PDA

View Full Version : Life insurance and diving

setesh
07-22-2008, 20:28
OK, this really chaps my hide :zx11pissed:

I am in decent physical shape, have no medical conditions, no family history of any conditions, and my blood tests came back spotless. Because of this they gave me a 'preferred' rate UNTIL they asked me if I was a diver. Answering 'yes' to this question took me down a full bracket. And admitting going below 50ft took me down even more! I had two calls asking me why I went below 50 feet and what the heck I was doing down there. After mentioning the word 'wreck' you would have thought I admitted to playing Russian roulette every night before bed.

Am I wrong to be angry about this? Am I missing something? Am I Evil Knievel in fins?

mchain
07-22-2008, 20:41
hmm... I hadn't thought about my life ins. since before I starting diving...

I don't remember them asking if I'm a diver or not but that was several years ago. Is this a standard question?

fireflock
07-22-2008, 20:43
Shop around. Different companies view things in different ways. If you use a broker, share this: Simplistic View Of Dive Fatality Risk (http://home.earthlink.net/~divegeeked/risk.htm) with him/her.

DAN also has some kind of arrangement for life insurance, but I don't know where it fits in the overall market.

setesh
07-22-2008, 20:48
It seemed like it. The rep rattled it off in a big list of questions like he was reading from a script.

setesh
07-22-2008, 20:52
Shop around. Different companies view things in different ways. If you use a broker, share this: Simplistic View Of Dive Fatality Risk (http://home.earthlink.net/%7Edivegeeked/risk.htm) with him/her.

DAN also has some kind of arrangement for life insurance, but I don't know where it fits in the overall market.

I guess that's what I'm going to have to do, shop around I mean.

scubasamurai
07-22-2008, 21:43
you should have answered no! than if something happen your spouse could have claimed you got cert after you took out a policy
i have met life and didn't have any such questions. did they see anything dive related when they intereviewed you?? i would check other places and companies and get a quote from them. they might not care.

SlvrDragon50
07-22-2008, 22:33
Thats ridiculous...

I'd go get another LI plan.

chace_nicole
07-22-2008, 22:54
Am I missing something? Am I Evil Knievel in fins?

Sure sounds like it! You daredevil you :smiley36:

rawalker
07-22-2008, 23:02
I bought my policy before I went for certification. I think you should give up diving and then by a policy. After that if you take it up again it is your own business. In this way you can answer the questions truthfully at the time you are purchasing the policy.
As I recall my father quit smoking before he bought his policies many years ago. At that time they didn't ask obout tabacco use in the last 5 years as they do now. He'd start smoking again a day later. Is it legal?
Yes, if you don't do it with intent to defraud the insurance company.

oddbod
07-23-2008, 01:17
My Life insurance , doesn't cover me for deeper than recreational limits, but doesn't list a depth or open ocean diving, again does not explain what that means, so I was thinking of having tattooed on my chest " If found please drag to shallow, sheltered water":smiley29:

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
07-23-2008, 09:08
I guess I ought to read my policy. I got my policy before I was certified so I'm pretty sure I'm covered.

mchain
07-23-2008, 10:16
My Life insurance , doesn't cover me for deeper than recreational limits, but doesn't list a depth or open ocean diving, again does not explain what that means, so I was thinking of having tattooed on my chest " If found please drag to shallow, sheltered water":smiley29:

lol, there ya go. That outta cover it.:smiley2:

Monkeylemon
07-23-2008, 10:29

LOL. Or how about "I Drowned While Diving And All I Got Was A Really Lousy Policy."

setesh
07-23-2008, 21:15
I bought my policy before I went for certification. I think you should give up diving and then by a policy. After that if you take it up again it is your own business. In this way you can answer the questions truthfully at the time you are purchasing the policy.
As I recall my father quit smoking before he bought his policies many years ago. At that time they didn't ask obout tabacco use in the last 5 years as they do now. He'd start smoking again a day later. Is it legal?
Yes, if you don't do it with intent to defraud the insurance company.

Hey, I like that idea! OK, you are all my witnesses. I officially give up diving as of right now!:smiley2: Now I can find some other company and not get ripped off for diving....which I don't do anymore so that's fair. Thanks rawalker!

setesh
07-23-2008, 21:17
so I was thinking of having tattooed on my chest " If found please drag to shallow, sheltered water":smiley29:

OMG, that is freakin hilarious! :smilie39:

setesh
07-23-2008, 21:25
Thats ridiculous...

I'd go get another LI plan.

Yeah, I guess that's why they were the cheapest, they only insure boring people.:smiley29: