PDA

View Full Version : Deciding on course length

Jord
07-21-2008, 11:47
Hey guys. My father and I are going to take a course to get our scuba certification soon (we've done Discover SCUBA), I would be getting my Junior OW and him OW. We go to the beach a lot because we have a place by one. This leaves almost no time to do anything else. So, my father and I want to do a 3 day course or a private course that works around your schedule, although most people say that courses over weeks are the way to go. Any opinions?

Also, has anyone done the 3day course?

digitalman
07-21-2008, 12:14
Hey guys. My father and I are going to take a course to get our scuba certification soon (we've done Discover SCUBA), I would be getting my Junior OW and him OW. We go to the beach a lot because we have a place by one. This leaves almost no time to do anything else. So, my father and I want to do a 3 day course or a private course that works around your schedule, although most people say that courses over weeks are the way to go. Any opinions?

If you've already done Discover SCUBA, a weekend class will do you fine. The Discover class will be reinforced by what you'll learn in the OW class so everything won't be brand new to you. You'll learn the same things in a 3 day or a 4 day course, it's just that more is covered in a single session to shorten the number of classes. The actual amount of pool time and classroom time has minimums set by PADI, so you'll not be missing out on anything. A question for you though...why not just do a regular class rather than a 3 day class?

Jord
07-21-2008, 12:21
Thanks for the input.

Good question..and the answer is because the summer for me so far hasn't been too good. We have a shorehouse with friends down there but we've only used it for about a week the whole month of July, meaning a week out of a month and a half possibility. When I go down there, I don't want to have to drive an hour and a half home for a day to take a scuba class, plus there are no LDS's near there, so it is just easier to do the 3 day home and get it overwith and then be able to go back to our shorehouse for good and maybe even dive every now and then down there.

dogseatmayo
07-22-2008, 15:31
3 day courses are fine, as long as you think you can move that fast. me and my dad did a 3 day wekend course with checkout dives a few weeks later. it wasn't really that hard and because you did the discover scuba dives you'll probably do fine

CompuDude
07-22-2008, 15:55
A lot of people come out of 3-day courses feeling very rushed and inadequately trained. As a result, they're not very comfortable diving without a DM or instructor, and very often do not continue diving.

However, if you've already completed a discover scuba class and didn't have any problems, and feel like you are very comfortable in the water and motivated to dive, chances are you'll do fine with a shorter course.

EuphoriaII
07-24-2008, 08:47
I think it also depends on your comfort level and how quickly you can master the skills. Some people are still not adequately prepared to dive after a 3 week certification course. Others can pick it up much more quickly. My son was bored with the 3 week course and probably would have been fine with a weekend course (he had practiced mask clearing and several of the other skills in our pool prior to taking the class).
If you've already had discover scuba, you know what you are getting into then a weekend course wold probably be ok for you.

Don Wray
07-24-2008, 14:31
Here is the deal...if you are competent in self study, able to comprehend the information, actually do the knowledge reviews without worrying you answered wrong, the weekend course is fine. The way it is set up, you spend your time watching the video, studying the material, and less time in the class room, more time in the pool. If you prefer, study the material and listen to someone repeat what you've read and then the pool, it takes more time. It's up to the student.

sravin1
07-26-2008, 01:44
If you have a YMCA nearby that offers a course and if you have the time, take it. It is a 10 week course meeting once every week for an hour and a half of class room and an equal amount of time in the pool. They teach you a lot more than the requirements and after that when you dive, you will definately appreciate the quality of training.

Lulubelle
07-28-2008, 21:29
Hi Jord,

I did a 3 day course (inclusive of all of my theory, pool time, and OW dives) and it was just great for me. I was one on one with the instructor for the theory and pool work. I felt very prepared to go to the ocean. It doesn't hurt that my background is in science, so I "get" this stuff. Nor does it hurt that I grew up fighting the riptides of the Atlantic. So know yourself, and your dad, and what you comfort in the water is likely to be. When I did the Discover class the year prior, there was a young guy and his dad from the midwest. Didn't go so well in the ocean, but I think it was more about being uncomfortable in the ocean, and not so much the diving.

Good luck

freeski4ever
07-30-2008, 01:19
I agree with Lulubelle. It's all about being comfortable in your surroundings.

Lulubelle
07-30-2008, 09:32
Hi freeski4ever,

So nice to have someone agree with me, has been a week of everyone not agreeing with me!

I have a pair of jump wings, not earned in the proper manner of course.

csterling95
08-14-2008, 15:45
the course length is as long as it takes you for most dive shops.....:icon_biggrin:

mp4
08-17-2008, 21:27
The course length (in my opinion) has less to do with your qualification than the effort you put into your own training - and it shouldn't end once class is over. Plan on spending 25 dives or so before the things you were taught in class start to click....that was my experience anyway.

Jord
08-26-2008, 23:00
I haven't been on in a while, sorry, and thanks for all the input, but I just wanted to say me and my dad are both SDI Open Water certified now (well, I'm Jr Certified) :)