PDA

View Full Version : What Is It With Women and Their Shoes?

Vercingetorix
08-10-2007, 08:18
Now, being a guy, our choices of footwear are easy. One black pair, one white pair, sneakers/athletic shoes, sandals, fins. But you ladies???

Each of you must own tens ot thousands of pairs. I recently went on a business trip wth some women folk. I had ONE suitcase. The only shoes I had were the ones I was wearing. One of the ladies looked at my suitcase and said her selection of shoes for the trip wouldn't fit in my suitcase.

I'll admit this; I watch Sex and the City And, I realize that those girls are "All Manhattan, All the Time". To them, a trip abroad is crossing over to Jersey. But, they ogle a $400 pair of highheels like its a Chippendale dancer.

So...are women master of their shoe domain? Or their slaves?

dallasdivergirl
08-10-2007, 09:06
Speaking for myself, if I find shoes that I do like I will get them in black and brown. I probably have 25 pairs of shoes and at least half of that is flipflops or keens/tevas. I have work shoes, summer shoes, cold weather shoes and beach/lake shoes.

I do know men who are just as bad as the ladies.

NitroWill
08-10-2007, 09:40
I have about 6 pairs of Crocs for what its worth :smiley36:

Foo2
08-10-2007, 09:50
fooman2 is just as bad as I am, if not worse!

Disneymom
08-10-2007, 09:59
I'm not a shoe freak - 2 pair of black for work, a couple pair of dressy sandals, 2 pair flip flops, 2 pair crocs, tennis shoes, 2 pair of dress boots black and brown, and snow boots. I'm kind of practical. Daughter on the other hand, is a shoe fiend.

Osprey
08-10-2007, 10:03
I own a pair of sneakers (well, 2, but one pair is very worn out), 2 pairs of dress shoes (one for summer weather, one for snow weather), and flipflops. i wear the dress shoes about.. once a year.. but i've had them since my sophomore year of high school, so i'm getting my money's worth at least lol

YellowfinKunkfish
08-10-2007, 10:40
I do have quite a few pairs of shoes, BUT, I have so many pairs because I take care of them, and they last me for years. When I buy new shoes, I just add them to the ones I already have. I don't get rid of old shoes, until they literally fall apart. The older they are, the more comfy they are. My husband on the other hand, can trash a pair of tennis shoes in 6 months. His dress shoes last a little longer, but not much. Water shoes? Trashed after about two trips to the scuba park.:smiley11:

Men, just do not take good care of their shoes.
(and it doesn't help that their feet stink):smiley4:

Rhonda

Vercingetorix
08-10-2007, 11:05
YellowfinKunkFish/Rhonda,

That is a great photo you have for your avatar. Whenever I see it, I smile.

mwhities
08-10-2007, 11:07
My wife has 20+ shoes in different forms. She buys shoes, I buy watches. ;)

Michael

Harshal
08-10-2007, 11:12
No comments on this one........... women in here are notorious, I made a comment on nail polish and they start putting preassure on me to try coloring my nails...... I am sure if I make comment on this one they would make me wear women shoes...............lol :)

Foo2
08-10-2007, 11:14
That would be quite a site...Harshal with dive flag toes and womens shoes...

YellowfinKunkfish
08-10-2007, 11:23
YellowfinKunkFish/Rhonda,

That is a great photo you have for your avatar. Whenever I see it, I smile.

Thank You! That was my discover scuba dive in the Bahamas.

Me and the fish.... we had a moment.:smiley4:

Rhonda

YellowfinKunkfish
08-10-2007, 11:28
That would be quite a site...Harshal with dive flag toes and womens shoes...

Hairy dive flag toes, and heels.:smilie39:

We could make it a requirement for all the men that post in the women's forum, complete with pictures for proof!:smilie40:

Disneymom
08-10-2007, 11:36
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n107/disneymom62/scuba.jpg

Here you go, Harshal.

Foo2
08-10-2007, 11:57

Here you go, Harshal.

