PDA

View Full Version : Padi OW ----Then NAUI Advanced?

Staggs
07-21-2008, 09:38
Hey Guys,

I got my Padi OW cert this weekend, and do to issues with the LDS I got my OW cert in, i'm switching shops to finish my learning. The new shop does Naui certification, and said since I'm Padi OW cert, I can do the NAUI Adv/Nitrox.

Is there any reason at all I shouldn't cross over from Padi to Naui? From what I read it's just the differance of your card saying Padi or Naui :)

Vercingetorix
07-21-2008, 10:28
Congrats on the OW!!!!:smiley32::smiley32::smiley32:

There is no problem switching. Only difference is that NAUI requires a rescue dive with every diver certification. I've got NAUI OW/AOW/Rescue from ST. NAUI mandatory AOW dives: Night, Deep, Nav. Plus 3 more elective dives plus the Snorkel Rescue dive. My three electives were: scooter, search & recovery w/liftbag, wreck survey (non-penetration)

Now, go buy gear....

Staggs
07-21-2008, 11:41
Congrats on the OW!!!!:smiley32::smiley32::smiley32:

There is no problem switching. Only difference is that NAUI requires a rescue dive with every diver certification. I've got NAUI OW/AOW/Rescue from ST. NAUI mandatory AOW dives: Night, Deep, Nav. Plus 3 more elective dives plus the Snorkel Rescue dive. My three electives were: scooter, search & recovery w/liftbag, wreck survey (non-penetration)

Now, go buy gear....

Good deal, btw we already started loading up on gear from ST :)

Don Wray
07-21-2008, 17:45
There should be no issues crossing over...have a great time and enjoy your training.

Athena2c
07-21-2008, 21:09
Nope, no reason not to switch. I have certs from both NAUI (OW & Rescue) and PADI (AOW & Enriched Air Diver) and it has worked just fine. In my experience it was more about the instructor and convenience of the class (long story, but I would NOT take another class from my OW instructor, which was the reason for the original switch).

Puffer Fish
07-21-2008, 22:02
No issue at all, my first certs were with PADI...

Hey Guys,

I got my Padi OW cert this weekend, and do to issues with the LDS I got my OW cert in, i'm switching shops to finish my learning. The new shop does Naui certification, and said since I'm Padi OW cert, I can do the NAUI Adv/Nitrox.

Is there any reason at all I shouldn't cross over from Padi to Naui? From what I read it's just the differance of your card saying Padi or Naui :)

mchain
07-21-2008, 23:10
I received my openwater from SSI and my advanced from PADI. I had no issues with that. I like the idea of experiencing different agencies.

digitalman
07-22-2008, 12:11
I received my openwater from SSI and my advanced from PADI. I had no issues with that. I like the idea of experiencing different agencies.
I took that a step farther and got OW with PADI and NAUI (from the same shop) to check out the differences in the same cert. level.

Differences I noticed:
1. NAUI's written test was harder.
2. NAUI required a rescue dive during the OW portion.
3. NAUI required additional pool skills (underwater & mask/fin/snorkel swimming distance tests).
4. The quarry I did my PADI OW in was only 25 ft deep, so I had to finish my NAUI OW in a deeper quarry because there is a minimum of 40?? ft depth required for at least one of the NAUI dives.

Other than that, both cards get me into the quarry's. Both cards let me buy air. They were both good training programs in my opinion. I'm doing my specialities through PADI to get my Master Diver requirements of 5 specialities + Rescue. I'm planning on taking the NAUI master diver class as well. Not sure which path I'll take for DM/AI.

mchain
07-22-2008, 17:18
I took that a step farther and got OW with PADI and NAUI (from the same shop) to check out the differences in the same cert. level.

Differences I noticed:
1. NAUI's written test was harder.
2. NAUI required a rescue dive during the OW portion.
3. NAUI required additional pool skills (underwater & mask/fin/snorkel swimming distance tests).
4. The quarry I did my PADI OW in was only 25 ft deep, so I had to finish my NAUI OW in a deeper quarry because there is a minimum of 40?? ft depth required for at least one of the NAUI dives.

Other than that, both cards get me into the quarry's. Both cards let me buy air. They were both good training programs in my opinion. I'm doing my specialities through PADI to get my Master Diver requirements of 5 specialities + Rescue. I'm planning on taking the NAUI master diver class as well. Not sure which path I'll take for DM/AI.

Hmm... that's really interesting. I never thought of taking a comparable class from different agencies for comparison. Thanks for posting differences noted.

On another note, you mentioned getting your Master Diver card and also DM. If you are considering going pro, is there any reason to do master diver? I have never thought about doing both before and since you have already made me think outside the box once already today I thought I would get your perspective.

mselizann
07-23-2008, 07:55
My OW was NAUI........then my AOW and specialties are PADI

Vercingetorix
07-23-2008, 08:22
4. The quarry I did my PADI OW in was only 25 ft deep, so I had to finish my NAUI OW in a deeper quarry because there is a minimum of 40?? ft depth required for at least one of the NAUI dives.No such requirement. I'm NAUI certed. Deepest we got was 20 feet.

Master for PADI requires the five specialties that you mention, but no academics. Master for NAUI is all the academics of the DM or Instructor program without the student supervision requirement.

I like that you went both PADI and NAUI to compare the differences.:smiley20:

violakat03
07-23-2008, 19:26
My OW (and AOW, soon) came from SSI. I'm intending to take Rescue from both SSI and one other agency, either PADI or NAUI. Since I'm intending to go all the way to instructor eventually, I want to make doubly sure that I am comfortable with a rescue situation. It's one of those things that you can never have too much training in, IMO. I will probably get instructor certified with PADI and SSI.

awb
07-23-2008, 22:09
yes NAUI does require a planned 40 ft. dive but the instructor has the ability to say no if conditions are bad, VIS. etc.

4. The quarry I did my PADI OW in was only 25 ft deep, so I had to finish my NAUI OW in a deeper quarry because there is a minimum of 40?? ft depth required for at least one of the NAUI dives.No such requirement. I'm NAUI certed. Deepest we got was 20 feet.

Master for PADI requires the five specialties that you mention, but no academics. Master for NAUI is all the academics of the DM or Instructor program without the student supervision requirement.

I like that you went both PADI and NAUI to compare the differences.:smiley20:

Staggs
07-28-2008, 11:47
Got my AOW, and Nitrox Certs this weekend. Ended up going down to an old dynamite shack around 63ft for the deep dive. Was pretty cool.

waytooslow
07-28-2008, 12:24
..............I'm NAUI certed. Deepest we got was 20 feet..............

So you did not make 40' ? pull that man's card :smiley2:

dogseatmayo
08-02-2008, 14:37
there is no reason why you shouldn't switch

(except padi is better):smiley2:

Heavy D
08-30-2008, 13:45
Both agencies recognize each others certs so crossing over isn't a big deal. I've gotten certs with both and my personal preference is NAUI because I like their training requirements better. One example is for OW, NAUI requires a 400m swim that wasn't a requirement for PADI when I got my OW with them. Of course a lot of this will be dependent on the instructor because any instructor can say a requirement was completed whether it was or not. That is one reason that I love my LDS. If a certain level of cert says that you are able to do something then you ARE going to do it for your cert. For example, if you are getting your AOW and it says you can dive to 130', then you are going to 130' or as close to it as water depth will allow.