PDA

View Full Version : What to Buy

srhtech
07-23-2008, 11:11
I am new to diving and underwater photography. I am looking for a camera system that I can build from. I am looking for something up to $1,000. I was looking at the Sea Life DC600 system with a wide angle lens a strobe and soem other accessories. Is this a good system or should I look into soemthing else.

For land cameras I use a Canon POwer Shot SD1000 and Canon Rebel. Not real sure that I would want to go the housing route but if it is better I would consider.

devildog
07-27-2008, 08:59
I own a DC600 and chosse it because I belived that A company that does only underwater would be the best pick but now I am not sure I made the best pick. It takes great pictures but the battery life on this camera is not very good. I have to keep three battery's charged for each dive day. I have spoken to other divers that went with more main stream camera and underwater housing. They have said that they do not the battery problem. On a dive in Belize, a diver had a Canon set up and only used 50% of his battery life on two tanks. He took about 75pics and some videos. I would check Olympus, Sony and Canon.

Sansho
07-27-2008, 09:09
While there is quite a variety of choices, I would go with a Canon SD870, a Canon housing, and a strobe. The SD870 has a wide angle lens, Canon housings are very good, and to take pictures in deeper water, you need a strobe. That setup would run around $1000, with the strobe being the most expensive part of the package. I'll be getting the SD870 and Canon housing before a trip later this year to Australia.

I also have a Rebel XT, however, the housings I've seen for them are expensive, and not cost competitive with the 870/housing combination. I'm not sure I want to lug an XT-sized housing underwater, and if the housing leaked, I'd rather lose the 870 than the XT.

To get into it, you might want to get a Canon housing for your SD1000, and start with that. Here's a link to the Canon housing at Amazon: Amazon.com: Canon WP-DC13 Waterproof Case for Canon SD1000 Digital Camera: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/Canon-WP-DC13-Waterproof-SD1000-Digital/dp/B000NSIKI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1217168577&sr=8-1)

DevilDiver
07-28-2008, 22:36
I would suggest looking at the Ikelite housing. This will take port adapters for wet lenses. Plus I believe Ikelite to be a better housing. You can call ST and order with your 10% discount. Should run around $275.

IK6147.10
(This compact digital housing is molded of corrosion free clear polycarbonate, it is virtually indestructible with heavy duty walls that allow it to operate safely to 60m (200 feet).

All functions of the camera are accessible, except the print button. A flash diffuser is included to aid in improving lighting quality when the camera's built-in flash is used to illuminate subjects underwater.

Accessory lens port adapters (not included) are available for the attachment of Ikelite, Inon, or Epoque external wide-angle lenses.

An external DS Substrobe is triggered off the camera's built-in flash by the optional EV Manual Controller, which provides 10 power settings for precise control of strobe output. An optional IK9523.31 Release Handle and Tray is required to attach DS SubStrobes.)

As far as strobes I would consider the Sea & Sea YS 27 DX with tray and arm.
Sea & Sea YS27 DX Strobe, Underwater Cameras, Sea & Sea, Sea & Sea YS27 DX Strobe (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=YS27DX)

Good luck!!

digitalman
07-28-2008, 22:42
I too will be looking into getting an UW setup in the near future. My wife wants one, so I'll be interested in any info provided as well.

maxmironov
08-30-2008, 12:50
i have a sea&sea dx-5d set up and i love it!

mrbheagney
09-02-2008, 21:18
You should go down the digital SLR in housing route. 1000 is not alot but it will get you started if you buy used equipment. Do not bother with digital compacts as they have too many limitations. Especially do not buy the Nikon Coolpix S3, it is a piece of junk and I have three. I will sell you one for a 1000 though. Good luck.