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

dallasdivergirl
08-10-2007, 12:09
Disney Mom... those are great!

Harshal: you better be posting some pictures here very soon!

Harshal
08-10-2007, 12:54
Man........ I am glad you guys only have half of original pic of those high heel fins....... there were some pink ones in there too..........lol :)

Disneymom
08-10-2007, 13:07
Man........ I am glad you guys only have half of original pic of those high heel fins....... there were some pink ones in there too..........lol :)
They have them in PINK?????

I'm outta here - gotta go shopping - now!

creggur
08-10-2007, 13:48
Thank You! That was my discover scuba dive in the Bahamas.

Me and the fish.... we had a moment.:smiley4:

Rhonda

That's awesome, I thought for sure that the fish was photoshopped in!!

He actually looks upset that you are there..:smiley20:

WV Diver
08-10-2007, 15:01
:smilie40: Where will this go?? :smiley36:

Harshal
08-10-2007, 15:34
:smilie40: Where will this go?? :smiley36:

If you wanna end this do what they are asking and send them your picture.................lol :)

WV Diver
08-10-2007, 16:01
Believe me, nobody wants to see my feet. lol :smilie39:

namabiru
08-10-2007, 16:09
You know, I've been thinking about this whole shoe thing lately too. I move around the world, and am always looking to downsize my stuff. What sucks for professional women, if you have to wear suits a lot, is that you kind of have to have coordinating shoes. So I have a blue suit with a skirt, for which I had to get shoes specifically to go with the suit because I wore it to an interview. And that's the only time I would probably wear the shoes--if I wore the suit :(

picxie
08-10-2007, 19:20
I'm not a shoe person. I have maybe 3-4 pairs for work. A couple of those are also worn for casual. Then there's my sneakers. So really only half a dozen or so. I really do need more for work but I'm hopeless with fashion - it's all the horrible pointy stuff these days and I just don't suit it or like it! So it makes it harder to buy new shoes when all that is available is stuff you don't like.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-10-2007, 21:05
i dont have a clue why women do it. When the wife and i go on hoilday she takes everything which isnt bolted down.

nferra2
08-10-2007, 22:11
I did not even want to attempt to read this thread, anyone who starts a thread with a title like this is just asking for trouble in a sub forum dedicated to women.

namabiru
08-11-2007, 11:03
I'm not a shoe person. I have maybe 3-4 pairs for work. A couple of those are also worn for casual. Then there's my sneakers. So really only half a dozen or so. I really do need more for work but I'm hopeless with fashion - it's all the horrible pointy stuff these days and I just don't suit it or like it! So it makes it harder to buy new shoes when all that is available is stuff you don't like.

Yeah, I hear you there. That's what it is here too, those pointy 'things'. They frankly remind me of elf shoes. I guess they make them pointy so you can kick offending men with more force or something.

Have you ever heard of Earth shoes? I was shopping for my new position in the Middle East (I"d love to wear sandals every day, but Cornell's picky--no open-toed shoes at work) and tried on a pair. Very nice!

BTW, kia ora! Not a kiwi myself, regrettably, but want to immigrate to NZ eventually :smiley16:

DivingsInMyBlood
08-11-2007, 11:07
I only have a pair of work boots, a pair of cats which are too small for me, a pair of trainers and another pair of trainers to small for me.

Vercingetorix
08-12-2007, 12:17
I did not even want to attempt to read this thread,OK...so, why did you?:smiley2: Your actions contradict this statement. Therefore, your actions indicate, that you DID want to attempt to read this thread. Not only that, you even posted a comment.
anyone who starts a thread with a title like this is just asking for trouble in a sub forum dedicated to women.Actually, looking to start a discussion, not trouble. I don't look for trouble...trouble finds me...:smiley36:

As a guy, I just find women fascinating. We are all raised in the same social structure, yet the societal expectations and assumptions are so different between the genders. As a member of NOW, I've tried to educate myself on the significant issues and cast my vote as needed.

