PDA

View Full Version : Diving with a broken rib

bamafan
07-21-2008, 09:13
Anyone had experience diving with a broken rib? I broke one while skiing this weekend. Bad thing is my wife and I are leaving for Belize on Thursday. Hope there is some good news out there!!

Thanks

Ryanh1801
07-21-2008, 09:19
I know when I have had broken ribs their is no way I would have been able to dive. The biggest issue I can see is, if you can not take in full breaths. You might be hyperventilating under water. Might want to see a doc. about it before your trip.

No Misses
07-21-2008, 09:28
I have had broken ribs. My answer is no diving. You will not be able to breathe deeply (CO2 build up?). Good luck getting into a wetsuit. How do you think that it will feel climbing up that ladder with 40-50 lbs on your back? Remember that boats are not stable platforms. Every wave that you hit will be misery. Don't forget all of those little stabilizer muscles that make standing on a rocking boat possible.

I'm sorry, to be the bearer of bad news. You should try to reschedule the trip. IMHO

wgt
07-21-2008, 09:44
I have had broken ribs. My answer is no diving. You will not be able to breathe deeply (CO2 build up?). Good luck getting into a wetsuit. How do you think that it will feel climbing up that ladder with 40-50 lbs on your back? Remember that boats are not stable platforms. Every wave that you hit will be misery. Don't forget all of those little stabilizer muscles that make standing on a rocking boat possible.

I'm sorry, to be the bearer of bad news. You should try to reschedule the trip. IMHO

Apart from discomfort and respiratory issues, there is speculation that injuries may alter dynamics of on-gassing and off-gassing, possibly reflecting damaged blood vessels and inflammatory responses. A break may thus render the injured diver more vulnerable to decompression sickness. Also, a concomitent traumatic physical injury (e.g., broken rib) might greatly complicate the diagnosis of decompression sickness.

I would follow the advice from No Misses, in this case. Diving is perhaps best postponed until good health is assured.

scubasavvy
07-21-2008, 10:06
I don't think with the pressure changes that diving would be a good thing. God forbid you're down 60-70 feet and you puncture a lung or something crazy. I'd say no, sorry...

Defman
07-21-2008, 10:10
I'd be asking a doctor, not us...

Any chance you bought insurance for that trip? You might be able to get a refund or reschedule if you did.

Karletto
07-21-2008, 10:17
with the suit, bottles and all the gear squba divers need, i bet u'll not be able to leave the boat/ coast couse of the pain (:smiley2:)

mchain
07-21-2008, 10:19
Man, that stinks. Regardless of whether it's safe or not it surely will not be enjoyable. I hope you can reschedule.

Rileybri
07-21-2008, 10:46
BIggest mistake I ever made around an ingury was trying to guide a white water rafting trip on class IV-V rapids! FYI not a good idea!!! Just trying to sit o nthe raft was causing extream discomfort! I cant even begin to fathom trying to dive with one! good luck with it and the trip. If you decide to give it a go bring along a ****e tun of sports tape and give your ribs a good tayping....Check with your doc and DAN.......

bamafan
07-21-2008, 11:17
Thanks for the comments. I just got done seeing the doctow and he said that it is OK to dive with the rib fracture. I have a non-displaced rib fracture, which is different from the displaced kind. I can breath in deeply with out a problem or pain. I get a muscle spasm occassionaly that causes the pain. The Doc just recommended no deep diving. Also suggested putting on and taking off BC in the water.

comet24
07-21-2008, 11:21
I would give DAN a call. Besides that I think just the requirements of diving will be very uncomfortable. Getting in and out of the boat and putting on a wetsuit.

aggie99
07-21-2008, 11:25
Anyone had experience diving with a broken rib? I broke one while skiing this weekend. Bad thing is my wife and I are leaving for Belize on Thursday. Hope there is some good news out there!!

Thanks

I ripped a tendin in my wrist snowboarding this past winter and was in a cast for 12 weeks, luckily I didn't have any scheduled diving but it sucked beig out of the water that long. I now look at any activity as a 'Risk-Return'. Does the risk of doing this activity and potentially not diving yield a greater return than the enjoyment I would have? I must admit that list is getting very short.

in_cavediver
07-21-2008, 17:24
I would give DAN a call. Besides that I think just the requirements of diving will be very uncomfortable. Getting in and out of the boat and putting on a wetsuit.

