PDA

View Full Version : Scoliosis and Scuba Diving....

TxScubaBear
08-10-2007, 08:45
is it possible? Can it be done?
I thought I'd post here and see what some vets have to say; maybe we have some divers that have scoliosis and can enlighten me.
I have a 27 yo daughter just aching to learn scuba so she can dive with her dad, she had scoliosis and had rods put in her back when she was about 8 or so.
So c'mon y'all, help a dad out here...is there hope??
and THANK YOU!!

thor
08-10-2007, 09:04
I'M NO DOCTOR (disclaimer), but I guess it depends on how severe and how much risk you (or your daughter) are willing to take . I would imagine that most of the problems would arise on the surface, and not in the water (ie. putting on the tank and BC.) I would have hope. People can modify anything. I have a parapalegic friend who skis. Scuba with scoliosis seems possible. What does her doc say?

thesmoothdome
08-11-2007, 11:25
Even though I have a few thoughts about how to provide the extra support that may be needed to make her successful, I'm going to keep them to myself because I don't know the extent of the scoliosis.

What I will say is that you should call DAN and ask their opinion. 1-800-446-2671. While they're not the end all answer, they have a lot more knowledge to draw from than most of us.

Splitlip
08-11-2007, 12:11
Maybe ask Doc (bottom of the page)

http://awoosh.com/Doc%20Vikingo's%20Resource%20Page/Doc%20Vikingo%20Index.htm