PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to dive Brownstone Quarry in CT?

Sansho
07-18-2008, 17:50
Not sure about the weekend of July 26-27th, however for sure either Aug 2nd or 3rd. If you want to PM me, I'll put together a list of ST folks who'd like to dive together, and we'll figure out the best time. The web link to the scuba section at the Brownstone site is Brownstone Park - Scuba, Wakeboarding, Canoe, Swim, Zip Lines and More! (http://brownstonepark.com/activities/scuba-diving)

thor
07-18-2008, 23:39
Not sure about the weekend of July 26-27th, however for sure either Aug 2nd or 3rd. If you want to PM me, I'll put together a list of ST folks who'd like to dive together, and we'll figure out the best time. The web link to the scuba section at the Brownstone site is Brownstone Park - Scuba, Wakeboarding, Canoe, Swim, Zip Lines and More! (http://brownstonepark.com/activities/scuba-diving)

Aug 2 or 3 is better for me.

caroln
07-19-2008, 05:27
If you're interested, Brownstone has a big Halcyon demo event I believe the weekend of 8/16-8/17. This was a good event at Dutch last week with lots of gear to try, and lots of GUE instructors on hand to chat with and get some first hand info on anything GUE, plus an interesting presentation by Jarrod Jablonski.

MelissaExplainsItAll
07-20-2008, 18:55
This is the worst place in the New England area to dive. I hated every minute of it. I learned in Boston Harbor and would go back there in a second compared to Brownstone Quarry...

Sansho
07-20-2008, 20:07
This is the worst place in the New England area to dive. I hated every minute of it. I learned in Boston Harbor and would go back there in a second compared to Brownstone Quarry...
While I haven't gone diving there, I understand there are some nice places in the greater Boston area. Brownstone quarry certainly doesn't have the maturity in the facility, nor the water cleaning mussels, of Dutch Springs, for example. However, compared to local lake diving, it's a notch above. It's probably worth at least a couple of dives to scope the place out - I found it interesting to see up close where they mined the brownstone.

I'm interested in good places to dive in New England. If Brownstone Quarry is at the bottom of your list, and Boston Harbor aside, where else have you dived that would you recommend?

Vercingetorix
07-20-2008, 20:09
This is the worst place in the New England area to dive. I hated every minute of it.Don't hold back...tell us how you REALLY feel.:smiley36:

mm_dm
07-20-2008, 20:16

Thor's a Yankee. That explains everything!

MelissaExplainsItAll
07-20-2008, 20:53
I'm sorry if I'm coming across kinda harsh.. just after spending a bunch of money and $20 per person to get into the quarry today I'm a little frustrated. I've only dove in Boston Harbor. I'm planning to go to Avery Point in Groton some time midweek. I went to school there and I've always been interested in trying it. So I really don't have any suggestions. I'm still new to this!

thor
07-20-2008, 22:35

At least I'm not a Sox fan. That also explains everything.

mm_dm
07-21-2008, 07:37

:smilie39::smilie39:

MelissaExplainsItAll
07-21-2008, 08:22

Born & Raised.. and I wouldn't have it any other way!

maxdogk911
07-22-2008, 04:48
I, m interested in a trip to Brownstone, either weekend works. Let me know.

thor
07-24-2008, 15:37
Anyone free to go on Sat. August 2.?

Sansho
07-24-2008, 18:38
Sat Aug 2nd can work for me ... 2 tank dive?

thor
07-27-2008, 21:46
Sat Aug 2nd can work for me ... 2 tank dive?

Sounds good. PM me to sort out the details

Firebrand
07-29-2008, 18:09
If I get a chance, you mind if I join in?

thor
07-29-2008, 18:33
No problem. We changed the plans to Sun Aug. 3. PM me or Sansho for details

medic001918
07-29-2008, 18:49
My wife and I might be interested in a Sunday dive at the quarry. I have to talk to her. She hasn't been feeling that great this week so if she's sick, I know she won't go.

As far as the quarry, they've done a lot of work there and for what it is...it's a good place to train and get some diving in. For us it's close to home and an easy dive. Would I rather go get in the ocean every dive? For sure. But that's not always easy with my work schedule and such. The quarry is a place I can go to when I get out of work in the morning...squeeze a dive in and then go home to sleep. Given time, I'm sure this will grow to be a very decent dive site for quick dives, or training dives. I'm probably biased since it's only 20 minutes from home.

Shane

Suddle Fish
08-03-2008, 08:56
Hi, I am new to CT - I would like to go Today if its not to late?

Sansho
08-03-2008, 16:47
Hi, I am new to CT - I would like to go Today if its not to late?

Hi, we were on the road when you posted this morning. I think the next time I'll head over will be towards the end of August. I'll start a new thread for that - got some good ideas today for a next dive. Or you can certainly post to see who would be interested in joining you.

While the weather was great today, the dive conditions weren't optimal, as visibility wasn't very good, maybe 10'-15' at the surface and below around 20' it dropped to 5' to 10' . One interesting dive we did was along the right quarry wall. Thor and Firebrand were there ... it was great to meet them and, despite viz, dive today.

Suddle Fish
08-03-2008, 18:30
It's cool - Be from down south I don't have to proper gear anyway - i gotta find a 7mm suit - all I got now is a 3/2. So it would of been a cold trip for me.

Sansho
08-03-2008, 18:55
It's cool - Be from down south I don't have to proper gear anyway - i gotta find a 7mm suit - all I got now is a 3/2. So it would of been a cold trip for me.
ST still has 7mm Henderson Thermoprene on closeout at Henderson Thermoprene 7mm Full Suit 2007 Mens BLUE ONLY, Wetsuits: Men, Henderson, Henderson Thermoprene 7mm Full Suit 2007 Mens BLUE ONLY (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=7mmHendersonThermopreneMensB lue) . The Henderson size chart is at Henderson USA - Size Chart (http://www.hendersonusa.com/index.php?page=eng_size_chart&lang=eng)

You should also get gloves and hood, if you don't already have those. 5mm is a good thickness for them.

thor
08-04-2008, 22:13

It was 43 degrees at 47 feet and 65 degrees at 20 ft. You might be a weee bit cold in that 3/2. Nonetheless it was a good time and I will definitely be back. It was great to meet both Sansho and Firebrand.