I have to really concur with this. Call DAN. Most doctors aren't experts on diving and consider it like other casual exercise which its not.

DAN Divers Alert Network (http://www.dan.org/medical/faq/faq.aspx?faqid=140)

I am not a doctor but gut tells me a fracture (even non-separated) of a rib that hasn't healed is a danger to fracture and separate possibly causing pulmonary issues. It also throws red flags about blood flow and DCI issues. (let alone a LOT of pain).

With that, is a few dives now worth the risk of never diving/flying again?

If you haven't heard - call DAN. They are diving physicians, trained and experienced in hyperbaric medicine. The can give you good advice.

buddhasummer
07-22-2008, 05:36
I broke 3 ribs snowboarding a couple of years ago and there was no way I could have even considered diving even breathing normally hurt, I would have to agree with others you need to contact the professionals and ask them, I think youd be better to sit it out I mean all you need to do is knock it a little whilst diving and you could be in a lot of trouble eh...ask DAN...good luck, bummer with the timing...

scubamarc
07-22-2008, 12:34
I dove with fractured ribs a few months ago from a roller hockey injury. My buddies did a lot of the heavy lifting for me. On the 1st few dives I felt pressure against my ribs on from the outside. Not painful, just aches. that got much better as the week went by.

I noticed I was more limber after the dive so I wonder if the pressure helped removed the swollen tissue. Also I had some bad black and blues, and after the week was over they were mostly gone. So again, does pressure affect this.

BTW, I was very cautious on the first dive and would not have dove if I saw any risks.

bamafan
07-23-2008, 09:04
Thanks scubamarc. I have sent in a request to DAN for their opinion. It's been a week since I FX the rib and there is hardly any discomfort. I have spoken with others that have dove with FX ribs and the experiences were much the same. Thanks to everyone for responding....can't wait to get on that plane tomorrow!!!!

h2odragon1
07-23-2008, 09:51
Off-hand NO!!
call DAN, they may say NO

bamafan
07-23-2008, 10:29
The following is DAN's response. Looks I should be good to go!!!:smiley20:
Dear Daniel;

A rib fracture is something that will only heal with time and rest. Complete immobilization is obviously not an option, and you were surely explained that the more you move around, the less opportunity for healing –at least theoretically-.

On the other hand, we must state that is generally not recommended to dive with any acute inflammatory process. Perfusion is radically altered in these areas; hence, inert gas exchange might be impaired as well. We certainly can’t state that you might be under an increased risk for DCI because there is no scientific evidence to support that, but there is no way to make any prediction to state that you won’t have any increased risk either.

As for a depth limitation, theoretically, the shallower you dive the less on-gassing, but extended dives at shallow depths might pose a considerable risk for DCS as well.

Please consider also your buddy’s safety. You need to be sure you will be able to assist your dive buddy in case he is the one needing assistance.

Having said that, we must say that this is a decision that is up to you; and if your treating physician says you will be fine, there’s probably no reason to think you shouldn’t. He surely knows your case fairly well.

Please let us know if there’s anything else we could do for you.

Thank you for your email and for your membership support, Daniel.

Matías Nochetto, MD
DAN Medical Services Department
Latin America Medical Coordinator
mnochetto@dan.duke.edu
(+1 919) 684 2948 x235
Toll Free +1 800 446 2671 x235
6 West Colony Place
Durham, NC. 27705 USA

SlvrDragon50
07-23-2008, 18:57
Pretty cool then!

Have fun!

Personally, I wouldn't want to dive with any injury, but thats because im conservative..

cummings66
07-25-2008, 08:27
If you get Internet access there post back what happened, I'm curious as to whether or not you dived and had fun or pain.

harb99
07-25-2008, 09:08
If you get Internet access there post back what happened, I'm curious as to whether or not you dived and had fun or pain.

i'm curious as well - wonder how it is going for him

roofless
07-25-2008, 10:05
My dive buddy has a broken coccyx & we're scheduled to leave in less than 2 weeks. I was going to do all of the heavy lifting & have them remove their tank/b.c. while in the water. The boat ride to the site over choppy waters might be too much for them to bare however.