PDA

View Full Version : Zeagle Ranger Weight Capacity

scubasavvy
07-22-2008, 16:51
Hi kids,

I did a dive this weekend and I had completely forgotten what the weight capacity was on the Ranger. The Zeagle website says the capacity is 30 pounds with the ripcord system. Leisurepro says 40 pounds. I'm inclined to believe the Zeagle website over Leisurepro, but can someone clarify what it is just to be sure?

WaScubaDude
07-22-2008, 17:32
I have 34lb soft weight in the yellow weight bags in mine and they are pretty full. May want to add rear trim weight pockets if you need more.

ScubaToys Larry
07-22-2008, 18:35
I would not run more than 10 on each side, and 3-5 on each rear pocket...

If you need that much weight, I'd suggest putting on a belt with about 12 lbs, then split the rest up on the BC. And that would be a lot of weight. I'm 6'4" and I was diving in Australia in a 7 mil suit using 18 lbs with an aluminum tank and standard BC.

Mtrewyn
07-22-2008, 19:14
That does seem like a lot of weight! what did you need that much for?

scubasavvy
07-22-2008, 19:43
That does seem like a lot of weight! what did you need that much for?

I only had 24 pounds of weight on, which wasn't that much. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't overloading anything. I put 10 in each weight pocket and then I put 2 in each zippered pocked. I ordered some trip weight pouches that I'm waiting on.

character157
07-22-2008, 21:06
I can see needing 24...I dove with a guy wearing a two piece 7mm with gloves and hood and he took 24 with a steel tank.

blewgrass
01-07-2009, 09:32

If you need that much weight, I'd suggest putting on a belt with about 12 lbs, then split the rest up on the BC. And that would be a lot of weight. I'm 6'4" and I was diving in Australia in a 7 mil suit using 18 lbs with an aluminum tank and standard BC.

That's interesting. I wonder why the yellow "thingies" hold 18 pounds each. My most recent dive I ran 13 lbs in each pocket and a 5 on the tank strap. (not a zeagle weight pocket, unfortunately) I was feeling better about my trim but I think the rear pockets are in order.

Ideally I would like to reduce my total weight. I may try to keep removing small amounts of weight. Initially I sink slowly, but once at depth I seem to have to constantly inflate. Perhaps my problem is initially getting air out of the bc to descend.

fisheater
01-07-2009, 12:09

That's interesting. I wonder why the yellow "thingies" hold 18 pounds each. My most recent dive I ran 13 lbs in each pocket and a 5 on the tank strap. (not a zeagle weight pocket, unfortunately) I was feeling better about my trim but I think the rear pockets are in order.

Ideally I would like to reduce my total weight. I may try to keep removing small amounts of weight. Initially I sink slowly, but once at depth I seem to have to constantly inflate. Perhaps my problem is initially getting air out of the bc to descend.

While you could have all that weight in the BC, Larry is suggesting an easier approach. I agree.

I started off with a bit more than 40 lbs of lead, distributed between the front and rear weight pockets. The Zeagle could handle it just fine. I couldn't. (Even now that I've "trimmed" my weight to 38 lbs.)

With a steel 120, the rig weighed too much to lift off of the ground without risking permanent back injury and, if I'd needed to ditch and don underwater, all of my weight would have been in the BC and all my buoyancy in my wetsuit. I did that as a drill once and saw (and felt) the dangers involved.

Now, I put 20 lbs. on a rubber weight belt and the rest in the BC. It's MUCH easier to lift the rig and there's not a dramatic buoyancy difference between me and the scuba unit for an underwater ditch and don.

Surprisingly, there's NO DIFFERENCE IN COMFORT. I'd expected the weight belt to interfere with the legendary Zeagle comfort. It doesn't.

Mtrewyn
01-07-2009, 17:50
I can see needing 24...I dove with a guy wearing a two piece 7mm with gloves and hood and he took 24 with a steel tank.

I was on a dive not too long ago with the shop that I am dealing with and one of the divers said they needed around 40lbs, we all thought that very odd, but let the dive leader work it out, the buddy team started around 15, she did not sink, raised her up to 25, still not sinking, went to 30, than one of the other diver in the group, noticed that she were kicking, as in swimming up, well yes she would need as much weight she could hold up with the fins, once that was worked out, and it took a while, she ended up needing 10lbs, go figure....

diversteve
01-08-2009, 00:19
I wonder why the yellow "thingies" hold 18 pounds each.
I believe it's because the backplate with Ripcord option takes 36# max - 18# per side.

