CDX5 with DVT
Octo: Oceanic slim line 2
Computer: Oceanic Veo 100nx 2 guage console.

Thanks in advance

Sriram

Call ST and have them build it as a package to save some $$.

reactive
07-18-2008, 13:56
Looks good! Buying new gear is fun stuff!

Sansho
07-18-2008, 17:31
Oceanic makes good gear, and that looks like a good selection to begin with. Agree that you call ST and get a package price, as you'll save a few dineros. The CDX5 is an environmentally-sealed 1st stage, which will be handy if you dive below 45 or so.

sravin1
07-18-2008, 19:02
Is the veo 100nx necessary? I dont plan on getting a nitrox certification soon. should I go with a non nitrox comp or just get the veo as an investment for the future?

Also, if anybody has used this computer, I want to know if the display is large and readable.

Charles R
07-18-2008, 19:10
Get the Nitrox computer now you will probably get Nitrox Certified before long and there is no need to have to re-buy.:smiley20:

sravin1
07-18-2008, 19:17
thanks. another silly question. i have never carried dive gear to vacations (not yet). how do people usually take them. do you need an equipment bag to check it in to the plane and a mesh bag to carry it to a boat or do you just fit it in a regular suitcase with a folded up mesh bag?

In any case, i think the mesh bag is a necessity.

correct me if i am wrong

rumblefish
07-18-2008, 22:19
You could use a dedicated equipment bag or just a normal suitcase to check on the plane. I'd avoid any bag that has dive logos or brand names on them as you don't want to advertise you are carrying expensive dive gear. Check you gear in and place in your carry on the more important bits like regs, computers, mask, dive log.

Mesh bags will work well on the dive boat.

tc_rain
07-19-2008, 08:04
s/t makes a great mesh bag to carry on ther boat and just a plain rolling duffle bag from wally world will work for a checked bag on a plane. as far as computers, get the nitrox and save yourself the trouble of upgrading later. everyone gets the nitrox cert sooner or later.

sravin1
07-19-2008, 08:19
thanks everyone for prompt replys. if i order the package from ST, i might get a duffel bag that has a manufacturer logo, but from what you guys say, it might not be a very good idea to use it for travelling.

cummings66
07-19-2008, 09:01
On a dive boat it won't hurt, but left in a public place or on a plane it might suggest valuable good are contained within.

Splitlip
07-19-2008, 09:45
Is the veo 100nx necessary? I dont plan on getting a nitrox certification soon. should I go with a non nitrox comp or just get the veo as an investment for the future?

Also, if anybody has used this computer, I want to know if the display is large and readable.

I have 100 I put on my daughter's console. It is the most readable puck display I have seen.

My 100 is not the nx, but air only. I bought it for a couple reasons. 1. price. Got it very cheap with warranty from a local shop. 2. My daughter is a new diver using air only. She jumps in and it is water activated. Nothing to set. 3. It has a gauge mode. When she does get nitrox, it will be her backup timer (or mine).

If you don't want to buy twice, I would get the NX though. You will get nitrox cert sooner than you think.

dannybot
07-19-2008, 10:13
The Veo100nx is similar to the older Veo180, but it lacks the backlight and audible alarm, which I think are both nice features, although the audible on the 180 is not really loud enough. If you're not going to go on to NITROX, then you might consider the Aeris XR-1. It is very easy to use and cheap, but once again it lacks the backlight and audible. I have a Gekko, and like the big display and it has many features, but navigating the menus is difficult. My wife has a Veo180, and likes it, she replaced her XR-1 with it. If you aren't going to do night or nitrox, I would really look at the XR-1, it's cheap, easy and really easy to use, the display is really big and easy to read.

Also for the boat bag, you can pick one up at Academy for under $20, but Scubatoys has a nice backpack that my wife uses and likes alot: ScubaToys Mesh Back Pack Bag, Dive Bags, ScubaToys, ScubaToys Mesh Back Pack Bag (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=STMeshBackPack)

Sasha_K
07-19-2008, 10:20
As for the computer, go to the computer board here at ST. A lot of people recommend wirst/watch size computers for various reasons. I haven't gotten mine yet, but I will. I decided to keep my compass at the gauges and will get a wirst mounted computer.