PDA

View Full Version : Touching Story.

mwhities
08-10-2007, 10:26
http://www.miamiherald.com/627/story/197292.html

http://www.diveheart.org/

Being handicapped myself, I really relate and love this stories. I just wish I had the means ($$$) to go and volunteer my time to be part of a wonderful organization.

Michael

dallasdivergirl
08-10-2007, 10:54
That's a very touching story. I will have to check this out.

When I was in Belize, we dove with a guy who had survived a terrible car accident and he really enjoyed diving. You could see the change in him in the water vs. land.

Foo2
08-10-2007, 10:58
That is so cool Michael! Just a few weeks ago I saw a special on the news, it may have been Good Morning America, about a similar program for disabled war vets. It was really cool to see these men & women excited to be able to dive. What a cool sport we are all involved in!

Centerius
08-10-2007, 15:14
That's really cool of them to do that. When I saw that they went to Key Largo, I wasn't surprised that they used Captain Slate's Atlantis Dive Center -- Slate seems to be a really cool and generous guy, and his crew is outstanding.

Disneymom
08-10-2007, 22:41
That's a great story, Michael - thanks for sharing. Going to have to check out this organization!

Osprey
08-11-2007, 09:46
Really awesome! I'm glad more people are getting involved too, what a great thing!

thesmoothdome
08-11-2007, 11:36
That's nice to see. Years ago, when I working for a North County shop, we'd run discover scuba classes for those with physical and mental disabilities. I have never had more of a rewarding experience than that. It's awesome!

plot
08-11-2007, 20:59
I used to dive with a one legged guy... last dive trip he went on, he had a heart attack (out of the water, before doing any diving actually)... didn't make it. :(

the gooch
08-11-2007, 23:14
i was touched by a story run on a similar organization a while ago and emailed the people involved since they seem to come down to Key Largo a lot. I let them know that I would be more than willing to donate my time and any extra gear I had to help out and they said they will keep me on a mailing list to let me know the next time they are in my neck of the woods (Miami/Keys).

Mwhities---if I may ask, how are you disabled (or whatever the correct term is---I apologize if I am being insensitive)

mwhities
08-11-2007, 23:22
Mwhities---if I may ask, how are you disabled (or whatever the correct term is---I apologize if I am being insensitive)

You may.... not insensitive at all...

I lost my left arm in a machine called a water extractor. (Think of a washing machine on spin cycle.) I lost my balance over the machine, put my left hand down to catch my balance, it slipped in and twisted my arm off.

Fun! Not. ;)

Michael

the gooch
08-12-2007, 00:10
Thank you for sharing. If you are aware of any organizations that need assistance/volunteers in my area (or any area for that matter) please let me/us know.