Every now and then, I like to look at the other, less significant issues of the other half of the human race. While I often pose questions to the women I know, such as my wife, I figured where better to ask a female populace at large, than in a sub-forum devoted to women issues.

Hence, my often, sometimes inflammatory, subject lines. I like to cause trouble...

94GTStang
08-12-2007, 17:09
I'm trying to figure out what my fiance's fascination with swimsuits and flip flops are

Vercingetorix
08-17-2007, 10:33
I'm trying to figure out what my fiance's fascination with swimsuits and flip flops areNot trying to be sexist, male chauvinist pig or anything, but if she looks good, then encourage her fascination. With the swimsuits that is, not the flip-flops. I will say no more; else bannination might ensue.

Skinsfan1311
08-17-2007, 11:16
I didn't realize how bad my wife was, about shoes, until we came back from a cruise one year, and she had an entire suitcase filled with shoes....

Vercingetorix
08-17-2007, 13:33
I didn't realize how bad my wife was, about shoes, until we came back from a cruise one year, and she had an entire suitcase filled with shoes....One of the signs of addiction; hiding the addiction from loved ones.:smiley36:

dallasdivergirl
08-17-2007, 14:23
going diving you need:

brown keens and black keens. They protect your toes from bumping into things and keeps your pedicure looking good.

ok you can add some thin little flip flops.:smiley20:

No suit case of shoes....

foo
08-17-2007, 21:02
Shoes are the only thing a woman can buy and keep throughout 15+ lb weight gain/loss/pregnancy/etc. I'm sure that's why I have so many they're spilling out of my closet!

J-Cub
08-19-2007, 17:24
My wife has a hard time getting rid of shoes that she doesn't wear.... then she buys more because she doesn't like the ones that she has.

I don't get it.

caroln
08-19-2007, 21:11
I have a ton of shoes, but most of them were bought before I started diving. Now I have something new to spend my money on that has taken precedence over my shoe fascination.

cgvmer
08-19-2007, 21:19
I guess I'm lucky my wifes travels with only a couple pairs of shoes.

Liv7301
08-19-2007, 22:50
I don't do much with shoes. I am a teacher so being on my feet all day means the cute kicky heels are a no-go. I live in Birkenstocks, have a few pair of dress shoes in essential colors, sneakers, and flip flops for diving.

foo
08-20-2007, 00:14
My wife has a hard time getting rid of shoes that she doesn't wear.... then she buys more because she doesn't like the ones that she has.

I don't get it.

I do.

namabiru
08-20-2007, 20:24
I don't do much with shoes. I am a teacher so being on my feet all day means the cute kicky heels are a no-go. I live in Birkenstocks, have a few pair of dress shoes in essential colors, sneakers, and flip flops for diving.

Ooh, I hear you there. I love birks. You know, I would rather spend more money and get a good quality pair of shoes than spend very little and have something that will fall apart in the first 6 months.

When I taught in Japan, you have indoor shoes. So I got to wear really inexpensive massage sandals, I think they're called soccer slides or something. I loved them. I would wear them at my next gig, if it weren't for the 'no open-toed shoes' rule.

I don't know about clogs, though. I may have to get some birkenstock clogs.

ScubaJenn81
08-21-2007, 12:51
I love to go shoe shopping, but I never buy any. I LIVE in sneakers and when I do have to dress up, my feet hurt in about 45 seconds. Dress shoes are so pretty though, they just hurt like heck.

Vercingetorix
08-21-2007, 14:32
I love to go shoe shopping, but I never buy any. I LIVE in sneakers and when I do have to dress up, my feet hurt in about 45 seconds. Dress shoes are so pretty though, they just hurt like heck.Woody Allen attends the most formal of events wearing a tuxedo and sneakers. If it's good enough for him...

scubak
08-23-2007, 20:28
Shoes can sometimes be considered a girl's best friend. I have so many pairs, most of them heels and flip flops. I guess you can say I have a shoe fettish. :)
Do unto others and you would have them do unto you

diverkatie
08-23-2007, 20:33
I always have to chuckle at my friends who have millions of pairs of heels...I have lots of shoes - a LOT of them are casual, though. Since it's Texas and it gets REALLY hot, I have open-toed shoes for work in the summer (thus the need to paint the toe-nails...), closed toe shoes for the "winter" - and that makes 4 pair (2 black, 2 brown)...But, then I have 2 pr of Crocs, 2 pr of Keens, 3 pr of Merrells, a few pr of Clarks...LOTS of flip-flops...Probably almost 40 pair...