So it's probably that they don't want to make a third pocket size.

fwiw, for all of their "heavy duty" line and most of their recreational models as well:

Weight capacity:
30 lb Ripcord System
20 lb Rear weight

01-08-2009, 00:37
Hi kids,

I did a dive this weekend and I had completely forgotten what the weight capacity was on the Ranger. The Zeagle website says the capacity is 30 pounds with the ripcord system. Leisurepro says 40 pounds. I'm inclined to believe the Zeagle website over Leisurepro, but can someone clarify what it is just to be sure?

Hey, what is a "Leisurepro"?

diversteve
01-08-2009, 00:45
www.leisurepro.com (http://www.leisurepro.com) - one of the other - and likely the largest online retailer. Before you get too excited by their prices, understand that they offer only their own warranty on deeply discounted stuff that they acquire through non-traditional means. Generally that can mean overstocks, buying closed diveops inventory, from overseas distributors and from what I've heard - some mfr's sell direct to them also - it's just not widely publicized.

Otoh, since they're an licensed Oceanic dealer, their Oceanic line is priced at what everybody else sells it for. I believe they're a Zeagle dealer now also.

IMO they're a good option for softgoods. I've bought fins, masks, boots and other stuff from them, they ship fast and it's always been new, first quality stuff - usually in the mfr's packaging.

Scubatoys has in the past matched their prices for me. But then there's no 10% discount.

LRDWILDER
02-11-2009, 06:09
Blasphemy!!!!!!!!

maddhadder
02-11-2009, 06:34
Now, I put 20 lbs. on a rubber weight belt and the rest in the BC. It's MUCH easier to lift the rig and there's not a dramatic buoyancy difference between me and the scuba unit for an underwater ditch and don.

Surprisingly, there's NO DIFFERENCE IN COMFORT. I'd expected the weight belt to interfere with the legendary Zeagle comfort. It doesn't.

I currently need about 26lbs when I dive. As of right now its all in my Ranger, and exactly for the reason stated I want to switch some to a belt. Fisheater, or anyone else who wears a belt with their BC, where do you wear it? Is it under your cumberbun, as in between you and your b/c or is it lower than your cumberbun as in between bc and waist.

fisheater
02-11-2009, 09:29

I currently need about 26lbs when I dive. As of right now its all in my Ranger, and exactly for the reason stated I want to switch some to a belt. Fisheater, or anyone else who wears a belt with their BC, where do you wear it? Is it under your cumberbun, as in between you and your b/c or is it lower than your cumberbun as in between bc and waist.

It's under my cummerbund.

buseotico
02-28-2009, 21:40
I think the most important thing here is spread your weight. Although the Zeagle zip cord sistem can handle 30 lbs, notice there is an additional 20 rear. Think in terms of ditching. You only want to gain posative bouyancy, not dump it all. I am a multiple Zeagle owner and usualy do not require too much weight. But if you need a lot of weight keep some on your person (belt, harness) so you are neutral without gear, then take advantage of all weight pockets (so you do not dump all at once). What easier way to get a case of DCS than dump 30lbs at once?

buseotico
02-28-2009, 21:57
www.leisurepro.com (http://www.leisurepro.com) - one of the other - and likely the largest online retailer. Before you get too excited by their prices, understand that they offer only their own warranty on deeply discounted stuff that they acquire through non-traditional means. Generally that can mean overstocks, buying closed diveops inventory, from overseas distributors and from what I've heard - some mfr's sell direct to them also - it's just not widely publicized.

Otoh, since they're an licensed Oceanic dealer, their Oceanic line is priced at what everybody else sells it for. I believe they're a Zeagle dealer now also.

IMO they're a good option for softgoods. I've bought fins, masks, boots and other stuff from them, they ship fast and it's always been new, first quality stuff - usually in the mfr's packaging.

Scubatoys has in the past matched their prices for me. But then there's no 10% discount.
I had bought quite a bit from Leisurepro, then I started dealing with Scubatoys. I had a good experience with the first, but my loyalty is now with Scubatoys. What great, personal service. Much faster, more responsive, and personalble