PDA

View Full Version : Generally, what are water surface conditions like in Oct/Nov?

Sansho
07-22-2008, 20:20
We'll be visiting Australia in late Oct/early Nov this year, for the first time. One of the activities we'll do is do dive the GBR. However, my wife, who snorkels, also can get seasick (Not asking for how to deal with that). If we go do a 3 day liveaboard, she is concerned about the level of waves (by comparison we have experience in New England, the East coast, and Florida in February, which can be quite choppy).

[Get to the question, man!] So, I know it's a very broad question with many variables, however, generally, how would you describe the surface wave conditions around the GBR in Oct/Nov? Assume we'd be Northeast of Port Douglas down to Cairns, although down Townsville direction is an option also.

TIA!

Reg
07-23-2008, 03:45
i found this website has some good guides

Seasonal information on the Cairns - Great Barrier Reef area - Metric (http://www.divethereef.com/Guides/SeasonsC.asp)

livinoz
07-28-2008, 16:57
We'll be visiting Australia in late Oct/early Nov this year, for the first time. One of the activities we'll do is do dive the GBR. However, my wife, who snorkels, also can get seasick (Not asking for how to deal with that). If we go do a 3 day liveaboard, she is concerned about the level of waves (by comparison we have experience in New England, the East coast, and Florida in February, which can be quite choppy).

[Get to the question, man!] So, I know it's a very broad question with many variables, however, generally, how would you describe the surface wave conditions around the GBR in Oct/Nov? Assume we'd be Northeast of Port Douglas down to Cairns, although down Townsville direction is an option also.

TIA!

That time of year is coming up to the "The Wet" as it's called and tends to be a bit windier and therefore choppier on the surface, though not too bad in my opinion. But if seasickness is a problem for her, I'd advise her to take precautions.

digitalman
07-28-2008, 23:04
I'd love to get a chance to visit Austrailia. Right now, I'm having trouble getting the wife to agree to more than a weekend away (she doesn't dive yet).

gbrdiver
08-18-2008, 19:44
That time of year is coming up to the "The Wet" as it's called and tends to be a bit windier and therefore choppier on the surface, though not too bad in my opinion. But if seasickness is a problem for her, I'd advise her to take precautions.

Actually the 'wet' normally starts around January...you can get evening storms on a regular basis in November - but hasen't happened like that for years. October can still be a little windy, but November, early December has to be the best time for the GBR - thats what I've noticed since I moved here 18 years ago anyway.

georoc01
08-19-2008, 09:15

Actually the 'wet' normally starts around January...you can get evening storms on a regular basis in November - but hasen't happened like that for years. October can still be a little windy, but November, early December has to be the best time for the GBR - thats what I've noticed since I moved here 18 years ago anyway.

As a Naive American, all of our maps & globes always had Australia down south. what I didn't realize was how close to the equator that area really is. Seas weren't a problem last November, but be prepared for some very warm temps, especially on your land days.

Travelnsj
08-19-2008, 19:20
If direction is an option...I'd head south and stay at Heron Island. I've been there 3 times. Diving is all around the island and is as good as in the Northern Good Barrier Reef....I get seasick also and like my feet on land.

roby jeff
12-11-2008, 07:31
hope you came to GBR and had a good time. we cruise the GBR on our boat from may to dec each year. normaly the best time of the year for flat seas and diving is mid oct to mid nov. this year it was november and its still very good but getting HOT and sticky when on land and around marinas. NOV this year around townsville was all 5 - 15 knots except for just 2-3 days...thats as good as it gets. Visability on the outer reefs was mostly 20 -25 me and way out in the coral sea 20 - 35 me.

gbrdiver
12-17-2008, 04:17
I'm down diving at South West Rocks at the moment - about 400km north of Sydney. Weather is excellent but the water is 10 deg cooler than Cairns at 19 deg celsius.

roby jeff
12-17-2008, 05:13
I Have Returned To victoria (the Bottom Of Australia)for The Summer. The Water Is Always very Cold Down Here. Diving Is Only For The Young And The Dedicated .i'm Neither ,so I'll Just Dream Of My Next 2009 Queensland Adventure.