My mom is a dress shoe junkie, and she just doesn't understand me and my casual shoe obession :)

But, I did just go on a cruise, and I only took 4 pairs of shoes (the pair I wore on the plane, and 3 others).

MelC
08-27-2007, 09:13
I have a lot of shoes too but not for work. For work I buy the same pair of shoes in three different colours once every five years (under thirty a pair) from the Bass Outlet. Casual, however....let's just say I have a teeny tiny problem with one manufacturer (Keen). They don't have a twelve step program for it yet though so I am going to revel in my addiction.

Mel

dallasdivergirl
08-27-2007, 09:23
It's good to know that there is a fellow addict around.

I don't tell anyone how many pair I have. I even got one of my niece's addicted and we wear the same size!:smiley20:

I have a lot of shoes too but not for work. For work I buy the same pair of shoes in three different colours once every five years (under thirty a pair) from the Bass Outlet. Casual, however....let's just say I have a teeny tiny problem with one manufacturer (Keen). They don't have a twelve step program for it yet though so I am going to revel in my addiction.

Mel

savannahbell
08-27-2007, 19:04
Well I could not even begin to count how many I have. Way too many to say. They drive the hubby crazy. :)

scuba Widow
09-01-2007, 12:44
I have a few pairs of shoes but only work 2, my shoes for work and my flip flops during the summer.

Anne Eastwell
10-31-2007, 23:59
I only have a pair of work boots, a pair of cats which are too small for me, a pair of trainers and another pair of trainers to small for me.

Kinda begs the question.... why have shoes that are too small for you????:confused:

Anne Eastwell
11-01-2007, 00:05

Here you go, Harshal.

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

Ditto!!!! :smilie39::smilie39::smilie39: Very funny!

BuzzF117
11-01-2007, 10:04
FLip Flops are the most disgusting piece of footwear ever created!!!! Unless your on the beach or at the pool.

nuf said

Charlotte Smith
11-01-2007, 10:10
Disgusting or not...I have every color of reef and croc sandals that they make........

marchand
11-01-2007, 15:50
I have a pair of tennis shoes, jungle boots, and dress shoes. I also have a pair of worn out shoes just in case I get the tennis shoes soaked.

Why do women need twenty pairs of shoes?

Anne Eastwell
11-01-2007, 17:52
We need different shoes to go with the mood, the weather, the outfit, the hair colour, the lipstick, the nail polish.... who cares why, we just do!

I've got 5 pairs of boots (dressy and casual), about 6 pairs of slip-ons (dressy and casual), about 4 pairs of closed in high heels, 2 pairs of evening shoes, 3 pairs of runners in varying degrees of worn out, and a pair of flip flops (we call 'em thongs!), a pair of long ugg boots, a pair of short ugg boots and even then I've probably left some out.....

That sounds really bad when you list them like that! Oh well, my shoes last years so I get a lot of wear out of everything.:clap:

marchand
11-01-2007, 19:22
My shoes rarely last longer than a year, but I wear the same pair every day instead of every other week so that is probably why your's last so long.

pnevai
11-01-2007, 20:15
It gets easier the longer you are married. Women need at least 4 pairs of shoes to match what ever they are wearing that day.

1 pair that are really comfortable but are nice so they do nto want to wear them out too fast. (Women can rarely find the same shoe even a week after buying them so this is important)

1 pair of pair of sexy high heels for those times when she feels like making a statement, and to remind you one of the reasons you married her

1 pair of disposable wear them till they fall apart shoes for everyday use (Supermarket, Dropping the kids off at daycare, working in the garden etc)

1 pair that is the emergency alternate.

