PDA

View Full Version : Help

Deb Diver
07-23-2008, 14:53
:smiley29: I'm working on my Open Water Cert with PADI and have finished the confined water section. I've been going to the pool for practice before I get to the open water bit, but I have a problem that I don't know how to solve. My BCD has intergrated weights, how can I practice removing my scuba unit underwater without floating away. I managed it so I could pass the confined water check but there has to be a better way. I feel like a baloon on a string.

Thanks

Deb

MSilvia
07-23-2008, 15:00
The simple answer is "wear a weight belt, and keep less lead in the integrated pockets." You want to weight yourself so you aren't floaty without your BC, and then put any additional weight you need in the pockets.

Personally, I avoid weight integration whenever possible for that very reason.

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
07-23-2008, 15:07
It takes some effort but the main thing is to make sure you don't let go of the BC. You can find several threads here that discuss splitting your weight between your BC and a belt. That may make it easier for you to manage the skill but be careful not to put too much weight on the belt otherwise if you need to ditch weight you'll still be negative.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
07-23-2008, 15:15
It takes some effort but the main thing is to make sure you don't let go of the BC. You can find several threads here that discuss splitting your weight between your BC and a belt. That may make it easier for you to manage the skill but be careful not to put too much weight on the belt otherwise if you need to ditch weight you'll still be negative.

Unlikely unless you are overweighted. Anyway, I'd ditch the belt first, then the pockets, and only if necessary.

MSilvia
07-23-2008, 15:20
be careful not to put too much weight on the belt otherwise if you need to ditch weight you'll still be negative.
How do you figure?

WetHog
07-23-2008, 15:21
I just finished my cert 2 months ago with a weight integrated BC and 6 mil of neo. Here is how I did it.

I kneeled on the platform (the bottom in the pool) and emptied my b/c I then undid all the clasp, velcro, etc. Pulled my left arm out, reached across my chest with my left arm and pulled the BC off of my right arm and pulled it in front of my body. This kept the entire unit, including weights, on top of my body.

To don the unit again I reversed it. Right arm went in, spun to the right, leaned to the left a bit, left arm went in, then it was a matter of hooking everything up again.

The important thing to remember is stay calm and keep the unit on top of your body to keep you down.

ertechsg
07-23-2008, 15:51
we we taught to keep our rt arm hooked on it to keep it from floating away.

Vercingetorix
07-23-2008, 15:55
but be careful not to put too much weight on the belt otherwise if you need to ditch weight you'll still be negative.All my weight is on my belt. My rig is a BP/W.

To paraphrase MSiliva (but he's too polite): WTF?

CompuDude
07-23-2008, 15:58
There are several ways. Sling it around to your front, as others have mentioned. Or lay down and put it on like a blanket. The important thing, as has been noted, is don't let go! Keep it on top of you as much as possible to help keep you down, so you don't end up floating up and hanging onto it sitting on the bottom like an anchor.

I, like Matt, prefer weight belts for this reason, too. But there are techniques to help deal with the issue.

DiverMAN
07-23-2008, 16:03
I had the same problem, but you just gotta hold on to the bc...

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
07-23-2008, 16:16
but be careful not to put too much weight on the belt otherwise if you need to ditch weight you'll still be negative.All my weight is on my belt. My rig is a BP/W.

I'm making the assumption that most would ditch their BC weights right away in an effort to get to the surface fast. In a panic situation if someone had too much weight on their belt and ditched their integrated the result would be more panic and still be stuck below the surface. That is how the discussion in my OW class went and it seemed to make sense to me. As it is I only use the integrated but to help the OP get through the skill for their OW I passed along what I thought would be helpful.:smiley13::smiley13::smiley13:

CompuDude
07-23-2008, 16:29

I'm making the assumption that most would ditch their BC weights right away in an effort to get to the surface fast. In a panic situation if someone had too much weight on their belt and ditched their integrated the result would be more panic and still be stuck below the surface. That is how the discussion in my OW class went and it seemed to make sense to me. As it is I only use the integrated but to help the OP get through the skill for their OW I passed along what I thought would be helpful.:smiley13::smiley13::smiley13:

Not that this should EVER happen, but. In a bp/w, you always have a minimum of 6 lbs on your rig, since that's the backplate. More if your tank is negatively buoyant (which it will be unless you're in an aluminum tank that's close to empty), so you should always be able to lose at least that much. Should be easily enough to make it easy to get to the surface, while still wearing the weight belt.

And ignoring for the moment why you're wearing a weight belt plus integrated (makes sense if you're trying to balance your rig... such as the purpose of this discussion), why can't you ditch the weight belt if you've already ditched your rig for some reason? Sure, you're going to do a Polaris missile impression, but as they say, better to be bent than drowned.

Deb Diver
07-24-2008, 18:58
Thanks Ya'll, I'll try my best to stay under my BCD and hang on. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Deb

squidward
07-27-2008, 21:42
3 ways we teach.
1. Remove left arm (after unbuckling and un"velro" the strap. While removing your right arm, make sure the scuba unit is in front of you (while leaning back slightly), just make sure you dump all the air. Then reverse the process
2. If it gets away from you when you remove your left arm, let the tank lay on the bottom of the pool, put your right arm back in and lay on your back and then put your left arm back in. Roll over and buckle everything back up.
3. If you are really good, every skill you do, you should be able to be buoyant, dont want to rest on the bottom of the ocean or reef,, get nuetral, take out your left arm then your right arm and roll over on your back, you should be nuetrally buoyant under the scuba unit, take a look at it and reverse the process. It is very easy with a weight integrated BC.

And at least 2/3 of your weight should be "ditchable"... no matter where you wear it.
:smiley31: