PDA

View Full Version : zeagle tech

turtle_guy
08-09-2007, 23:49
does anyone here use a zeagle tech bc

CDNdiver
09-11-2007, 14:59
I know of a couple guys that setup their zeagle rangers for diving doubles. While this is possible to do this setup is not typically accepted for technical diving certification classes. A traditional backplate/wing (DIR/hogarthian setup) is typically required. The zeagle is a very nice recreational BC but if you are serious about tech diving I would suggest you look into a backplate/wing setup. Other strings on this forum can provide loads of discussion points on the benefits/drawbacks of various technical rigs.

Good luck and safe diving.

texdiveguy
09-11-2007, 15:21

I dive a Zeagle Tech for both sport and technical diving.....great platform for both. Though with the 65lb. wing you are better suited using a larger single tank with the Tech....I use a HP steel 130cf for diving single configuration. I use a full Zeagle backplate when diving the Tech with doubles...works far better than the 2 small plates you can get. I added a tail ring to the Tech for trailing bottles and reels. To go from single to doubles takes all of 10 minutes swap out. IMO it is a nice 'hybrid' bcd...very rugged and well designed. Let me know if you have specf. questions.

texdiveguy
09-11-2007, 15:32
........While this is possible to do this setup is not typically accepted for technical diving certification classes. A traditional backplate/wing (DIR/hogarthian setup) is typically required.........

Sorry but that is not fully accurate. The Zeagle Tech is what is known in the industry as a 'hybrid' design bcd. It functions perfectly as well as does the bp/w for either sport/rec. or technical diving. Most tech agencies have no issues with the 'hybrid' design nor do tech instructors that I have been associated with.....basically it all comes down to persl. choice.

turtle_guy
09-12-2007, 06:15
no questions really i dive one myself just curious cause you dont see very many of them

webwidejosh
10-11-2007, 15:00

I dive a Zeagle Tech for both sport and technical diving.....great platform for both. Though with the 65lb. wing you are better suited using a larger single tank with the Tech....I use a HP steel 130cf for diving single configuration. I use a full Zeagle backplate when diving the Tech with doubles...works far better than the 2 small plates you can get. I added a tail ring to the Tech for trailing bottles and reels. To go from single to doubles takes all of 10 minutes swap out. IMO it is a nice 'hybrid' bcd...very rugged and well designed. Let me know if you have specf. questions.

I bought a Zeagle Tech because I thought it was a good deal. This is before I saw the Brigade. I'm wondering if I bought too much BC. Is the bladder really too large for rec diving? Should I look into another bladder or down-sizing if I'm not sure I'll get to tech diving?

texdiveguy
10-11-2007, 15:15

I bought a Zeagle Tech because I thought it was a good deal. This is before I saw the Brigade. I'm wondering if I bought too much BC. Is the bladder really too large for rec diving? Should I look into another bladder or down-sizing if I'm not sure I'll get to tech diving?

IMO.... the 65lbs. bladder on the Tech is really much to large in lift for general Al. or smaller St. singles cylinder recreational diving. You can adjust the bladder wing with the attached wing straps so you don't get as much 'play' for a smaller tank. You might consider a smaller Zeagle wing if you are diving say an Al.80 or so....I am not familiar with exactly their offerings but a quick look at Zeagles web site would answer that....something in the 30-40lbs. range would be good. The Tech is a great bc but it is designed for someone wishing more lift and other options generally sought after when diving doubles configuration. Hope this helps.

MEL-DC Diver
10-11-2007, 15:18

If diving a single tank configuration the Tech will provide you far more lift than you actually need and add additional bulk and drag. You can certainly dive this way, but a smaller rig would be better suited for your purposes if doing just your standard rec diving.