Now this basic 4 pairs have to be stocked in the approproiate colors and materials to coordinate with what she happens to be wearing that day. So if you take the most common colors in womens shoes you have Black, White, Brown or Tan, Red and one optional color of the day and you will soon see that for one outfit the minimum requirement is 9 pairs of shoes. NOw multiply that by the different number of outfits in her closet and you can make a rough estimate of just how many there are. This does not include sneakers and other athletic apparel

Scuba Steve
11-01-2007, 21:26
I had to dedicate an entire closet to my fiance's shoes and we're not even married yet! I figure that I might as well get used to it now because her collection will continue to grow whether or not I like it. But it's and exchange for all my sport equipment.

couped243
11-02-2007, 07:09
I don't know but I like shoes too. From Timberland boots to dressy lizard skins I must have 30 pr of shoes. Browns, blacks, drk blues, greys. It's great to be able to coordinate. Also when your paying good money for a pair of shoes it's nice to have options so that they last a long time. And by the way not all mens feet stink or are hairy..LOL Pedicures every two weeks are nice as well...Can't wait to get out of here I need one!!!hahaha

Tableleg
11-02-2007, 12:41
Why do women need twenty pairs of shoes? You can not apply reason to anything as illogical as women. You're head would explode before you ever come close to understanding. :smiley36:

cyclone
11-03-2007, 01:53
Bwa hahaha:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39: I try to ask my wife and explain to her that would it be better if we save money for a new scuba computer wrist console.:smiley20: Good thing she hates hoses and she agreed.:smiley20:

quasimoto
11-03-2007, 15:39
We need different shoes to go with the mood, the weather, the outfit, the hair colour, the lipstick, the nail polish.... who cares why, we just do!

Couldn't have said it better. I don't think we need a reason to have 20 pairs of shoes. Shoes are like cats...you can never have too many.

missnumnutz
11-04-2007, 19:58
i have 40+ pairs.. at least... i havent counted really

Anne Eastwell
11-05-2007, 15:44
It gets easier the longer you are married. Women need at least 4 pairs of shoes to match what ever they are wearing that day.

1 pair that are really comfortable but are nice so they do nto want to wear them out too fast. (Women can rarely find the same shoe even a week after buying them so this is important)

1 pair of pair of sexy high heels for those times when she feels like making a statement, and to remind you one of the reasons you married her

1 pair of disposable wear them till they fall apart shoes for everyday use (Supermarket, Dropping the kids off at daycare, working in the garden etc)

1 pair that is the emergency alternate.

Now this basic 4 pairs have to be stocked in the approproiate colors and materials to coordinate with what she happens to be wearing that day. So if you take the most common colors in womens shoes you have Black, White, Brown or Tan, Red and one optional color of the day and you will soon see that for one outfit the minimum requirement is 9 pairs of shoes. NOw multiply that by the different number of outfits in her closet and you can make a rough estimate of just how many there are. This does not include sneakers and other athletic apparel

You're a genius!!!

MysteryGirl
11-17-2007, 19:33
Who wears those. Anyone who's really into shoes knows that a great pair of Manolo's or Choo's are over the $500 range - that's why I pack them all in my carry on luggage in case the rest is lost. A nice carry on can hold 15 pairs for a week of fun.

skippy11
11-18-2007, 09:33
I have tons of shoes, too. I am truely a pack rat. I buy new shoes almost every season, and have a hard time throwing things away; until my closet is so full I am forced to. My husband thinks I'm crazy, but he's been around long enough not to ask, when are you gonna get rid of something, anymore. :smiley20:

Before I got married...It was Worse! Now I spend most of my money on Scuba Gear and Kiddos. :smiley20:

Streamline
02-10-2008, 20:58

I don't get it.

Just like men and their underwear ... :smilie39: